Gophers: Big Ten Champs 2014 – Start Believing

Reaction score
As I stated in my post after watching TCU crush the Gophers (who had their worst offensive performance I have seen in many years even though TCU has a good D), TCU will be the best team we play all year. However, I might need to recant my statement. The Gophers could play a better team in the national playoffs.

This is the time you have to start believing. This is what makes football great. Heck, this is what makes life so great. Why not believe? Why be pessimistic? If you are a true fan, stand behind the beliefs of the players, coaches, and school. Their goal is to be Big Ten Champs. This is the year. Let’s start building the excitement!

*** My thoughts as the year advances ***

Northwestern – win by 18. On a side note: TCU beats Baylor and is now ranked #3 in the nation
Purdue, Illinois – wins, no doubt about it
Iowa – oh no . . . Iowa always gets so much better as the year progresses . . . well guess what? I would argue that the Gophers were the most improved team as the year progressed last year. We went on that win streak and then played WI and MSU tough. Therefore, we beat Iowa
OSU – JT Barrett will start getting nicked up as the wear and tear of being a freshman takes its toll. Gophers man up on the outside and lock down there WRs, stuff the run, and put pressure on Barrett all game. The Bank will be the most packed, loudest crowd of Maroon and Gold fans ever. Gophers win.
NE – just like OSU, Gophers will man up on the outside and stuff the run. NE got rolled by MSU last night. Don’t think otherwise. If you watched the game, NE has no offense if you stop the run. Gophers stay undefeated in the Big Ten
WI – Stave and McEvoy are terrible. Gordon is solid, but our run D is better. Gophers chop them down and bring home the Axe

Big Ten championship – I assume we will play MSU who we have played very well the past 5 years. Gophers win with the help of two pick 6s from Murray and Lynn

From here, Gophers will be put in the playoffs as we are a great story, our only loss came early to a TCU team that might also be in the playoff or playing in a big bowl, and there will be less than 4 undefeated teams at the end of the year.

START BELIEVING!!! SKI-U-MAH!!!

Can't wait to see some of the reactions on this thread. Should be a good one.

I'd be happy if we can get the pig and the axe to go with the jug.

I'm super pumped too, but there's still a good chance that we'll be favored to win only 2-3 of our remaining games. I'm just going to try and enjoy the moments along the way.

Never hurts to dream big. Otherwise, set the bar really low so you don't have to make an effort.

As I stated in my post after watching TCU crush the Gophers (who had their worst offensive performance I have seen in many years even though TCU has a good D)...

Clearly didn't watch the Wiscy and Spartan games less than a year ago.

185 total yards vs. Wisconsin - 0 offensive touchdowns
249 total yards vs. MSU - 0 offensive touchdowns
268 total yards vs. TCU - 1 offensive touchdown

As much as I want to be optimistic......

I've seen this movie before. It's the one where the guy wearing maroon and gold dies in the end.

(of heartbreak)

As my Pappy always said, "never get your hopes up and you'll never be disappointed."

Clearly trending upward. Our Gophers will score on Wisconsin this year and if we can slow down their rushing, we'll win.

Clearly trending upward. Our Gophers will score on Wisconsin this year and if we can slow down their rushing, we'll win.

I agree, just pointing out that TCU was not our worst offensive performance in "many years." It's not even top 5. I think we have a chance in every game the rest of the year except Ohio State.

With Nebraska being the smallest chance, but could still happen and Purdue/Illinois being the greatest.

I did watch all the games you mentioned. There is no arguing your stats. I was basing my opinion on how i viewed our offsense vs where we were at that point in the season (not looking at stats). We have basically returned all of our starters on offense from last year. Our O line and QB were terrible that game. To me, it looked like we didn't put up much of a fight and it was disappointing since are more seasoned this year and should be ready for battle. That's all.

WI = extreme cold, good for defenses, WI had a great D last year, we missed some wide open targets or didn't see them
MSU = we were able to move the ball, we couldn't convert in the red zone. MSU had one of the best Ds in the nation - especially in the red zone
TCU = we scored at the end of the game - big whoop (did you notice Maxx didn't even celebrate after the TD?)

I like your optimism but I need at least one more win from Gophers. Win by 21 this week-end and the dreaming can start.

I've seen this movie before. It's the one where the guy wearing maroon and gold dies in the end.

(of heartbreak)

As my Pappy always said, "never get your hopes up and you'll never be disappointed."

That's a pretty crappy way to live your life if you ask me.

Sure, why not? I like the enthusiasm. A little closer to reality in my mind though - we win 2 of the last 4, namely Iowa and Wisconsin. I would still be ecstatic to settle for this if we don't win the BIG.

