Gophers at NIL disadvantage? Huskers, Iowa to benefit?

Saw one article about a LSU gymnast that is the most popular collegiate athlete on instagram, I’m guessing she could make more than as a pro gymnast.
Have never seen it, but taking a wild guess that most of her content on insta has nothing to do with gymnastics or LSU. Could easily be wrong, if so then so be it.

To think that the NCAA said she wasn't allowed to profit off her insta followers -- as literally any other LSU student, in any other setting or activity, could -- is exactly the type of silliness that this correctly does away with.

Have never seen it, but taking a wild guess that most of her content on insta has nothing to do with gymnastics or LSU. Could easily be wrong, if so then so be it.

To think that the NCAA said she wasn't allowed to profit off her insta followers -- as literally any other LSU student, in any other setting or activity, could -- is exactly the type of silliness that this correctly does away with.
Exactly. She'll be making money as a model. The reality is for women's sport the better looking women will make more. And for men's sports the best talent will see the most cash to go to a specific school.

How so? Because it's a bank? I don't see why.

There's a lot of rules financial institutions of various types have around paying people for certain activities. From the SEC, FINRA, Treasury Dept, and other orgs. Some of them can be very random and ridiculous, like the sort of rules the NCAA makes.

I did google celebrity bank endorsements and found more than originally sprung to mind. CapitalOne has been doing celebrity driven campaigns for years and I found a few other examples with athletes doing ads for local and regional banks. So it's probably ok but ya never know with financial regulations.

The top-end WNBA salary is what, $200K? You don't think a college player could make more than that on NIL?

The old line about taking a pay cut to leave college sports and turn pro will be true for more than a few women at the ultra-competitive schools like UConn, who might make more than in the WNBA. I think UConn is followed more and on major TV more than any WNBA team.

This will also likely be true for men who go to lower pro leagues after leaving a prestige college program -- say, Kentucky basketball to the G League, or Clemson football to the NFL practice squad.

There's a lot of rules financial institutions of various types have around paying people for certain activities. From the SEC, FINRA, Treasury Dept, and other orgs. Some of them can be very random and ridiculous, like the sort of rules the NCAA makes.

I did google celebrity bank endorsements and found more than originally sprung to mind. CapitalOne has been doing celebrity driven campaigns for years and I found a few other examples with athletes doing ads for local and regional banks. So it's probably ok but ya never know with financial regulations.
Fair enough, thanks

If only the Vikings were to move, the Gophers would be back at the top of the conference within a year.

on a lighter note, I wish Velie Oldsmobile was still around, so they could bring back those classic ads:

"I've got a velie good deal for you at Velie Oldsmobile!"

John Gilliam of the Vikes used to do ads for them in the Cities. I laughed every time I heard one.

Top Bottom