Gophers' decision to fire Tracy Claeys not popular in Minnesota high school football

If kids are turning down their best opportunity because the u of m fired a football coach in 2007 they have bigger problems then what football team they choose

I am sure we will get MN recruits..it just won't be the top level athletes that you need to build the program Coyle tried to sell in his pressed today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe the new coach can implement a program like the "BBQ with Brew" dinners that happened right after Brewster was hired. (didn't he have grill outs and open practices for high school coaches?) I seem to remember that the HS coaches loved it.

I worry a little about this. Mason had pretty much decimated the relationship between Minnesota high school coaches and the U and Brewster and Kill/Claeys made a great effort to rebuild it. I hope whomever gets the job can preserve the progress that's been made over the past decade.

I worry a little about this. Mason had pretty much decimated the relationship between Minnesota high school coaches and the U and Brewster and Kill/Claeys made a great effort to rebuild it. I hope whomever gets the job can preserve the progress that's been made over the past decade.

I went to Cretin during the Mason years. There were actually more Cretin kids who went to U of MN than people care to remember. I think if the new guy comes in, shows a genuine interest and works with the high school coaches, there will not be a divide. Part of Mason's problem is that he was pretty disinterested in MN kids (that was the perception at least).

Claeys and Kill did a nice job of building a good relationship with the coaches. That will take a hit, but in a lot of ways I agree with Some Guy, the HS coaches about getting their kids in the best possible situations. So I don't think this will have long term impact, unless the next guy we get ignores the local talent again.

I know Ron Stolski is a legendary high school football coach, but like most coaches, he will defend his brethren. As an example, here's what he said about Tim Brewster in 2007:

"One of the things that impresses me about him is his passion. It's all genuine. From a coach-to-coach perspective I'm impressed with how well organized, how energetic, how intense the practices are. When that whistle goes, these guys teach and I've always been one that appreciates teachers.

"They were the best practices I've ever witnessed. They had great tempo and it's all positive coaching. They were just great. He doesn't miss a beat."

Stolski added that Brewster not only reaches out to coaches.

"He's reaching out to what he calls 'Gopher Nation,' the Gophers' spirit and pride that lives in people who live in this state, and he's doing it, in my view, in all the right ways," Stolski said. "He's accessible, he has tremendous energy, he's approachable.

"Whenever he gets in a setting he will tell high school coaches that our office door will never be closed to you, it is always open to you. Our meetings are open to you, our practices are open to you. That kind of accessibility is unusual, not just for the 'U,' but anywhere."

If every defense of Tracy Claeys was immediately discounted because it came from someone who had previously defended Tim Brewster at some point, you could skip over about 90% of the posts on this board over the last week.

If every defense of Tracy Claeys was immediately discounted because it came from someone who had previously defended Tim Brewster at some point, you could skip over about 90% of the posts on this board over the last week.

Huh? I was extremely happy to see Brewster gone. Tim Brewster is one of the reasons why I defended Claeys so much, I remembered the "dark years".

I went to Cretin during the Mason years. There were actually more Cretin kids who went to U of MN than people care to remember. I think if the new guy comes in, shows a genuine interest and works with the high school coaches, there will not be a divide. Part of Mason's problem is that he was pretty disinterested in MN kids (that was the perception at least).

Claeys and Kill did a nice job of building a good relationship with the coaches. That will take a hit, but in a lot of ways I agree with Some Guy, the HS coaches about getting their kids in the best possible situations. So I don't think this will have long term impact, unless the next guy we get ignores the local talent again.

My brother taught at CDH for many years, so I followed them more closely than other high school teams. As a student there, you would know better, but Mason didn't ever seem to get the top-drawer kids out of CDH (and in fairness, neither did Brewster or Kill/Claeys). But you're right in that Mason didn't seem that interested in Minnesota talent.

Does MFCA send a letter to every Division II AD in the state to give thoughts on hiring and firing of their coaches. What was their stance during the MSU Mankato fiasco? More kids play at those schools than the U of M.

Does anyone know what percentage of the coaches are actually members of the association.

No doubt Kill and staff had a really good relationship with the group, but as long as Dan O'Brien is involved they don't have to worry.

You would know better than me because I follow CDH from a distance, but it seems like CDH sent a lot more players D1, both the U and other schools, ten to fifteen years ago.

People can rip on Brewster all they want and it is very much justified, but one thing he did succeed at was establishing and building a relationship with MN High School Football Coaches. In the last 5-10 years, very seldom have we lost a in-state kid we wanted to Iowa or Wisconsin.

