Gophers football OK with Big Ten ditching divisions if rivalry games remain

I'd take NW or Illinois over Nebraska, any day.

Nebraska gets you nothing. There's no history there -- because of course, they were only just let into the conference.

Would rather have away trips to recruiting areas in Illinois/Chicago, over low-population corn fields.

Here are the obvious ones, in my opinion, for the protected 3 of each:

Minn - Iowa, Wisc, Mich
Iowa - Minn, Wisc, Neb
Neb - Iowa
Wisc - Minn, Iowa,
NW - ILL
ILL - NW, Purdue
Pur - ILL, Ind
Ind - Pur
MSU - Mich
Mich - MSU, Ohio St, Minn
OSU - Mich
PSU - Rut, Mary
Rut - Mary, PSU
Mary - Rut, PSU

But how do you fill the rest of it in optimally?

So to address Some Guy's points, basically, at the end of the day, divisionless is going to win out because Michigan and Penn St can't get to the Big Ten Championship game without beating Ohio State.

That's the long and the short of it.

West teams will suffer, so that Ohio St v Michigan, Michigan v Penn St, and Ohio St v Penn St championship games can have the possibility of happening.
Ding, ding, ding. Basically, the conference wants to boost TV ratings for the championship game and retain the possibility of getting two high-profile teams from the East into the CFP like the SEC has routinely done. If OSU can navigate the regular season undefeated and lose to fellow undefeated PSU, for example, the chances of both teams making the playoff is much higher than if OSU had lost to a team from the West b/c it's likely PSU is ranked much higher than, say, Minnesota for many reasons we've witnessed year after year.

The article said since not every team has 3 rivalries to preserve, it's possible the 3rd "protected" game for some teams will rotate. For us it said Iowa and Wisconsin would likely always stay, but possibly we swap Nebraska out after a few years for Michigan, and maybe Wisconsin swaps them for NW, and then Nebraska could have 2 other games they have "protected" for a little while.

From the article:
Each school has its own preferences. Iowa could play Minnesota, Wisconsin and Nebraska and never change it. Perhaps Penn State’s protected games would include Michigan State, Ohio State and Maryland for the first five-year block. Then after five years, the league could swap Rutgers for Maryland. Over a 10-year period, Penn State would play both Maryland and Rutgers eight times rather than one team every year and the other only six.

In the inaugural five-year cycle, maybe Nebraska faces Iowa, Wisconsin and Minnesota. But if the Huskers return to their 1990s form, then maybe a schedule alteration could include a five-year block with Ohio State instead of Minnesota. Or maybe the Gophers rekindle their Little Brown Jug series with Michigan and the Badgers meet Northwestern while both keep Iowa and one another.

Without a doubt, if it were 3 protected, I think Minnesota would submit their desire to play Iowa, Wisc, and Michigan every year, to the conference.

Every school would submit their ideal three teams. Then the conference would have to figure out how to compromise that, along with their own goals (maximize TV ratings and thus revenue).

Would Michigan put us on their top 3?? Interesting question. Obviously they'd put Ohio St and Michigan St. Do they (and their fans) feel more strongly about any other Big Ten team, than Minnesota? Indiana and Wisconsin are technically "border rivalries".

They have a new trophy game with NW, which gets them in Chicago (sorta) every other year to a huge alumni base. If they envision that game being played at a new NFL domed stadium in the not too distant future, rather than in Evanston, that might get it over the hump.
I disagree that Minnesota would submit a desire to play Michigan every year. It's approaching 20 years since the consecutive year streak was broken and match-ups since have been sporadic.

Personally, I know I am over it. In general I think it would put the Gophers at a competitive disadvantage to have to play the Wolverines annually.

Why Nebraska?
Nobody else wants them? They’ve turned into the whiny RED headed step child of the B1G.

Seriously, I think NE groups well with MN, IA and WI. I’d rather have MI, but that isn’t happening as they’ll be with OH. NU would be a good choice, but they’ll be with IL as in state rivals.

The article said since not every team has 3 rivalries to preserve, it's possible the 3rd "protected" game for some teams will rotate. For us it said Iowa and Wisconsin would likely always stay, but possibly we swap Nebraska out after a few years for Michigan, and maybe Wisconsin swaps them for NW, and then Nebraska could have 2 other games they have "protected" for a little while.
Right, good point.

With a 9 game schedule, you'd have 6 conf games left outside your protected 3, times 5 years is 30 games = 3 games each for those remaining 10 teams.

So yes, you could ask every school if they're good with their three, or if they'd like to switch it up, every five years. Schools like Penn St, Rutgers, Maryland, probably feel like they have no natural rivalries they'd like to continuously protect.

