Gophers Defense

For what it's worth, DiNardo on the BTN claims our DL is the second best in the BT. He claims it is the largest and deepest (and claims to have looked at everyone's DL in person). He gave tOSU the edge in overall line quality because of their starters.

Yeah, I saw that too. I'd agree that our DTs are both good and deep. But to me, it seems like our DEs are deep, but not that good. In other words, we have a lot of good, dependable contributor-types, but no standouts. If I were forced to choose between a group of 5-6 average players, and 2 studs with 4 walk-ons, I'd take my chances and roll with the latter every time. It feels like we have the former, and it doesn't make me optimistic about calling anything "second-best".

The staff is struggling to find two quality starters at DE, are clearly worried about the pass rush, and yet we have the second best defensive line in the conference?

I think everyone needs to tamper down their enthusiasm about the defense. It wasn't very good last year, and we also lost our best defensive player, along with possibly our 2nd-best. By Minnesota standards, this should be a good D, but let's cease with the hyperbole. I'll just be happy if we manage to stay out of the bottom third in the conference.

I am with you dopodol83. Other than the freakesh loaded 1999 squad, I haven't seen a good Gopher defense since the Warmath era. Stoll came the closest but there was at least one or two BT team each season that he could not stop. Calling last years defense good is a hyperbole to the nth degree.

Pressue does not always have to come off the edge. Push up the middle will flush a QB and the edge player play contain. But then with cover corners, it frees up Lawrence on a blitz, a safety blitz. You might even see a three/four with Cooper, Lawerence, Triplett and Campbell behind say Edwards, Small, and Brown. Cosgrove will use this talent to the team's best advantage. I like the defense to erase a lot of bad memories. It starts in Syracuse, and will be the heart of defending the Bank.

I know this isn't pro but look at the Williams "brothers" on the Vikings. Husker is right just because you may not have pressure from the ends doesn't mean you can't have it up the middle, IMO.

I think everyone needs to tamper down their enthusiasm about the defense. It wasn't very good last year, and we also lost our best defensive player, along with possibly our 2nd-best. By Minnesota standards, this should be a good D, but let's cease with the hyperbole. I'll just be happy if we manage to stay out of the bottom third in the conference.

Everyone here is ridiculous. Quit covering your bases so you don't have to eat crow if we suck. Be a fan. We aren't the only team to lose a Willie VanDeSteeg.

That being said, we have the best D line in the nation, and I will stand by that and blame any losses on the offensive line:D

Everyone here is ridiculous. Quit covering your bases so you don't have to eat crow if we suck. Be a fan. We aren't the only team to lose a Willie VanDeSteeg.

That being said, we have the best D line in the nation, and I will stand by that and blame any losses on the offensive line:D

You're not a fan if you don't think we have the greatest team in recorded history? OK.

I've been following the Gophers for 11 years, and I have yet to see anything remotely resembling what I would call a "good" defense (and yes, that includes the '99 squad). Having one sub-200 lb. Wisconsin student in a room full of Madison coeds does not make her "attractive".

I couldn't care less about "eating crow". I will gladly "eat crow" if this defense ranks any higher than #8 in whatever "total defense" metric you want to use - points allowed, yards allowed, etc. And, of course, I mean in-conference games.

Feel free to copy this and remember it for use after the season. In fact, I encourage it.

Top Bottom