My brother taught at CDH for many years, so I followed them more closely than other high school teams. As a student there, you would know better, but Mason didn't ever seem to get the top-drawer kids out of CDH (and in fairness, neither did Brewster or Kill/Claeys). But you're right in that Mason didn't seem that interested in Minnesota talent.

No, they didn't get the top of the line kids out of Cretin.

I think that has more to do with the kind of athletes that go to Cretin. I only added that part because I've heard some people say things like "Cretin kids don't go to the U" and a lot of Cretin kids do. The top ones, the U hasn't had a lot of success landing.

You would know better than me because I follow CDH from a distance, but it seems like CDH sent a lot more players D1, both the U and other schools, ten to fifteen years ago.

People can rip on Brewster all they want and it is very much justified, but one thing he did succeed at was establishing and building a relationship with MN High School Football Coaches. In the last 5-10 years, very seldom have we lost a in-state kid we wanted to Iowa or Wisconsin.

No, I think you're probably right. I don't follow HS football as closely as I used to, I moved out of the state for most of the year. But yeah, Cretin had a hot stretch for a few years, but it comes and it goes.

No, I think you're probably right. I don't follow HS football as closely as I used to, I moved out of the state for most of the year. But yeah, Cretin had a hot stretch for a few years, but it comes and it goes.

I remember those teams in the early 2000s that were stacked... Mauer, Powers-Neal, Freeman, Harris, Melander, Sarin, Archer, Stephenson, etc. Those are just the guys on top of my head.

Well you can continue on your agenda, which is fine, but bigger picture is the recruiting aspect of it. Coaches genuinely liked Claeys and his staff which translate directly to future recruits and how they view the football program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep. The pipeline out of Minnesota has now been opened wide. Watch every top recruit in the State go play for other institutions. The next coach has a huge reparation project ahead of her.

As someone who works with high school coaches on a daily basis I can tell you that in my experience the split it about the same as the general population. Pretty mixed.
Yeah, but your two coaches are in North Dakota...

I remember those teams in the early 2000s that were stacked... Mauer, Powers-Neal, Freeman, Harris, Melander, Sarin, Archer, Stephenson, etc. Those are just the guys on top of my head.

In the mid to late 2000s we missed on Henderson, Broderick Binns, Mark Alt, Michael Floyd....we landed Shady Solomon and the QB/Athlete fellow who ended up at St. Thomas to play bball. It's been rough in my opinion.

In the mid to late 2000s we missed on Henderson, Broderick Binns, Mark Alt, Michael Floyd....we landed Shady Solomon and the QB/Athlete fellow who ended up at St. Thomas to play bball. It's been rough in my opinion.

I'm not sure we missed on Mark Alt, he was just playing across the street at Mariucci. The QB/WR/Athlete was John Nance.

Huh? I was extremely happy to see Brewster gone. Tim Brewster is one of the reasons why I defended Claeys so much, I remembered the "dark years".

I specifically said, "at some point." Most people were happy Brewster was gone at the end. tjgopher was discrediting Stolski's opinion because he had praised Brewster in 2007

Believe it or not, Stolski does not speak for all coaches of Minnesota High School football

Of course not and if its a large organization who would?

Unless Stolski said "Gees, glad you got rid of that tub of goo Claeys. But please never get rid of Mark Coyle!

Yeah, you've got a great bit going. Only wonder how many monikers you post under? :eek:

If Coyle asks the MFCA for their input, he should be fired

Coyle should be fired period. Not because "he" fired Claeys, but because he has failed to do his job in major ways that have cost the University significantly.

Simple communication with the coach and players would have avoided all of this and he could have fired Claeys anyway. That and attacked the integrity of Claeys. He was already fired on flimsy circumstances. To stand up and try to justify his chicken**** move the way he did shows he's a coward that lacks class.

I wonder when someone will finally ask the question of why the players we're reinstated when Kaler and Coyle new of the EOAA investigation and the witch hunt that was on. Seems to me like a failure of leadership........

Coyle should be fired period. Not because "he" fired Claeys, but because he has failed to do his job in major ways that have cost the University significantly.

Simple communication with the coach and players would have avoided all of this and he could have fired Claeys anyway. That and attacked the integrity of Claeys. He was already fired on flimsy circumstances. To stand up and try to justify his chicken**** move the way he did shows he's a coward that lacks class.

I wonder when someone will finally ask the question of why the players we're reinstated when Kaler and Coyle new of the EOAA investigation and the witch hunt that was on. Seems to me like a failure of leadership........

I personally put most of the failings on Kaler more than Coyle

Top Bottom