Gophers-Colorado St scrimmage

Clearly Betts has been so dominant in practice that he not only stripped Battle of his confidence and forced him to transfer, he’s doing it again to the whole team.

sarcasm, folks, this isn’t a shot at Betts, it’s directed toward the poster (forgot his name) who offered up that preposterous explanation for Battle’s departure

I will always take these scrimmage results with a grain of salt as you don’t know how each coach handled it but that seems like quite a butt kicking.
+1

It's not the most reliable data point, but to the extent it is any kind of data point, it's not a positive one.

Hypothetically even if the Gophers only played some combination of their 8 least experienced and/or scholarship returning-from-injury players:

Betts
Christie
Fox
Ihnen
Keinys
Purcell
Ramberg
Reader

I would tend to find this score alarming.
At the very least, concerning. A box score would be good to see before completely freaking out, but I have to say I was dismayed and disheartened when I saw this score. Hoping the whole season from one end to the other isn't a death march.

Even with the pathetic non conference schedule it's hard to see better than 9-2 happening. And if this is any indication they may drop one of the cupcake games too.

The problem is we see these box scores and just assume that it’s played like a normal game. But that’s not what these scrimmages look like. For all we know, CSU could’ve started with the ball every possession because that’s what the teams agreed to work on. Or BJ played the deep bench so that they can get game reps. Or maybe it was a standard 40 minute game with every starter playing normal minutes. I don’t know. Nobody knows. That’s why it’s silly for these scores to even get leaked. The exhibition on the 2nd is the first datapoint.

I don’t think there is any debate on the non-con schedule. CBJ knows he is coaching for his spot next year and needs some gimmies to boost his win total this year. I don’t blame him, it makes total sense. I really don’t think it’s any more complicated than that.
I was thinking no power 6 wanted to play us. There is a negative impact on their tournament chances. 1). If we beat them, they drop. And if they win, they still might drop. That is unless we surprised everyone.

That was an assumption. Bad P6 teams from year before have difficulty getting anyone, whereas, say Duke, they have to beat suitors of with a stick.

Just speculation, maybe @SelectionSunday knows a bit more.

The problem is we see these box scores and just assume that it’s played like a normal game. But that’s not what these scrimmages look like. For all we know, CSU could’ve started with the ball every possession because that’s what the teams agreed to work on. Or BJ played the deep bench so that they can get game reps. Or maybe it was a standard 40 minute game with every starter playing normal minutes. I don’t know. Nobody knows. That’s why it’s silly for these scores to even get leaked. The exhibition on the 2nd is the first datapoint.
Of course you are correct in how they could have ran the scrimmage, but dang. Just guessing, looks like their point guard had his way from the posting of those numbers.

Even with the pathetic non conference schedule it's hard to see better than 9-2 happening. And if this is any indication they may drop one of the cupcake games too.
Did you mean 2-9?

Getting beat by 38 points by Colorado St seems like it should be impossible?
Like we got some faulty information. But, 6 Rams in double figures seems to suggest we offered little resistance. And one guy didn't go off and drain 9 3's or something crazy if their leading scorer had 15.

Kinda hard to get buy in or to spin any positives to the players. It was in Minneapolis as well, I do believe.

Anxious to see us play.
6 Rams in double figures- is there a box score out there somewhere? I have to assume we turned the ball over a ton in order for that score to happen.

Getting beat by 38 points by Colorado St seems like it should be impossible?
Like we got some faulty information. But, 6 Rams in double figures seems to suggest we offered little resistance. And one guy didn't go off and drain 9 3's or something crazy if their leading scorer had 15.

Kinda hard to get buy in or to spin any positives to the players. It was in Minneapolis as well, I do believe.

Anxious to see us play.
Did we won the tip off? There has to be something!

I don’t think there is any debate on the non-con schedule. CBJ knows he is coaching for his spot next year and needs some gimmies to boost his win total this year. I don’t blame him, it makes total sense. I really don’t think it’s any more complicated than that.
Really? It's a total p*ssy move. I don't think you understand - it is THE worst schedule of the 80 P6 teams. Let that sink in. The worst. Objectively, not hyperbole. And he's the one doing the scheduling, too, so it's 100% on him.

It reminds me of people who use the easy settings on games so they can win. What does it prove that you can do addition and subtraction when the rest of the world is doing calculus? Fake winning record on its way.

Really? It's a total p*ssy move. I don't think you understand - it is THE worst schedule of the 80 P6 teams. Let that sink in. The worst. Objectively, not hyperbole. And he's the one doing the scheduling, too, so it's 100% on him.

It reminds me of people who use the easy settings on games so they can win. What does it prove that you can do addition and subtraction when the rest of the world is doing calculus? Fake winning record on its way.

Well BJ is running the program like it's on easy mode, except the rest of the B1G is playing on expert.

Last year a box score leaked out after the secret scrimmage.

Is Thorson still a Guru? 🤔
It really begs the question doesn't it, they should be more athletic this year and capable of defending, is it coaching, not really that athletic, or lack of effort. They are not going to be a great scoring team, if they can't defend it is going to be a very long season.

Maybe its a good sign that this year was different! :) There is nothing about last year that I liked.

Lol that's one way to spin it. They didn't have Tonje beating up on us this year either, but we get to see him when Missouri comes to town.

Clearly Betts has been so dominant in practice that he not only stripped Battle of his confidence and forced him to transfer, he’s doing it again to the whole team.

sarcasm, folks, this isn’t a shot at Betts, it’s directed toward the poster (forgot his name) who offered up that preposterous explanation for Battle’s departure
He has many names. Most of them have "rock" in them.

Top Bottom