Gophers at NIL disadvantage? Huskers, Iowa to benefit?

I wonder if we'll ever see situations where the player decides it's more lucrative to stay in college rather than take your chances in the draft. A guy who is a great college QB but without the arm to make a pro team or an undersized basketball player who can put the ball in the basket but can't guard anyone. A backer with big pockets might make it worth their while to continue their "education."

First, we need a uniform set of rules, I think? Only 10 states or something have laws in place to allow this.
I don’t believe Minnesota is one of them yet.

It might change the calculation for some recruits being the big fish in a small pond might be more lucrative than being buried on the depth chart at a helmet school. The prospect of early playing time will be more attractive also.
I think unfortunately this is wishful thinking, for legit 4 and 5 star kids in the TC metro that have offers to helmet schools. The allure and the dream of being a star at a helmet school and then going to the NFL ... well, why not give it a shot? That's what their friends and family will say.

"The Gophers will always be there if it doesn't work out and you want to transfer home".

Frankly, I don't even see that as a bad thing.

I think unfortunately this is wishful thinking, for legit 4 and 5 star kids in the TC metro that have offers to helmet schools. The allure and the dream of being a star at a helmet school and then going to the NFL ... well, why not give it a shot? That's what their friends and family will say.

"The Gophers will always be there if it doesn't work out and you want to transfer home".

Frankly, I don't even see that as a bad thing.
The once in a decade at best legit five star kid.

First, we need a uniform set of rules, I think? Only 10 states or something have laws in place to allow this.
Based on the NCAA's rule change, Universities in states that don't have an explicit law are able to come up with their own rules dictating it. There wasn't any law preventing it, just the NCAA.

But I agree, getting everyone in the same page rules wise would be beneficial.

Based on the NCAA's rule change, Universities in states that don't have an explicit law are able to come up with their own rules dictating it. There wasn't any law preventing it, just the NCAA.

But I agree, getting everyone in the same page rules wise would be beneficial.
swelna is correct, this was never a legal issue, it was an NCAA compliance issue. Nothing prevented a college athlete from endorsing the local Pump 'n Munch, he or she was simply risking continued NCAA eligibility by doing so. The NCAA desperately wanted, and still wants, Congress to enact federal law that will include guidelines for what will and not be permissible to "protect the integrity of college sports" and provide some recognition of the need for a level playing field to provide some type of competitive balance.

Why are we forgetting about Red Savoy Pizza as a potential sponsor? College kids, beer, and pizza go together - come on.

I wonder if we'll ever see situations where the player decides it's more lucrative to stay in college rather than take your chances in the draft. A guy who is a great college QB but without the arm to make a pro team or an undersized basketball player who can put the ball in the basket but can't guard anyone. A backer with big pockets might make it worth their while to continue their "education."
Oh yeah. There's definitely a chance that an Eric Crouch type player would be better off staying in college and reaping the headlines and endorsement money rather than turning pro and watch the headlines dry up.

It's hard to say; though like you point out the pie is larger here. I've got to think Gophers like Jordan Murphy and Antoine Winfield would have done okay. And if a native Minnesotan reaches a certain level, he or she will certainly be doing okay (whatever that means). Lindsay Whalen, by the time she was a senior, might have hauled in quite a bit.

We may be front-runners, but there is still a lot of Gopher love in this state. People will get excited about them if you give them something to be excited about.

I agree with this. Pro athletes are pulling in big endorsement deals for the most part. Outside of the high end college players....I'd think that the endorsements would be much smaller.....stuff that pro athletes wouldn't even give a second look to. Could definitely see some local companies shelling out.

I think what will end up happening (in regards to how this will affect recruiting) is something similar to a slush fund. A business will agree to "sponsor" XX amount of dollars to an incoming recruiting class as a whole. They won't necessarily put every recruit on to a promotion, but will agree to give the "opportunity" for further promotion and money in the future.

So the coach can go into a recruit's living room and say we have a guaranteed agreement worth XX amount of dollars in a pool to any recruit in this class. If you perform well, you will get a piece of that pie at some point in the future based on your play. Or it will be like what Miami did and say anyone on the roster that promotes the brand gets XX amount of dollars per month.

So if you can get enough boosters, donors, businesses etc, you can come to any recruit and say that if you come here, we have secured XX amount of dollars per month/year for you and your class.

I live in NE and they're pumped at how much this could positively affect recruiting in all sports because of how rabid and loyal the fan base is.

swelna is correct, this was never a legal issue, it was an NCAA compliance issue. Nothing prevented a college athlete from endorsing the local Pump 'n Munch, he or she was simply risking continued NCAA eligibility by doing so. The NCAA desperately wanted, and still wants, Congress to enact federal law that will include guidelines for what will and not be permissible to "protect the integrity of college sports" and provide some recognition of the need for a level playing field to provide some type of competitive balance.
There will be a federal law, eventually.

Making the NCAA out to be a whipping boy is one of the very few areas that enjoy broad bipartisan support -- though for different reasons.

I know the NCAA certain has no friends in North Carolina, the way they screwed over NC State baseball.

I think what will end up happening (in regards to how this will affect recruiting) is something similar to a slush fund. A business will agree to "sponsor" XX amount of dollars to an incoming recruiting class as a whole. They won't necessarily put every recruit on to a promotion, but will agree to give the "opportunity" for further promotion and money in the future.

So the coach can go into a recruit's living room and say we have a guaranteed agreement worth XX amount of dollars in a pool to any recruit in this class. If you perform well, you will get a piece of that pie at some point in the future based on your play. Or it will be like what Miami did and say anyone on the roster that promotes the brand gets XX amount of dollars per month.

So if you can get enough boosters, donors, businesses etc, you can come to any recruit and say that if you come here, we have secured XX amount of dollars per month/year for you and your class.