Also, the conference might want to try to promote the top teams playing every year, if/when the power shifts. If Minnesota becomes an annual top 15 program, that matchup with Michigan might turn into a higher ratings TV game.

If they go to a 10 game schedule, then you could play each of those 10 teams 4 times in 5 years, 2 home and 2 away. That also gets rid of some teams having 4 home/5 away in a year with 9 conf games.

Seems like a no-brainer.

Without a doubt, if it were 3 protected, I think Minnesota would submit their desire to play Iowa, Wisc, and Michigan every year, to the conference.

Every school would submit their ideal three teams. Then the conference would have to figure out how to compromise that, along with their own goals (maximize TV ratings and thus revenue).

Would Michigan put us on their top 3?? Interesting question. Obviously they'd put Ohio St and Michigan St. Do they (and their fans) feel more strongly about any other Big Ten team, than Minnesota? Indiana and Wisconsin are technically "border rivalries".

They have a new trophy game with NW, which gets them in Chicago (sorta) every other year to a huge alumni base. If they envision that game being played at a new NFL domed stadium in the not too distant future, rather than in Evanston, that might get it over the hump.
I disagree with Michigan. We have very few ties in the last 30 years.

A game for history’s sake. I would rather play Nebraska, northwestern, or Purdue than Michigan every year.

I am all for tradition and history.

But in today's landscape with today's athletes, does the Little Brown Jug still mean something?

If it was up to me, I would play Nebraska every year and play Michigan 3 times in a five-year period. That preserves the Jug game on at least a semi-regular basis, while building up what I see as a more natural rivalry between MN and Neb.

having said that, if teams can only have two "protected" games, then it has to be IA and WI. But, if they go with 3 protected games, then I take Neb over Michigan. (ugly helmets....)

Nebraska gets you nothing. There's no history there -- because of course, they were only just let into the conference.

Would rather have away trips to recruiting areas in Illinois/Chicago, over low-population corn fields.
I'm probably in the minority, but I would much prefer Nebraska (if it's three) to Illinois or Northwestern. I feel like we have a pretty good budding rivalry started since they joined. As for history, we've played Nebraska 62 times (we lead 35-24-2) and Illinois 74 (40-31-3) -- not that big a difference.

I'll add this: I'm 57 and never in my lifetime have I considered Michigan a football rival. And they can't possibly think of us that way -- jug or not. If that was ever a rivalry, it pretty much ended when I was born.

I'm probably in the minority, but I would much prefer Nebraska (if it's three) to Illinois or Northwestern. I feel like we have a pretty good budding rivalry started since they joined. As for history, we've played Nebraska 62 times (we lead 35-24-2) and Illinois 74 (40-31-3) -- not that big a difference.

I'll add this: I'm 57 and never in my lifetime have I considered Michigan a football rival. And they can't possibly think of us that way -- jug or not. If that was ever a rivalry, it pretty much ended when I was born.
Who wouldn't prefer the broken chair over the Little Brown Jug!

*IF* Nebraska becomes a protected annual rival for us in the new divisionless system, I would like to see a real, actual officially recognized trophy with them be created.

Or an official trophy for the overall winner of the "quadrangle".

Nebraska has official trophies with Iowa (Heroes) and Wisconsin (Freedom).

*IF* Nebraska becomes a protected annual rival for us in the new divisionless system, I would like to see a real, actual officially recognized trophy with them be created.

We already have the Broken Chair Trophy. What more could we possibly want...the Little Brown Jug?

3 trophies should have been enough. 3 decades for the Victory Bell with Penn St.

Big whoop.

We've played nebraska more than ohio state and only 6 less times than indiana and 13 less than illinois. It's not like they're rutgers or maryland

I am genuinely curious about how others here feel about the following...

What is magical, for even necessary about playing every other B1G team a certain number of times in a certain number of seasons? Is it simply to maintain competitive balance throughout the entire conference?

Speaking strictly as a fan I don't care much if the Gophers only played, say, Indiana or Rutgers or Maryland once in a blue moon. I want to play Wisconsin, Iowa and Nebraska every season. I want to play the other B1G West teams, although it doesn't have to be every year. And I definitely would like a chance, on a semi-regular basis, to see if we can compete with Ohio State and Michigan. But I am really not invested in playing Indiana or Rutgers or Maryland.

As far as the West Coast teams are concerned, I'm somewhat ambivalent.

What do others think?

Maybe they need to move Mich-Ohio State off of the last week? Traditionalists will gnash their teeth, but ...

