Gophers coaches recruiting MN

Tons of tweets for stopping by schools. Got me wondering how long they stop by for? 30 minutes and onto the next school?

From my experience, college coaches usually just “touch base” on this
kind of visit. . Get to know the coaches and then check to see if the coaches have anyone capable of playing B1G football. Also, they always ask, how about any opponents who have the same skills. Of course, the Gopher coaches ARE always pushing their summer camps where the real recruiting happens.

kind of visit. . Get to know the coaches and then check to see if the coaches have anyone capable of playing B1G football. Also, they always ask, how about any opponents who have the same skills. Of course, the Gopher coaches ARE always pushing their summer camps where the real recruiting happens.
True, but its a LOT OF WORK.

An average person could not cut it at the Power 5 coaching (any position of coach) level as far how many hours of work you put in a week.

On the most part Minnesota is a waste land for recruiting compared to the rest of the country. If you speak with recruiters from other parts of the country they hardly know where we are located. If you are a 6'6" lineman you will get noticed. Good luck at QB, this is a running state, no spring football. Look at Clark he moved to Texas threw for 10,000 yards in HS, now will have to compete at Missouri State with a QB from Mississippi State. Most states pull in their own, NDSU has more players from Minnesota then Minnesota does. This is the reason Division II and III is very strong in this part of the country.

On the most part Minnesota is a waste land for recruiting compared to the rest of the country. If you speak with recruiters from other parts of the country they hardly know where we are located. If you are a 6'6" lineman you will get noticed. Good luck at QB, this is a running state, no spring football. Look at Clark he moved to Texas threw for 10,000 yards in HS, now will have to compete at Missouri State with a QB from Mississippi State. Most states pull in their own, NDSU has more players from Minnesota then Minnesota does. This is the reason Division II and III is very strong in this part of the country.
Just did a quick count and Gophers have 30 Minnesotans, NDSU has 29.

I agree a lot of this is about building the network, but it's not only about the guys on a specific coach's team, but the assessment of players on other teams in the conference/region. Player X may play for Coach A and Coach A may be promoting the heck out of him, but you may want to check in with Coach B and Coach C in the same conference/region to see if there is more than home cookin' to Coach A's promotional campaign.

I played basketball (not very well) in a very small conference in the Dark Ages of the late-60s/early-70s, and each year our coach would receive a questionnaire from somewhere asking him to grade his own players and to list any other players in the conference he thought could play college basketball. I don't think I ever got above a D- and my career ended on the high school bench, but about a half-dozen guys from the eight teams in the league did go on to play college hoops, mostly at the MIAC or JUCO levels.

Last edited:

What is the name of that quarterback?

Fleck is very, very good at this kind of stuff.
There is an episode of Step by Step (if you know you know) where this friend/cousin of the main characters wants to set the record at Disney for riding all the rides in a shorter period of time than anyone has ever done it. Now, this episode is probably 25 years old so I can’t give a ton of details but I feel like Fleck would crush this record with his energy.

Fleck is very, very good at this kind of stuff.
This was one of the first things Brewster did with his staff and in outstate Minnesota it carries a lot of weight. Hearing from the big University of Minnesota is not something that happens every day. I've said on here many times, Brewster was a train wreck of a coach but re-establishing a relationship between the U and the High Schools is often times underappreciated.

Doesn't surprise me one bit that Fleck is not only doing something like this, but excelling, at this. I am assuming the vast majority of high schools will never have a Big 10 caliber football player but a simple visit builds fans, relationships, and excitement.

This was one of the first things Brewster did with his staff and in outstate Minnesota it carries a lot of weight. Hearing from the big University of Minnesota is not something that happens every day. I've said on here many times, Brewster was a train wreck of a coach but re-establishing a relationship between the U and the High Schools is often times underappreciated.

Doesn't surprise me one bit that Fleck is not only doing something like this, but excelling, at this. I am assuming the vast majority of high schools will never have a Big 10 caliber football player but a simple visit builds fans, relationships, and excitement.
Do believe that J Kill did the same thing. Surprised it took this long for PJ to promote that he's doing this.

Wenger had the Bemidji, Crookston, East Grand Forks assignment today. Must be in Fleck's doghouse! :ROFLMAO:

Top Bottom