Gophers have at least 3 Friday night games

Then watch the game live. You have a choice. I understand that 5% of fans have Friday night commitments. That's about the percentage that doesn't like Friday games and complain. They also complain about the weather, standing in line at concessions and the men's bathroom. And Joel Maturi and Jerry Kill.

There are going to be no fans at the games, so really, what difference does it make?

There are some who always complain. Can't believe some haven't started complaining that the Michigan opener is starting too late or that too many people might be watching. I swear, it never ends...

There are some who always complain. Can't believe some haven't started complaining that the Michigan opener is starting too late or that too many people might be watching. I swear, it never ends...
No attendance took a majority of their usual complaint reasons away for not attending (traffic, start times, parking, tailgating, etc...), but many of the same are complaining about no attendance. :rolleyes:;)

Then watch the game live. You have a choice. I understand that 5% of fans have Friday night commitments. That's about the percentage that doesn't like Friday games and complain. They also complain about the weather, standing in line at concessions and the men's bathroom. And Joel Maturi and Jerry Kill.

There are going to be no fans at the games, so really, what difference does it make?
Good idea.
I’ll quit on the kids I coach. High school football players and coaches across the state will miss it.

It’s fine. They can play Friday. I’ll miss it. Thousands of other football people across the state will miss it.
I’ll be okay missing it. Will you be okay with me thinking it is stupid to play Friday? Do you think you can get over it?

Even you found a reason to complain. Good job proving your own point.

Do you think that it is okay for people who can’t watch a game due to it being on an irregular day compared to the history of the sport to be disappointed in the day of the game? Is that okay?

I’ll try to consult with you next time I state my opinion on a message board to see if it’s okay

Good idea.
I’ll quit on the kids I coach. High school football players and coaches across the state will miss it.

It’s fine. They can play Friday. I’ll miss it. Thousands of other football people across the state will miss it.
I’ll be okay missing it. Will you be okay with me thinking it is stupid to play Friday? Do you think you can get over it?

Thousands?? Hahaha

Even you found a reason to complain. Good job proving your own point.

Do you think that it is okay for people who can’t watch a game due to it being on an irregular day compared to the history of the sport to be disappointed in the day of the game? Is that okay?

I’ll try to consult with you next time I state my opinion on a message board to see if it’s okay

The world is a changing place there, Ol' Coachie. There are NFL games 5-6 days a week this year. But yeah, I'm sure your crying will definitely override the millions in TV money and the EXPONENTIALLY HIGHER exposure the Gophers can get on a Friday vs a Saturday morning.

Thousands?? Hahaha
The world is a changing place there, Ol' Coachie. There are NFL games 5-6 days a week this year. But yeah, I'm sure your crying will definitely override the millions in TV money and the EXPONENTIALLY HIGHER exposure the Gophers can get on a Friday vs a Saturday morning.
I never said it should override nor do I expect it to

Ido find it frustrating
Is that okay?

One thousand people attending and participating in high school football is probably a conservative estimate.

But you can't possibly be arguing that all 1,000 or even 500 would also be people who spend their Saturday watching the Gophers. We aren't in Georgia or Alabama. Sorry

But you can't possibly be arguing that all 1,000 or even 500 would also be people who spend their Saturday watching the Gophers. We aren't in Georgia or Alabama. Sorry
There are 357 high school football teams in Minnesota.

if there are 35 guys on each team (very conservative estimate) and 120 fans for each team (the state regulated number) that’s about 55k people in the state of Minnesota on a Friday night.

While I wouldn’t say they all would participate in watching a college football game...on average people that play football and watch high school football are more likely to watch a game than the general public.

Maybe you disagree.
If you really think fewer than 500 people are missing a game they’d have otherwise watched you’re fooling yourself.

As you said, not enough to impact tv dollars. But certainly significant to me and the others who’d like to do both.

without high school football college football doesn’t exist

There are 357 high school football teams in Minnesota.

if there are 35 guys on each team (very conservative estimate) and 120 fans for each team (the state regulated number) that’s about 55k people in the state of Minnesota on a Friday night.

While I wouldn’t say they all would participate in watching a college football game...on average people that play football and watch high school football are more likely to watch a game than the general public.

Maybe you disagree.
If you really think fewer than 500 people are missing a game they’d have otherwise watched you’re fooling yourself.

As you said, not enough to impact tv dollars. But certainly significant to me and the others who’d like to do both.

without high school football college football doesn’t exist

Maybe 500 total, but not 500 at every game. Definitely not multiple thousands

Maybe 500 total, but not 500 at every game. Definitely not multiple thousands
There aren’t 500 people total at every game right now.
The limit is about 480

so yeah, you’re smart

We should probably get the Game Announcers thread up and running...
That's an A Team Lineup.
Fowler, Herbstreit and Taylor Return for ABC’s Saturday Night Football
Chris Fowler, Kirk Herbstreit and reporter Maria Taylor will again call the weekly ABC Saturday Night Football marquee matchup. The 2020 season marks Fowler and Herbstreit’s seventh year in the SNF booth and their 25th season as college football partners, having worked together since 1996 on College GameDay. Fowler and Herbstreit have called every College Football Playoff National Championship and they will work their first NFL game together Sept. 14 on ESPN’s Monday Night Football. Herbstreit recently earned his fifth Sports Emmy award as Outstanding Sports Event Analyst, while Fowler is ESPN’s lead voice for both Grand Slam tennis and college football. Taylor, host of ESPN’s NBA Countdown and NCAA Women’s Final Four studio coverage, has been part of Saturday Night Football since 2017.