The Gophers should totally try this trick play.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/asIN3t6ZfN8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(of heartbreak)

Not when you are referring to a sports team you follow.

You have to factor in our five turnovers against TCU as well. We probably didn't have five turnovers in total against MSU and Wisconsin last year.

Sometimes things just fall into place and you start winning. Sometimes you just cannot explain it. We could be the football version of the Kansas City Royals.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not unless you like being pleasantly surprised. Which I do...so life is good.
(mostly, just not in 2003, 2005, 2007-2012)<-gopher days

I believe! If not this year.....soon.

No. Optimism has been there for many of us over the years then realism sets in. It's the reward for being a loyal and devoted Gopher fan for the past 55 years!

Can't we just take it one game at a time?

Lots of optimistic thoughts on this thread. Just still trying to figure out who the Gophers have beaten that's worth a lick. I'll hop on board once they can beat someone worth boasting about. If beating Michigan was really a signature win as some have suggested...well, then it only took Rutgers 2 games to match that goal...

Let's at least beat a few worthy opponents first...although I do like the optimism. We've only played 1 B1G game so far.

Lots of optimistic thoughts on this thread. Just still trying to figure out who the Gophers have beaten that's worth a lick. I'll hop on board once they can beat someone worth boasting about. If beating Michigan was really a signature win as some have suggested...well, then it only took Rutgers 2 games to match that goal...

Let's at least beat a few worthy opponents first...although I do like the optimism. We've only played 1 B1G game so far.

Well, to be honest. The only team that we have to beat that is worth a lick to win the division is Nebraska. The rest are scrubs (NU, IL, PU) and scrub masters (WI, IA).

Well, to be honest. The only team that we have to beat that is worth a lick to win the division is Nebraska. The rest are scrubs (NU, IL, PU) and scrub masters (WI, IA).

Agreed. The Gophers should remain undefeated in the B1G through October. November is truly the test...

As I stated in my post after watching TCU crush the Gophers (who had their worst offensive performance I have seen in many years even though TCU has a good D), TCU will be the best team we play all year. However, I might need to recant my statement. The Gophers could play a better team in the national playoffs.

This is the time you have to start believing. This is what makes football great. Heck, this is what makes life so great. Why not believe? Why be pessimistic? If you are a true fan, stand behind the beliefs of the players, coaches, and school. Their goal is to be Big Ten Champs. This is the year. Let’s start building the excitement!

*** My thoughts as the year advances ***

Northwestern – win by 18. On a side note: TCU beats Baylor and is now ranked #3 in the nation
Purdue, Illinois – wins, no doubt about it
Iowa – oh no . . . Iowa always gets so much better as the year progresses . . . well guess what? I would argue that the Gophers were the most improved team as the year progressed last year. We went on that win streak and then played WI and MSU tough. Therefore, we beat Iowa
OSU – JT Barrett will start getting nicked up as the wear and tear of being a freshman takes its toll. Gophers man up on the outside and lock down there WRs, stuff the run, and put pressure on Barrett all game. The Bank will be the most packed, loudest crowd of Maroon and Gold fans ever. Gophers win.
NE – just like OSU, Gophers will man up on the outside and stuff the run. NE got rolled by MSU last night. Don’t think otherwise. If you watched the game, NE has no offense if you stop the run. Gophers stay undefeated in the Big Ten
WI – Stave and McEvoy are terrible. Gordon is solid, but our run D is better. Gophers chop them down and bring home the Axe

Big Ten championship – I assume we will play MSU who we have played very well the past 5 years. Gophers win with the help of two pick 6s from Murray and Lynn

From here, Gophers will be put in the playoffs as we are a great story, our only loss came early to a TCU team that might also be in the playoff or playing in a big bowl, and there will be less than 4 undefeated teams at the end of the year.

START BELIEVING!!! SKI-U-MAH!!!

I love this. Sometimes you need to dream. Why not us? To be honest, not the most realistic thing ever (TCU did blow a huge lead against Baylor), but this enthusiasm is what we need, even if it doesn't happen. There are Cinderella stories in sports all the time.

After watching Big Ten Football...and Beyond & BTN Live last night the dream of making the playoff is foolish. Even our own conference pundits aren't even considering the possibility, unlikely as it may be, that we have a chance. If we run the table, which would include, for instance, a win over MSU in the B1G title game, and sit at 12-1 we will not be invited to the playoff. I know 12-1 is farfetched, but someone needs to start making our case before it's too late. We could finish 6-5 and efforts would be wasted, but what a tragedy if we catch lightening in a bottle and get snubbed?

Top Bottom