Gophers Bowl Projection

My hope is the Heart of Dallas Bowl due to the venue.
Heart of Dallas = Cotton Bowl; a 82 year-old icon in College Football.
Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl = Insight Bowl in Sun Devil Stadium. Been there, done that x2.
Meineke Care Care Bowl = 10 year old bland/boring pro stadium in the least appealing City of the 3.

Sun Country has flights to Dallas & Phoenix, but not Houston.

I'm with you but for slightly different reasons. I have relatives in Dallas and Phoenix so traveling there becomes financially possible for me. If it turns out to be Houston, I will most likely be staying home.

For what it's worth, Reliant Stadium is pretty sweet. I was at the NU-A&M game last year. I'll have to agree with you guys on Houston in general, though. Pretty bland.

Hopefully our Gophers will not be playing on Jan 1 this coming Jan, as I will be watching the Cotton Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Rose Bowl, and in the evening the Orange Bowl with the great half-time show.:cheer:

I retract my original statement. Forgot the fact that bowls are contracted and usually determined by what place the teams finish in the "eligibility standings."

Houston it is.

/still hoping for bw3's bowl

CrocShots said:
I retract my original statement. Forgot the fact that bowls are contracted and usually determined by what place the teams finish in the "eligibility standings."

Houston it is.

/still hoping for bw3's bowl

The only way we don't go to the BWW bowl is if Purdue or Indiana win out, and they still play each other. Not gonna happen, we will be in Tempe. If MSU loses this weekend, they will be playing us for their bowl eligibility and if we win we go to Dallas.

The only way we don't go to the BWW bowl is if Purdue or Indiana win out, and they still play each other. Not gonna happen, we will be in Tempe. If MSU loses this weekend, they will be playing us for their bowl eligibility and if we win we go to Dallas.

Wait, what? I think the only way we go to the BWW bowl is if MSU is not bowl eligible. They will be chosen over us if they are bowl eligible, and if they're bowl eligible, that means there are at least six teams from the B1G going bowling (meaning you have down to the Car Care Bowl filled, if you figure the highest-paid bowls are filled first). Houston is by far the most likely option for the Gophers right now. If we win out, we have an outside chance at the Gator Bowl.

Gopher07 said:
Wait, what? I think the only way we go to the BWW bowl is if MSU is not bowl eligible. They will be chosen over us if they are bowl eligible, and if they're bowl eligible, that means there are at least six teams from the B1G going bowling (meaning you have down to the Car Care Bowl filled, if you figure the highest-paid bowls are filled first). Houston is by far the most likely option for the Gophers right now.

1. Rose 2. Outback 3. Capital One 4. Gator 5. Heart of Dallas 6. BWW, right? Is BWW before Dallas in the picking order?

1. Rose 2. Outback 3. Capital One 4. Gator 5. Heart of Dallas 6. BWW, right? Is BWW before Dallas in the picking order?

BWW has the fourth/fifth pick along with the Gator, Car Care has sixth, Heart of Dallas has seventh. I think this year the Gator selects before the BWW.

1. Rose
2. Capital One
3. Outback
4. Gator
5. Wild Wings
6. Meineke Texas
7. Dallas
8. Little Caesars

Jike Spingleton said:
1. Rose
2. Capital One
3. Outback
4. Gator
5. Wild Wings
6. Meineke Texas
7. Dallas
8. Little Caesars

Ah, I see what got me, Gophersports.com has the bowls listed chronologically. Dumb that Dallas is on Jan 1 but picks 7th.

The game in Dallas means little to nothing in the overall bowl picture. When the Cotton Bowl game moved from the stadium that bears its name to Cowboys Stadium, the owners of the stadium (the State Fair of Texas) created a new game that got a January 1 date primarily due to ESPN's wish to put a bowl game on ESPNU. The $1,200,000 payoff is pretty modest by bowl standards and local interest in the game is quite low. The Cotton Bowl holds 90,000 and the two versions of this bowl have sold about 40,000 to 45,000 tickets each with many of them going unused.

Sports_Realist said:
The game in Dallas means little to nothing in the overall bowl picture. When the Cotton Bowl game moved from the stadium that bears its name to Cowboys Stadium, the owners of the stadium (the State Fair of Texas) created a new game that got a January 1 date primarily due to ESPN's wish to put a bowl game on ESPNU. The $1,200,000 payoff is pretty modest by bowl standards and local interest in the game is quite low. The Cotton Bowl holds 90,000 and the two versions of this bowl have sold about 40,000 to 45,000 tickets each with many of them going unused.