I live in NE and they're pumped at how much this could positively affect recruiting in all sports because of how rabid and loyal the fan base is.
It's an interesting idea, in bold. And a variation has already been announced by a Miami booster and business owner.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...-all-hurricanes-scholarship-football-players/

Miami booster offers $540,000 NIL endorsement deal to all Hurricanes scholarship football players

NOTE: that's $540k total. He's offering $6k per year in $500/mo payments to the 90 scholarship players expected on the roster this fall.

Another tiny theoretical side effect of TCF getting bought -- we (sort of) lost one of the biggest sponsors and advertisers through the U. Someone who had maroon and gold corporate colors (because the Gophers) and might have put some Gopher athletes on the payroll.

Ohio-based Huntington will have a marketing presence around the Twin Cities, I'm sure, but it's not the same as Twin Cities Federal picking local athletes from their own corporate backyard.

Gophers donation numbers are weak. Gophers NIL numbers will be weak. Just the way it is.

Another tiny theoretical side effect of TCF getting bought -- we (sort of) lost one of the biggest sponsors and advertisers through the U. Someone who had maroon and gold corporate colors (because the Gophers) and might have put some Gopher athletes on the payroll.

Ohio-based Huntington will have a marketing presence around the Twin Cities, I'm sure, but it's not the same as Twin Cities Federal picking local athletes from their own corporate backyard.
Probably true, but to take an optimistic view, Huntington Bank has a far larger need to get it's name out there and integrate itself into the local community than TCF Bank did. Everyone knew TCF, no one knows Huntington. Lots of ways for them to try to introduce themselves to the Minnesota market, but why not build on the established ties they are acquiring from TCF?

Probably true, but to take an optimistic view, Huntington Bank has a far larger need to get it's name out there and integrate itself into the local community than TCF Bank did. Everyone knew TCF, no one knows Huntington. Lots of ways for them to try to introduce themselves to the Minnesota market, but why not build on the established ties they are acquiring from TCF?
This is honestly an even better point.

Do a marketing blitz with some Gopher players, introducing people in the TC market to the new brand, and offering a limited time special incentive to switch over from Wells Fargo, USB, etc.

I mean I can see a top 50 recruit in the country making a decision for college solely on NIL because they are more well known etc. but the types of recruits the Big Ten West bring in (4* and 3* generally) PROBABLY should be thinking about the normal things like development, coaching, school, etc. I know not all will, but I just don't see the 900th ranked player in high school landing a $1.2 mil deal promoting a business playing here vs there.

In any case all of the college athletes should still have their eyes set on playing at the next level as that is where the bigger bucks will be. Most will make their decisions on what the best path will be to get there (like they currently do).

I think the best high school prospects are going to have plenty of deals if they want well before they sign with a school. The longer companies wait to make a deal, the more expensive the contracts become. Wouldn’t be surprised if the major brands start locking up the high end prospects in high school and maybe even influencing where they want them to go to school. Like say Nike inks a deal with a kid, obviously they wouldn’t want him going to a non Nike school.

Gophers donation numbers are weak. Gophers NIL numbers will be weak. Just the way it is.
UMINN donations are okay at about $380M per year. Sports donations lag

by comparison I think UCLA and USC bring in about twice what UMINN does

guessing most players will try to maximize NIL via social media, tweets and posts. The program that figures out how to organize a community or State to get players about 500,000 followers will be winners.

This is honestly an even better point.

Do a marketing blitz with some Gopher players, introducing people in the TC market to the new brand, and offering a limited time special incentive to switch over from Wells Fargo, USB, etc.

We all have some solid ideas on bank endorsements for individual players, but then I remembered my compliance department and how all that is probably turbo illegal, even under NIL

UMINN donations are okay at about $380M per year. Sports donations lag

by comparison I think UCLA and USC bring in about twice what UMINN does

guessing most players will try to maximize NIL via social media, tweets and posts. The program that figures out how to organize a community or State to get players about 500,000 followers will be winners.
Players will make more money at schools with big donors that will now have easier ways to get them cash.

North Dakota will benefit most for the midwest hockey schools. For football, the Gophers won't get closer to the top teams and the SEC and friends (OSU, Clemson, etc.) will just dominate even more.

saw this on Twitter:

Nebraska Cornhuskers quarterback Adrian Martinez has signed an endorsement deal with Degree Deodorant under the NCAA's new Name, Image and Likeness (NIL) guidelines, per CBS Sports' Dennis Dodd. Martinez is one of 14 NCAA athletes to strike a deal with the deodorant brand, and according to a report from USA TODAY, Wisconsin defensive end Matt Henningsen is the only other NCAA football player among that group.

The jokes and memes will write themselves

Lindsay Whalen, by the time she was a senior, might have hauled in quite a bit.
While this could be mostly awful for men's sports, I think it could actually be a positive in women's basketball. A player like Lindsey, Paige B etc. may actually make more $ from NIL in college than they will in the WNBA, even with the salary factored in. So star players may actually stay in school longer.

While this could be mostly awful for men's sports, I think it could actually be a positive in women's basketball. A player like Lindsey, Paige B etc. may actually make more $ from NIL in college than they will in the WNBA, even with the salary factored in. So star players may actually stay in school longer.
Pretty sure you're overestimating the money that will flow into women's college basketball.

Pretty sure you're overestimating the money that will flow into women's college basketball.
The top-end WNBA salary is what, $200K? You don't think a college player could make more than that on NIL?

Saw one article about a LSU gymnast that is the most popular collegiate athlete on instagram, I’m guessing she could make more than as a pro gymnast.

We all have some solid ideas on bank endorsements for individual players, but then I remembered my compliance department and how all that is probably turbo illegal, even under NIL
How so? Because it's a bank? I don't see why.

Top Bottom