Well, let's face facts: in 2023, it's going to be Minnesota vs Ohio State in Indianapolis, and that will only be 2 weeks after we beat them in The Horseshoe.

I can't say I'll be bored with it...;)

I am genuinely curious about how others here feel about the following...

What is magical, for even necessary about playing every other B1G team a certain number of times in a certain number of seasons? Is it simply to maintain competitive balance throughout the entire conference?

Speaking strictly as a fan I don't care much if the Gophers only played, say, Indiana or Rutgers or Maryland once in a blue moon. I want to play Wisconsin, Iowa and Nebraska every season. I want to play the other B1G West teams, although it doesn't have to be every year. And I definitely would like a chance, on a semi-regular basis, to see if we can compete with Ohio State and Michigan. But I am really not invested in playing Indiana or Rutgers or Maryland.

As far as the West Coast teams are concerned, I'm somewhat ambivalent.

What do others think?
Other than your desire to play Nebraska every year, I agree with everything else in your post.

Playing the Cornhuskers regularly, would be just fine with me. Doesn't have to be annually.

Other than your desire to play Nebraska every year, I agree with everything else in your post.

Playing the Cornhuskers regularly, would be just fine with me. Doesn't have to be annually.

Yes, I would definitely put that game third, after Iowa and Wisconsin.

Any Gopher fan who doesn't want to preserve divisions is nuts.
Personally I would love Big 10 Divisions to continue as currently constructed with a modification for the entrance of USC/UCLA.

But it's not going to happen.

Broadcast partners don't want it and it has an impact on the future CFB Playoffs. I thought they would for sure be done by 2023 and came to grips with it well before that. Divisions got a season's reprieve until the LA schools are in.

Last edited:

2 saved rivalry games in new B1G:

Maryland: Penn State, Rutgers
Penn State: Maryland, Ohio State
Rutgers: Maryland, Illinois
Ohio State: Penn State, Michigan
Michigan: Ohio State, Michigan State
Michigan State: Michigan, USC
USC: Michigan State, UCLA
UCLA: USC, Nebraska
Nebraska: UCLA, Illinois
Illinois: Nebraska, Indiana
Indiana: Illinois, Purdue
Purdue: Indiana, Northwestern
Wisconsin: Iowa, Minnesota
Iowa: Minnesota, Wisconsin
Minnesota: Wisconsin, Iowa
Northwestern: Purdue, ?????

The math just doesn’t work out for 16 teams with 2 saved rivalries.

And you have to save the Minnesota-Iowa-Wisconsin three way!

That last bit sounds like a Good Friday evening!

2 saved rivalry games in new B1G:

Maryland: Penn State, Rutgers
Penn State: Maryland, Ohio State
Rutgers: Maryland, Illinois
Ohio State: Penn State, Michigan
Michigan: Ohio State, Michigan State
Michigan State: Michigan, USC
USC: Michigan State, UCLA
UCLA: USC, Nebraska
Nebraska: UCLA, Illinois
Illinois: Nebraska, Indiana
Indiana: Illinois, Purdue
Purdue: Indiana, Northwestern
Wisconsin: Iowa, Minnesota
Iowa: Minnesota, Wisconsin
Minnesota: Wisconsin, Iowa
Northwestern: Purdue, ?????

The math just doesn’t work out for 16 teams with 2 saved rivalries.

And you have to save the Minnesota-Iowa-Wisconsin three way!

That last bit sounds like a Good Friday evening!
Some BIG teams, particularly the more recent ones into the BIG, may not desire two or one guaranteed rival games.

We've played nebraska more than ohio state and only 6 less times than indiana and 13 less than illinois.
I'm very surprised to learn that over 1932 - 1974 -- 43 seasons -- the Gophers and Nebraska played 33 times!

There would seem to be no obvious or good reason to do that game, so often, when Nebraska was never good enough to earn a Big Ten invite in that time.

Over 1975-2010 -- 36 seasons -- they only played four times. (1983,84,89,90) That seems more correct to me, and is much more recent history that people actually remember.

Then every year since Nebraska joined the Big Ten in 2011.

Personally I would love Big 10 Divisions to continue as currently constructed with a modification for the entrance of USC/UCLA.
No doubt that playing NW, Purdue, Illinois, and Nebraska every year has boosted Fleck's (conference) win total. None of those schools are special to the U and playing them shouldn't mean anything more than playing any other Big Ten team. But they have been good for our program.

Now, we'll play every Big Ten team at a minimum every other year. That's not a bad thing, in general. May mean fewer wins for the good guys though.

Top Bottom