Thanks for keeping it real. And raw. Often real raw.

Sports_Realist said:
Does this mean you disagree?

No, I'm just keepin' it real. I appreciate the realness of your reality.

In that case I'm curious and a bit confused as to why you appear to be ripping on me. If I've done you harm, then accept my apologies. I just want to talk about the Gophers and college football in general.

Yeah, if we go to Dallas it doesn't count as an end to our January bowl game drought. It's technically in January, but it's a December quality bowl.

My hope is the Heart of Dallas Bowl due to the venue.
Heart of Dallas = Cotton Bowl; a 82 year-old icon in College Football.
Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl = Insight Bowl in Sun Devil Stadium. Been there, done that x2.
Meineke Care Care Bowl = 10 year old bland/boring pro stadium in the least appealing City of the 3.

Sun Country has flights to Dallas & Phoenix, but not Houston.

Rochester now also has direct flights (Allegiant Air) to Phoenix / Scottsdale area for future reference.

Bowlpredictor.com is updated; somewhat surprisingly, they have our most likely bowl as Heart of Dallas (although generally it's a tossup between Dallas, Houston and Tempe):

Heart of Dallas: 34.6% (most likely opponent: UCF, 41.2%)
Buffalo Wild Wings: 33% (most likely opponent: Oklahoma State, 47.2%)
Meineke Car Care: 31% (most likely opponent: Iowa State, 53.7%)
Little Caesars: 1.4% (most likely opponent: Kent State, 47.2%)

http://bowlpredictor.com/

What ever bowl it is I'm sure it will be on one of those obscure networks that no one gets.

What ever bowl it is I'm sure it will be on one of those obscure networks that no one gets.

If the past is any indication...

Heart of Dallas will be on ESPNU
Buffalo Wild Wings will be on ESPN
Meineke Car Care will be on ESPN as well

If the past is any indication...

Heart of Dallas will be on ESPNU
Buffalo Wild Wings will be on ESPN
Meineke Car Care will be on ESPN as well

Looks like it's the Heart of Dallas Bowl.:)

My guess. I don't think anyone from the Leaders other than the Budgies are getting to 6 wins. Indiana loses twice and Purdue splits. Hogeyes are dead. If the Gophers manage to beat MSU and finish ahead in the standings and have a better record than the Spartans, we may still get screwed.

1. Rose - Nebraska (11-2)
2. Capital One - Michigan (8-4)
3. Outback - Northwestern (8-4)
4. Gator - Wisconsin (7-6...ish)
5. Wild Wings - Minnesota or MSU (7-5)
6. Meineke Texas - MSU or Minnesota (6-6)
7. Dallas - NONE
8. Little Caesars - NONE

My guess. I don't think anyone from the Leaders other than the Budgies are getting to 6 wins. Indiana loses twice and Purdue splits. Hogeyes are dead. If the Gophers manage to beat MSU and finish ahead in the standings and have a better record than the Spartans, we may still get screwed.

1. Rose - Nebraska (11-2)
2. Capital One - Michigan (8-4)
3. Outback - Northwestern (8-4)
4. Gator - Wisconsin (7-6...ish)
5. Wild Wings - Minnesota or MSU (7-5)
6. Meineke Texas - MSU or Minnesota (6-6)
7. Dallas - NONE
8. Little Caesars - NONE

This is exactly what I'm thinking too, although I would flip Wisconsin and Northwestern. If MSU is bowl eligible, they will be chosen over us if we're within one game of each other (regardless of if we beat them or not). Purdue is an interesting case - even if they're bowl eligible at 6-6, they may not be chosen over the Gophers, particularly if they choose to can Danny Hope after the regular season. The fan base will not be excited and they won't be an attractive option. I maintain the Car Care Bowl is the overwhelming favorite for our services but have been wrong once or twice before.

I think a match-up between Kill and Patterson would be great if we end up matched against TCU.

Assuming Michigan State and Purdue get bowl eligible, I'd guess:

1. Rose - Nebraska
2. Capital One - Michigan
3. Outback - Wisconsin
4. Gator - Michigan State/Northwestern winner
5. Wild Wings - Michigan State/Northwestern loser
6. Meineke Texas - Minnesota
7. Dallas - Purdue (if wins last 2)
8. Little Caesars - vacant

The most realistic scenario for us to end up in the Phoenix is for the B10 to only qualify 5 teams for bowls.

Top Bottom