Gophers' decision to fire Tracy Claeys not popular in Minnesota high school football

GopherLady

Reaction score
Claeys had support from many high school coaches.

A few days before Tracy Claeys was fired, Brainerd coach Ron Stolski, on behalf of the Minnesota Football Coaches Association (MFCA) Executive Committee, sent an e-mail to University of Minnesota athletic director Mark Coyle in support of Claeys.

“There’s not a more loyal, hardworking man than Tracy Claeys,” said Stolski, reflecting the opinion of the MFCA, of which he is executive director. “He’s full of integrity. We felt, unless there is more to the story than simply making uncomfortable comments, he should be retained.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...esota-high-school-football-circles/409607785/

Believe it or not, Stolski does not speak for all coaches of Minnesota High School football

I wonder if Coyle will bother communicating with this guy via any means more substantive than a form letter.

If Coyle asks the MFCA for their input, he should be fired

If Coyle asks the MFCA for their input, he should be fired

Well you can continue on your agenda, which is fine, but bigger picture is the recruiting aspect of it. Coaches genuinely liked Claeys and his staff which translate directly to future recruits and how they view the football program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Coyle thinks that recruiting is going to improve regardless of whether he craps on the MFCA and their recommendation than he's even dumber than he looks.

Ticking off any significant percentage of coaches is a very bad strategic move. Coyle's inevitable firing cannot come soon enough. Why would coaches willingly send young men to the University of Minnesota after this? They have no protections from potential false allegations. Zero. The process is stacked with victim advocates from top to bottom and any coach that dares stand up for his players is axed sending the team into chaos.

This fan base, school and team ought to wander another 40 years in the wilderness for what has just happened. Don't send your boys to the U.

I know Ron Stolski is a legendary high school football coach, but like most coaches, he will defend his brethren. As an example, here's what he said about Tim Brewster in 2007:

"One of the things that impresses me about him is his passion. It's all genuine. From a coach-to-coach perspective I'm impressed with how well organized, how energetic, how intense the practices are. When that whistle goes, these guys teach and I've always been one that appreciates teachers.

"They were the best practices I've ever witnessed. They had great tempo and it's all positive coaching. They were just great. He doesn't miss a beat."

Stolski added that Brewster not only reaches out to coaches.

"He's reaching out to what he calls 'Gopher Nation,' the Gophers' spirit and pride that lives in people who live in this state, and he's doing it, in my view, in all the right ways," Stolski said. "He's accessible, he has tremendous energy, he's approachable.

"Whenever he gets in a setting he will tell high school coaches that our office door will never be closed to you, it is always open to you. Our meetings are open to you, our practices are open to you. That kind of accessibility is unusual, not just for the 'U,' but anywhere."

Well you can continue on your agenda, which is fine, but bigger picture is the recruiting aspect of it. Coaches genuinely liked Claeys and his staff which translate directly to future recruits and how they view the football program.

Yup. And some dont

For real? Like..are you really this slow to get how it looks to high school coaches?

As someone who works with high school coaches on a daily basis I can tell you that in my experience the split it about the same as the general population. Pretty mixed.

Ticking off any significant percentage of coaches is a very bad strategic move. Coyle's inevitable firing cannot come soon enough. Why would coaches willingly send young men to the University of Minnesota after this? They have no protections from potential false allegations. Zero. The process is stacked with victim advocates from top to bottom and any coach that dares stand up for his players is axed sending the team into chaos.

This fan base, school and team ought to wander another 40 years in the wilderness for what has just happened. Don't send your boys to the U.
Well it's a good thing that he didn't tick off a significant portion of high school football coaches.

Playing for the U isn't popular among MN high schools either.

Playing for the U isn't popular among MN high schools either.

Minnesota high school football coaches are going to do what's best for their kids. Period.

If Minnesota hires a coach that recruits their kid and it is the best fit for the kid, they will encourage them to attend. Same as they always do. They're not going to steer their kid away from the best situation out of loyalty to a 16 month football coach.

Minnesota high school football coaches are going to do what's best for their kids. Period.

If Minnesota hires a coach that recruits their kid and it is the best fit for the kid, they will encourage them to attend. Same as they always do. They're not going to steer their kid away from the best situation out of loyalty to a 16 month football coach.

It's not about the coach. It's the adverse and persecutory climate and the chaotic leadership.

Well it's a good thing that he didn't tick off a significant portion of high school football coaches.

Well he did send it on behalf of the MFCA executive committee and members so.. here is a link with all those members http://www.mnfootballcoaches.com/page/show/2278338-2016-17-members

Let's say you are right, mixed, or 50/50, that is quite a few players these coaches have coming through that will be looking for advice. Here is the kicker you have not really thought about, surprisingly as you work with coaches as much as you do. The first schools that new coaches build relationships with are the Eden Prairies, Minnetonka's, Hopkins, etc..once you lose trust in those schools instate recruiting is game over.

It's not about the coach. It's the adverse and persecutory climate and the chaotic leadership.
You know more than me. It's a disaster. We will never get a Minnesota high school kid again. Burn it down.

Well he did send it on behalf of the MFCA executive committee and members so.. here is a link with all those members http://www.mnfootballcoaches.com/page/show/2278338-2016-17-members

Let's say you are right, mixed, or 50/50, that is quite a few players these coaches have coming through that will be looking for advice. Here is the kicker you have not really thought about, surprisingly as you work with coaches as much as you do. The first schools that new coaches build relationships with are the Eden Prairies, Minnetonka's, Hopkins, etc..once you lose trust in those schools instate recruiting is game over.

Yup. He definitely speaks for all the people on the list you just gave. Including me.

Yup. He definitely speaks for all the people on the list you just gave. Including me.

Great! We can take your name and scratch it off the list of coaches not put off by the U for the way it handles this.

Please reach out to Coyle and the new coach so they can get a recruiter over to your school and they can preach to you all the wonderful things that are going on there currently. But please disregard all the negative press that has been in the news of lately because it doesn't matter. Make sure you tell your players to disregard that as well and let them know we have had 5 coaches in 12 years but not to worry the U has it under control finally and figured out.

Great! We can take your name and scratch it off the list of coaches not put off by the U for the way it handles this.

Please reach out to Coyle and the new coach so they can get a recruiter over to your school and they can preach to you all the wonderful things that are going on there currently. But please disregard all the negative press that has been in the news of lately because it doesn't matter. Make sure you tell your players to disregard that as well and let them know we have had 5 coaches in 12 years but not to worry the U has it under control finally and figured out.

If kids are turning down their best opportunity because the u of m fired a football coach in 2007 they have bigger problems then what football team they choose

I have a feeling we won't be landing many Minnesota boys for several years. Knowing the U, they'll hire a guy that high school coaches can't stand and the wandering in the wilderness will begin. Coyle fires Claeys without a successor coach lined up. I think we all know where this is headed.

Top Bottom