Gophers have sold 7000 Citrus Bowl Tickets...

I'm not so sure. When I go to GopherSports it only lets me purchase those seats 1 at a time. To get 4 together, we'll be a decent number of rows back.

I bought a block of tickets the other day for me and the rest of the Helium Society members who are making the trip down there. Our plane just touched down in Florida.

I met a guy at the Hyatt this morning that had some tie with the athletic department. He told me 8,400. FYIW

With 600 reserved for the band & traveling party=sellout!!!!

If the sellout is indeed true, this will put an end to the notion that Minnesota fans don't travel well. Glad those silly concerns will no longer be mentioned.

We're gonna need some people in attendance to post pictures, FYI.

We're gonna need some people in attendance to post pictures, FYI.

Would gopher fans travel better if the gophers bowl game was a opening round playoff game vs. being a one and done bowl game with the winner getting . . . a win. Wow am I tired of the pre-new years bowl games with thin crowds and teams playing for little or nothing (and you can see it in the quality of play).

IMO, this 4 team playoff needs to get to 8, 12 or 16 ASAP.

Would gopher fans travel better if the gophers bowl game was a opening round playoff game vs. being a one and done bowl game with the winner getting . . . a win. Wow am I tired of the pre-new years bowl games with thin crowds and teams playing for little or nothing (and you can see it in the quality of play).

Bowl games are usually pretty entertaining in my opinion. Going to 16 wouldn't change much anyways. All those thing crowds at the lesser bowls will still be the same because those teams won't be in the playoff. Most teams that would be in a 16 team playoff this year are already playing in a bowl that is sold out or nearly sold out.

My hope is that if they go to 8 teams or more, at least one round will be at the higher seed's home stadium.

Bowl games are usually pretty entertaining in my opinion. Going to 16 wouldn't change much anyways. All those thing crowds at the lesser bowls will still be the same because those teams won't be in the playoff. Most teams that would be in a 16 team playoff this year are already playing in a bowl that is sold out or nearly sold out.

My hope is that if they go to 8 teams or more, at least one round will be at the higher seed's home stadium.

I don't necessarily mind that the bowl games are all so far away as they are largely a meaningless game for rich alumni and southern based alumni to attend and for the team to have fun and get to play in one last game.

However, I wish they would expand to an 8 team playoff and have the first 2 rounds at the home team's site. Asking fans to travel to a conference championship game and then three more playoff games would get a little insane. I highly doubt most fan bases would fill up all those games.

I disagree. I think the 4 team playoff is enough. In football, the regular season already acts as a playoff. If you are #5, chances are you didn't prove worthy enough to be in the playoff. And bowl games like the one we are in are great. Fans can go spend a week in that city and have a blast. Hopefully we can all plan out vacations around a NYD bowl now. A playoff of more than 2 games would be a financial nightmare for fans trying to go to games

I disagree. I think the 4 team playoff is enough. In football, the regular season already acts as a playoff. If you are #5, chances are you didn't prove worthy enough to be in the playoff. And bowl games like the one we are in are great. Fans can go spend a week in that city and have a blast. Hopefully we can all plan out vacations around a NYD bowl now. A playoff of more than 2 games would be a financial nightmare for fans trying to go to games

TCU is proving that wrong this very second.

The average quality of a bowl bound team has been dropping since the mid 90's (based on FPI per 538). There are more bowls allowing worse teams to be showcased. 59.4% of FBS teams are going bowling this year (compared to ~30% in '95). This is probably why you have noticed a decrease in the quality of play in pre new years games.

I'm sure that I am biased, but it seems like we have been seeing a LOT more Gopher fans than Mizzou fans in downtown Orlando that past 2 days!

I'm sure that I am biased, but it seems like we have been seeing a LOT more Gopher fans than Mizzou fans in downtown Orlando that past 2 days!

They're still back home searching for the Garden of Eden.

Who cares whether the crowds are thin? Seeing as how most fans cannot afford to make the trips.....that is to be expected. Just look at the TV ratings. Even lower level bowls get huge ratings. Not to mention that they are all good matchups between teams that would rarely play one another. Creates great exposure for these teams.....and helps to create some bragging rights between the conferences.

Teams playing for nothing is a joke. If you don't think recruits see these games.....then you are dense. Makes sense though......the Bison play in a lesser league. No bowls for you.

TCU is proving that wrong this very second.

TCU is a legitimate national champion candidate. What happened to TCU is not fair or right. If they played it on the field, TCU could very well have taken it all. It's OSU that would have likely been #5 vs. TCU when you look at the list.

TCU is a legitimate national champion candidate. What happened to TCU is not fair or right. If they played it on the field, TCU could very well have taken it all. It's OSU that would have likely been #5 vs. TCU when you look at the list.

I agree with you to an extent, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. They weren't even the most deserving team in their conference.

Who cares whether the crowds are thin? Seeing as how most fans cannot afford to make the trips.....that is to be expected. Just look at the TV ratings. Even lower level bowls get huge ratings. Not to mention that they are all good matchups between teams that would rarely play one another. Creates great exposure for these teams.....and helps to create some bragging rights between the conferences.

Teams playing for nothing is a joke. If you don't think recruits see these games.....then you are dense. Makes sense though......the Bison play in a lesser league. No bowls for you.

Bison aren't playing in a Bowl, they are playing for their 12th National championship, and 15-17k Bison fans will travel to the game. If the bison were playing in the Auto Zone Bowl, essentially playing for nothing, that number of fans would drop by 10,000.

Sure it fun to go south for a warm weather game, but a meaningful playoff or championship game is much more fun than a meaningless bowl. Championship games hang on every play.

The gopher bowl game this year will be great, and it will be meaningful compared to the pervious few years. But if the gophers were in a playoff game, 9000 fans would turn into 25,000.

Way more in The Villages as well. We will have 12K+ there. I truly believe that.

Bison aren't playing in a Bowl, they are playing for a Junior Varsity National championship, and 15-17k Bison fans will travel to the game. If the Bison were playing in the Auto Zone Bowl, essentially playing for nothing, that number of fans would drop by 10,000.

Sure it fun to go south for a warm weather game, but a meaningful playoff or J.V. championship game is much more fun.

There, that clarified things. You're certainly entitled to your opinion.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Herd Bison aren't playing in a Bowl, they are playing for a Junior Varsity National championship, and 15-17k Bison fans will travel to the game. If the Bison were playing in the Auto Zone Bowl, essentially playing for nothing, that number of fans would drop by 10,000.

Sure it fun to go south for a warm weather game, but a meaningful playoff or J.V. championship game is much more fun.

Lol...nicely put Ice

Thanks. Now that post actually makes sense. P.S. How in the world does the university of north dakota even get brought up in this thread anyways? :confused:

Bison aren't playing in a Bowl, they are playing for their 12th National championship, and 15-17k Bison fans will travel to the game. If the bison were playing in the Auto Zone Bowl, essentially playing for nothing, that number of fans would drop by 10,000.

Sure it fun to go south for a warm weather game, but a meaningful playoff or championship game is much more fun than a meaningless bowl. Championship games hang on every play.

The gopher bowl game this year will be great, and it will be meaningful compared to the pervious few years. But if the gophers were in a playoff game, 9000 fans would turn into 25,000.

Again....you get it all wrong. When you play at the highest level in college football......the exposure of these football games is huge for recruiting, the fans, and the team getting a reward for their work. Win the game, go into the next season with confidence and a potential ranking.

It's important.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

With a Missouri update on official tickets sold through their university.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

An Alumni Association rep told me tonight MN has sold 1700 tickets to the tailgate party. Missouri sold around 800 to theirs.

Top Bottom