GOPHERS BENCH

I don't get why people are so hard on our bench players. Did you guys forget how valuable they have been in our wins earlier in the year?They are bench players for a reason. Loosen up and enjoy watching a top 10 team. I think Tubby knows what he is doing.

Um, 0 points, 0 assists and 7 TO's in the Illini game, and you don't think we should be hard on the bench? :confused:

Um, 0 points, 0 assists and 7 TO's in the Illini game, and you don't think we should be hard on the bench? :confused:

They also had 20+ points in the Northwestern game I believe, but we should just ignore that because it diminishes your argument.

They also had 20+ points in the Northwestern game I believe, but we should just ignore that because it diminishes your argument.

Pointing out how our bench players scored during garbage time of a blowout is a fantastic argument! Outside of that game, our bench has scored a total of 16 points in the 3 games against top 25 Big Ten teams we've played. And they had 14 turnovers in those 3 games. Not good when you have almost as many turnovers as points as a bench.

Tubby has stated many times that he likes how Mav pushes the ball. Sometimes he gets lucky and gets fouled as he's barrelling towards the basket at 100 miles per hour. But against better teams he is either turning it over, taking a horrible shot, or getting stuffed. Mav can still push the ball but he needs to see red lights when he crosses our 3 pt line and definitely should not go past the free throw line if we don't have numbers. He is not a great finisher. I agree Welch at the 1 and Mav at the 2 is a better situation. I also have been saying Otto just needs to forget about the 3 pt shot this year.

I actually thought Oto was going to be good shooting 3's.
I thought I saw an article where he said he was going to break the three point record for the Gophers.
I don't mind his game for a sub, but i expected him to be better shooting the ball.
Hoping he will progress.

Pointing out how our bench players scored during garbage time of a blowout is a fantastic argument! Outside of that game, our bench has scored a total of 16 points in the 3 games against top 25 Big Ten teams we've played. And they had 14 turnovers in those 3 games. Not good when you have almost as many turnovers as points as a bench.

Correctamundo

This point got me thinking, so I decided to do a number crunch. I looked at how the ranked teams in the conference benches did against all top 25 teams they have played to this point. I looked at their Points/Turnover ratio and what the teams win-loss record was during those games. The data came out as so:

Indiana: 3.0 Points/Turnover, Record:2-0
Michigan: 13.6 Points/Turnover, Record: 1-1
Minnesota: 2.6 Points/Turnover, Record: 3-2
Ohio St.: 4.6 Points/Turnover, Record: 1-3
Illinois: 5.7 Points/Turnover, Record: 2-2
Michigan St.: 1.86 Points/Turnover, Record: 1-2

Had our bench scored against Illinois our ratio would have been a little better. Our bench is averaging 15.5 ppg excluding that game, so if we add 15 points to our total our Points/Turnover ratio would have been 3.2. 0 points by our bench in that game was a complete anomaly and won't happen again.

This is what it looks like if we rank the teams by Win/Loss percentage against top 25 teams:
Indiana
Minnesota
Illinois/Michigan
Michigan St.
Ohio St.

Look at Michigan's crazy efficient 13.6 ration, but they are 1-1. Then there is our not so efficient 2.6 ratio, but we are 3-2.

Do with this data as you please. Obviously the data doesn't tell the whole story, because the starters for all these teams are really good and score a lot of points. We also have to realize that we need to look at more than just points to determine how good our bench is, we also need to look at defense and the intangibles that can't be measured.

For comparison, the starters for these teams over the same span was as follows:
Indiana- 9.4 Points/Turnover
Illinois- 8.07 Points/Turnover
Minnesota- 5.98 Points/Turnover
Michigan- 5.69 Points/Turnover
Michigan St.- 5.53 Points/Turnover
Ohios St.- 5.26 Points/Turnover

Top Bottom