Gophers guard Both Gach is expected to enter the transfer portal

Next year will probably be rough when it comes to wins and losses, but I’m looking forward to seeing how the team develops and comes together and seeing how 2022 recruiting shakes out. The MN class is so deep and I have faith that they will hit on many of those guys. That’s what keeps me engaged and interested post-coaching change.
Faith is in my wheel house and I clearly don’t have as much as you do. Externally this is looking like a disaster. Maybe there is some quiet movement with 22 but no evidence now.

It’s clear to me we didn’t have money available (or we did but it is earmarked for something else already) and he thought Ben was the best of the cheap guys.
If we had money problems then why did we pay 1.9 to a guy who would have sprinted to sign for about 1.2 mil with incentives? We may not have had the money to pay Mussy ( 4mil) but we had money and boosters would have helped for the right name.

There's no way this is anything other than bad. Not saying Ben can't fix it, but what a cataclysmic beginning to your first coaching job. I feel for him.
He took the job. I don't feel any sympathy for him.

If we had money problems then why did we pay 1.9 to a guy who would have sprinted to sign for about 1.2 mil with incentives? We may not have had the money to pay Mussy ( 4mil) but we had money and boosters would have helped for the right name.
Not sure he would’ve come for that.

Although I would have liked to see Gach return, I'm not so concerned about losing him because there are four other veteran guards on the roster and plenty of guards left in the transfer portal. I'm more concerned about getting a couple of capable big men because the pickings in the transfer portal are much slimmer there.

This is good thing. It's his team now. All the players (but one) are players he recruited here. It moves his timeline up in my opinion. If he is the kind of coach Coyle thinks he is, this is good because he can have his players playing his system from day one.

Good luck coach, you got your wish!

How many players do we have now?
1 returner
1 incoming freshman
5 transfers?

per STrib:

Gophers junior guard Both Gach was one of two players still on the roster from last season, but he's now expected to enter the transfer portal, a source told the Star Tribune.

Gach, a 6-foot-6 former Austin standout, transferred back to his home state last year after spending his first two seasons at Utah. He averaged 6.8 points, 3.7 rebounds and 1.9 assists in 29 games last season, which included 16 starts.

In seven nonconference games, Gach averaged 14.7 points, 6.4 rebounds, 3.6 assists and shot 57% from the field, but he had a difficult time adjusting to Big Ten play, especially after a lingering foot injury.

Go Gophers!!
What did BJ say that Gach went on the portal and what is he telling Ihnen. From here BJ can't stop MN kids from transferring hows he going to talk MN recurits into coming to the U?

There is something unusual about this many players fleeing for what they perceive as a better environment.
It was going to be a very difficult year no matter whom was hired but this is a bit more than difficult.
The truth will come out when the next two years recruiting classes are signed.
The coach will be able to promise recruits without fear of being contradicted lots of playing time.

This is good thing. It's his team now. All the players (but one) are players he recruited here. It moves his timeline up in my opinion. If he is the kind of coach Coyle thinks he is, this is good because he can have his players playing his system from day one.

Good luck coach, you got your wish!
Agree. Plus when you run Gach's career numbers he is not efficient.Did Ben say he wanted him back before Thorson was hired ?

Last edited:

No reason to feel bad for Ben Johnson. He wanted the job, the U gave him job now it’s on him to do the
He took the job. I don't feel any sympathy for him.
The word last week from the inside is that Ben is doin nothing and that includes conversing with the current athletes. The proof is now in front of us.

It has been shut down for all intents and purposes . This is the real attempt to build from the ground up. A long missed foundation.
Are there any Bennett cousins under 30 with un-expired eligibility?

That’s right. He just took his dream job and now he’s just sitting around doing nothing. How can you even type that crap
Right. It's clear SpNo has lost it and isn't worth listening to.

Top Bottom