Gophers fans, you have an 8 hour flight, you get to pick your seat, where are you sitting?

6 would be the most entertaining spot but not sure I want a middle seat between two large wrestlers.

So I'm sticking to the left hand side of the plane, not really a bad choice there. Goldy if you are looking for piece and quiet or the rest for interesting conversations. Would probably trend towards Decker or Jackson before the coaches.

I flew back from the Sun Bowl in the middle seat between 2 Gopher OLmen so I've already done 6.

Bobby Jackson any day of the week and twice on Sunday most clutch Gopher of my lifetime and not even close.

Next to Herb Brooks would be my choice. As I love hockey and a former hockey referee, I would love to hear his stories on various events of his life.
Tell him to wear his seat belt and dont drive if he is tired. Gone way too early.

I'd select #5 as he's a second cousin

Pretty sure Herbie would not say a word unless he knew you
I don't know. Maybe. Maybe not. I've had the chance to meet (and have extended conversations with) a few famous hockey people and they were all really personable. So I'll assume the same was true of Herb. For me he'd definitely be the guy I'd have the most to talk to talk about with. PJ would probably be #2 on my list. Talking to a coach for me would be far more interesting than an athlete.

2, 4, 8 or 10.

Headphones on and watching movies or binging a series.

Give me an aisle and silence from my seat partner.

Herb would be the obvious choice, but I got to talk to him in person, same with Mchale. I would have to pick between Decker, Jackson and PJ. Tough choices.

I like to sit in a window seat, so I would need PJ, Herb, Decker or Goldy and believe that Fleck & Brooks wouldn't shut up. Goldy might over crowd my head space so Decker it is!

1. #7 Lindsey Whalen. Multiple time World champion professional. Put a Gopher team on her back to help lead to a final 4. Plus from TV she is funny and tells good jokes. I have moved seats at Gopher basketball games to not be sitting in same row as Joel Maturi. So Maturi is negative 10 because he brought us Brewster and fired Mason. Mason should have been allowed to coach at least 1 to 2 seasons in New stadium.He Maturi should not be in M club hall of fame.

Last edited:

Give me some Herb Brooks any day. What he meant in all of Minnesota sports history is incredible. Although Sandy Stephens or Bronko would be pretty cool too (among others not on the list).

Give me some Herb Brooks any day. What he meant in all of Minnesota sports history is incredible. Although Sandy Stephens or Bronko would be pretty cool too (among others not on the list).
Yep. From this list, it's Herb Brooks for me, and it's not close.

Anybody on the list would be a major upgrade compared to the random people I generally draw.
But forced to make a decision I'd probably go Herb first and then PJ or Whalen.
Wait, McHale telling basketball stories would probably be best...he and Kevin Harlan together were all time good! Final answer McHale.

Murray's effigy might be an interesting seat mate. Not a talker but certainly would get some looks.

Floyd would be fun too.

What? No volleyball players allowed on this flight?

Top Bottom