That's an A Team Lineup.
Fowler, Herbstreit and Taylor Return for ABC’s Saturday Night Football
Chris Fowler, Kirk Herbstreit and reporter Maria Taylor will again call the weekly ABC Saturday Night Football marquee matchup. The 2020 season marks Fowler and Herbstreit’s seventh year in the SNF booth and their 25th season as college football partners, having worked together since 1996 on College GameDay. Fowler and Herbstreit have called every College Football Playoff National Championship and they will work their first NFL game together Sept. 14 on ESPN’s Monday Night Football. Herbstreit recently earned his fifth Sports Emmy award as Outstanding Sports Event Analyst, while Fowler is ESPN’s lead voice for both Grand Slam tennis and college football. Taylor, host of ESPN’s NBA Countdown and NCAA Women’s Final Four studio coverage, has been part of Saturday Night Football since 2017.
In my quest for old Gopher games, I came across this Herbstreit highlight against us.

A minimum of 4 nationally televised night games is a great thing - even if on a Friday night. I remember it wasn't long ago we started our season on Thursday just to guarantee we could get one night game that would be nationally televised. While I don't like competing with the Friday night lights of MN, I do like the fact that our games will be on as HS FB players hang out with their friends after the HS games (if they still have games that is). The more PJ gets in front of people the better. Remember our games had good ratings last year and I expect this could be just what the Row the Boat ordered. The only way we keep PJ around is if he can spread his culture nationally. The only way the U of M ponies up to keep him here is if they see the U of M brand become bigger across the nation. While I don't like the 3 Friday games, I do like the exposure.

A minimum of 4 nationally televised night games is a great thing - even if on a Friday night. I remember it wasn't long ago we started our season on Thursday just to guarantee we could get one night game that would be nationally televised. While I don't like competing with the Friday night lights of MN, I do like the fact that our games will be on as HS FB players hang out with their friends after the HS games (if they still have games that is). The more PJ gets in front of people the better. Remember our games had good ratings last year and I expect this could be just what the Row the Boat ordered. The only way we keep PJ around is if he can spread his culture nationally. The only way the U of M ponies up to keep him here is if they see the U of M brand become bigger across the nation. While I don't like the 3 Friday games, I do like the exposure.

I thought the whole Thursday night thing started because Coach Kill thought for whatever reason that starting the season on the road was a huge disadvantage for the Gophers. With the State Fair conflict for parking the only option was to start the season on Thursday nights.

Personally, I have grown to really enjoy the Thursday night debuts:

- Get to enjoy Gopher football 2 days earlier
- Great reason to take Friday off. 4 day Labor Day weekend
- Frees up Labor Day Weekend for other stuff, like a Fri-Sat tee times
- Gophers get 2 extra days off to prepare for Week 2
- Prime Time. Love it under the lights at the Bank

The one that hurts the worst is Iowa at 6pm

I love night games, even Friday night games. Too bad it's the year I can't go to the games

I remember when the Gophers used to have a promotion specifically for HS FB teams. if a team bought group tickets, and wore their jerseys to the game, they got a special rate. Anybody know if that is still in effect? that was a great way to get kids to the game and help grow a new generation of Gopher fans.

Obviously, that does not work for a Friday night game.

I'm old and nostalgic. I think all college football games should kick off at Noon or 3:00pm on Saturday. Maybe have one big rivalry TV game Saturday night.

And in closing - the Michigan game (aka the 4th quarter from hell) was a Friday night game. because of that, I am superstitious about all Friday night games.

And in closing - the Michigan game (aka the 4th quarter from hell) was a Friday night game. because of that, I am superstitious about all Friday night games.

They came close to repeating that vs Indiana on a rainy Friday night 2 years ago, but hung in there for the win. So all good now. There were hundreds of fans to witness that finish.

They came close to repeating that vs Indiana on a rainy Friday night 2 years ago, but hung in there for the win. So all good now. There were hundreds of fans to witness that finish.
I was there to the bitter end! Honestly, the cold/poor weather games are the ones that end up being most memorable.

That Indiana game...SJSU with 1? completion, Nebraska last year, etc

The one that hurts the worst is Iowa at 6pm

To be fair, Iowa was already going to be a Friday night game on the original pre-COVID schedule. So we had that news at least 6-8 months ago

My brother got married that day, so I had to sell my tickets. @fencejumper took my stead though!

To be fair, Iowa was already going to be a Friday night game on the original pre-COVID schedule. So we had that news at least 6-8 months ago
Yep. And it looks like the times are set for Iowa (6 pm) as well as Maryland (6 pm); so Purdue is the only Friday game for which we are waiting on the time.

This year don't mind the Friday games as it is hard to attend events in person anyway, and the national exposure will be great, but a compromise with in-state recruits possibly not being able to watch. The good news, in my market (PNW) I should be able to catch all the games pretty easily! Go Gophers!

Top Bottom