Gophers best strategy for hiring

I'm more worried about the 2017 - 2020 recruiting classes if we settle with Claeys as coach.
Look at the other coaches in the Big Ten and compare to Claeys... good luck.

face the farts is worried about the 2017-2020 recruiting classes.....

The Gophers best strategy for hiring a new AD should be to find someone with ties to the best possible head football coach.
The athletic program goes as your football program does.

Interview AD candidates who have in's with proven coaches to try to make both hires at once.
These scenarios seldom line up where you can hire both at once, the Gophers should take advantage of that, rather than let it be a hinderance.

Whether that's hiring an AD with ties to an SEC coach, PAC12 coach, whatever it is... it should be a two in one search.

Yeah, we bought in and were wowed by Mega-Tongue's interview . So too with Brewster. They both know how to talk the talk. Beware of those bearing gifts. They may end up being slithery critters in the grass. All that talk about Villa 7 and Shaka Smart, where are they at now?

I'm more worried about the 2017 - 2020 recruiting classes if we settle with Claeys as coach.
Look at the other coaches in the Big Ten and compare to Claeys... good luck.

Ok, let's take a look:

1) Purdue - Darrell Hazzel Record of 5 - 26
2) Indiana - Kevin Wilson Record of 18 - 38
3) Maryland - Randy Edsall FIRED
4) Illinois - Tim Beckman FIRED

So yes, I'll "settle" with a proven assistant coach that is 4-3 as an interim head coach.

That comment about Bielema as head coach should get you banned for life.

I remember those meetings. Think outside the box, they said. There are no stupid ideas, they said. I heard a lot of really stupid ideas in those meetings.
The box exists for a reason.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

I like Claeys but let's face it, Claeys=Gutekunst; no thanks.

I hate, revile and retch at the mention of Bielema; but I would rather have him.

The key is to maintain the continuity of the program. Claeys is my choice. He leans toward defense prowess, but has the backing of the rest of the coaches. If he can keep the coaches together that would be all we need.

If the Gophers were going to go after any coach with WI ties, Dave Aranda would be my choice.

Claeys is a rock solid D co-ordinator, and I would like to see a new Head Coach keep that side of that staff intact. That would check the box for the defense.

Need an offensive box to check, go for Houston's coach Tom Hermann as a HC.
OC - Texas State - offense 5th in the nation for D2 offense
OC - Rice - Top 10 nationally in offense
OC - Iowa State (no top anything, but did improve their offense)
OC - Ohio State - offense 4th in the nation
HC - Houston - Ranked #18 in the nation overall.

This is what we need to do..

Tracy Claeys HC

Jay Sawvel DC/DBs

Jerry Kill- Special recruiter and fundraiser.

He can't recruit unless he counts against the number of coaches on the staff, which I don't think you'd want to do with a part-time guy.

Claeys is a rock solid D co-ordinator, and I would like to see a new Head Coach keep that side of that staff intact. That would check the box for the defense.

Need an offensive box to check, go for Houston's coach Tom Hermann as a HC.
OC - Texas State - offense 5th in the nation for D2 offense
OC - Rice - Top 10 nationally in offense
OC - Iowa State (no top anything, but did improve their offense)
OC - Ohio State - offense 4th in the nation
HC - Houston - Ranked #18 in the nation overall.

Tom Herman would be fantastic and a no-brainer, but he'll have much better offers than Minnesota in the coming offseason.

He can't recruit unless he counts against the number of coaches on the staff, which I don't think you'd want to do with a part-time guy.
I was about to point this out. He could be recruiting coordinator but that doesn't involve contact with recruits. It involves logistics around visits and when coaches are on the road.

He's struggling at Arkansas, but could turn it around here.
He'd love nothing more than to trounce Wisconsin year in and year out rubbing in Barry's face.

This should be ban-worthy. Sorry.

I hate, revile and retch at the mention of Bielema; but I would rather have him.

