Gophers have ELEVEN 4-star players!

Three years ago, Charlie Condon attracted zero interest from pro scouts or NCAA Division I baseball programs. He wound up at Georgia as a preferred walk-on and redshirted during his first season in Athens.
Now he's the best prospect in the 2024 Draft and sits atop MLB Pipeline's updated and expanded Draft Top 150.
Stars can not predict future results only clicks. A great example sports are not a caste system based on stars. History has shown players grow, develop at different speeds. Which players are your favorite examples? Adam Thielen? He made Detroit Lakes known besides the 4th of July. Those players usually make the best teammates & stories. As no one cheers for Goliath just David.

Last edited:

I get that it’s an upgrade for us and our recent history, but it also feels kind of lame to be parading it on social media. According to last years rosters that would only put us ahead of NW/ILL in the west and towards the bottom of the new B1G as a whole.

I love seeing the trends going in the right direction but maybe we should have waited until 18-20 4* to be flaunting it?
Wait for what reason? Explain how this has any effect on anything in a negative way? I'd guess 99%of Gopher fans would tell you this is very important, especially in relation to how we're viewed outside Minnesota. Its 100% on paper an upgrade over almost any Gopher roster in my lifetime. Now they need to develop of course, but I have no doubts this staff can develop players, especially RB, OL, S, CB. I think shortly here, we'll be producing monsters on the DL and edge based off the amazing work of Winston.

giphy.gif

This is social media now, you'll have to get used to it. But, hey...It sure beats the old days when our recruiting battles were against the likes of Miami (OH), South Dakota, Illinois, Bowling Green, Texas St., etc.
Just gotta enjoy it.
This 1000 x's. Not that long ago during the Mason years this was the norm. How quickly people forget.....

Three years ago, Charlie Condon attracted zero interest from pro scouts or NCAA Division I baseball programs. He wound up at Georgia as a preferred walk-on and redshirted during his first season in Athens.
Now he's the best prospect in the 2024 Draft and sits atop MLB Pipeline's updated and expanded Draft Top 150.
Stars can not predict future results only clicks. A great example sports are not a caste system based on stars. History has shown players grow, develop at different speeds. Which players are your favorite examples? Adam Thielen? He made Detroit Lakes known besides the 4th of July. Those players usually make the best teammates & stories. As no one cheers for Goliath just David.
History has also shown that 4 and 5 star players have a greater chance of being very good players. Nothing is guaranteed of course. But getting good production out of 4 and 5 star guys is a lot easier than finding those sleepers. For every Condon or Thielen, there's hundreds of guys that did little or nothing. People cheer for them because it's pretty rare.

No matter how you cut it this is a positive. One sure indicator that Fleck is improving Gopher football prospects for success, no guarantee but as the above post indicate it improves the likelihood of increased success. With NLI a team’s potential can change overnight, I’m ready for some Gopher football!

Last edited:

Huge GROWTH for the program, and I love that there are in-state guys and impactful positions like DL, OL & WR. There is no reason to suggest it won't continue. So get any negativity out of here.

We're about on par for blue chips now with Iowa. It's showing on the field. Who hates Iowa?

Per Rivals, Wisconsin signed 11 four-star freshmen in 2024. Fickell's first full cycle.

Like @FredCoxRocks said, as long as we're consistently in recruiting battles with major P4 schools, we will always have a shot on the field. Plus, I like our player development a little more. Go Gophers :)

Shouldn't this be directed at Out State Gopher?
I took it as a joke, but I guess if it really was to tie Gopher Sports to Donald Trump(which seems a reach) then I suppose so.

I took it as a joke, but I guess if it really was to tie Gopher Sports to Donald Trump(which seems a reach) then I suppose so.
He hasn't really processed his Junior High experience yet.

I have been outspoken about the folly of getting overly wrapped up in recruiting rankings because they are very flawed in a lot of ways. But it is undeniable that the chances of a 4* or 5* player panning out are definitely better than those of lower rated recruits.

The recruiting sites are good at identifying and ranking top tier prospects, it is once you get beyond the best of the best that their value diminishes very quickly.

Lot of young guys on that list who still need to prove themselves at the college level. Hopefully the majority of them stick around and pan out.
That's the trick. keeping players that are loyal to the program, they are out there.

Wins are a powerful antidote for Gopherholer ailments.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Considering what he has to work with (NIL money) this is a great accomplishment.
Could you please tell me how much we have to work with in NIL money exactly? There is a perception among some that the Gophs are at the very bottom of the NIL ladder in the BIG. Please point me to the data that says this.

Could you please tell me how much we have to work with in NIL money exactly? There is a perception among some that the Gophs are at the very bottom of the NIL ladder in the BIG. Please point me to the data that says this.
Nobody knows.

That is a question that nobody can answer. There are guesses out there but there is so much grey area in this NIL/Pay for Play landscape that I don't htink anyone really knows what any team is working with exactly.

That is a question that nobody can answer. There are guesses out there but there is so much grey area in this NIL/Pay for Play landscape that I don't htink anyone really knows what any team is working with exactly.
Agreed. So I don't understand why some posters keep saying we have very little NIL money. The general perception seems to be that almost every other school has some big fat cat alum willing to step in and donate tons to NIL. But the same perception is that we do not. Really? My guess is that we are in the same general area with NIL as most BIG schools except OSU, Michigan, Nebraska and PSU. I have nothing to prove that either but it makes sense to me.

Agreed. So I don't understand why some posters keep saying we have very little NIL money. The general perception seems to be that almost every other school has some big fat cat alum willing to step in and donate tons to NIL. But the same perception is that we do not. Really? My guess is that we are in the same general area with NIL as most BIG schools except OSU, Michigan, Nebraska and PSU. I have nothing to prove that either but it makes sense to me.
Yeah....I mean we know we are not in a position to throw around the crazy money that some schools can but football was able to retain nearly all of their key players so we are clearly able to do something on the NIL/Pay for Play front. Basketball is a bit of a different animal but even there it is really hard to way what is real and what ins't in terms of the numbers being tossed around.

Be competitive with Wisconsin and Iowa and we're good. I don't expect the Gophers to pass Ohio State. Play the West Coast teams competitively. Make a decent bowl game.

Gophers look solid to me. A good new QB is running the team now.

Top Bottom