Based on what? You could have said the same thing about the guy in Utah. Or Mark Few and Tom Izzo in basketball. Sometimes promoting an assistant works great, sometimes it doesn't. The fact that we did it once 30 years ago and it didn't work out has no bearing now. Claeys has already shown he deserves this shot 2 years ago. If we go 0-5, he probably won't get it. But let it play out.

Maybe he'd be more like Gary Patterson at TCU who was elevated from DC after their HC left for Alabama. Keep in mind Gutekunst replaced a very unique personality in Lou Holtz. He was nothing like Holtz. Claeys doesn't have that hurdle to overcome. I'm not against going outside and hiring a coach, but I'd also be fine with Claeys.

Yeah Pat Fitzgerald didn't work out either. Question, was he named interim coach or straight to head coach?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Didn't Gutey have couple of winning seasons in conference. His last year was bad, but I would say Salem, Wacker and Brewster were much worse

Didn't Gutey have couple of winning seasons in conference. His last year was bad, but I would say Salem, Wacker and Brewster were much worse

86: 5-3 (Beat #2 Michigan)
87: 3-5
88: 0-6-2
89: 4-4
90: 5-3 (Beat Rose Bowl bound Iowa)
91: 1-7

I think the biggest thing is overall records. The Gutey era didn't have a Mason-type non-conference schedule.

86: 6-6 -- Oklahoma (Ended up #3 in AP, only loss at Miami)
87: 6-5 -- Cal & Central Michigan (closest to a Mason schedule)
88: 2-7 --Washington State (Dennis Erickson's last year before going to Miami, ended up #16 AP)
89: 6-5 -- Nebraska & Iowa State
90: 6-5 -- Nebraska, Utah & Iowa State
91: 2-9 -- Colorado & Pitt

I do think a legit argument can be made about inheriting Holtz's players, just as things were starting to get going for Lou. 87, 89 & 90 would have been bowl teams in today's college football world. With an easier type of schedule, I think you could add a win in 89 & 90. That would have been 4 bowls in 6 years. Not worthy of a parade, but definitely not as bad as people remember.

The students could start the ball rolling by chanting..."Tracy...Tracy...Tracy..." just like they did for Jerry.

That has a nice ring to it already.

Yeah I enjoyed watching Tyrone on the field but man he needs to work his way up before we pick him up for a job.

I believe Mike Sherels only experience was as a Grad Asst. Tyrone has worked with existing Gophers at his Academy and has a relationship with the existing staff. I would have no problem with this hire if the current staff wanted it.

Getting back to Gutey - you've got to remember that Holtz had some very good recruits commited to MN, and took most of them with him to Notre Dame, including (I believe) QB Tony Rice. If Holtz would have remained at MN, those '86 and '87 teams could have been really good. But, when Holtz bolted for ND, and cherry-picked the best of his recruits, it left Gutey trying to pick up the pieces - resulting in the big drop-off in year 3 under Gutey - due in large part to the loss of recruits 2 years earlier.

I believe Mike Sherels only experience was as a Grad Asst. Tyrone has worked with existing Gophers at his Academy and has a relationship with the existing staff. I would have no problem with this hire if the current staff wanted it.

Some experience > no experience.

Running camps isn't coaching.

Camps ... I duno man that's a long way from a full time coach.

I don't know what the requirements are but for a guy who did some camps maybe some minor assistant thing to start. Not a valuable coach spot.

Ok, let's take a look:

1) Purdue - Darrell Hazzel Record of 5 - 26
2) Indiana - Kevin Wilson Record of 18 - 38
3) Maryland - Randy Edsall FIRED
4) Illinois - Tim Beckman FIRED

So yes, I'll "settle" with a proven assistant coach that is 4-3 as an interim head coach.

That comment about Bielema as head coach should get you banned for life.
Bravo! And throw in Al Golden, who was hired about the same time. As with presidents, glib or slick does not mean best

Top Bottom