Gophers announce signings of Elliott Eliason and Austin Hollins

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Gophers Sign a Pair to National Letters of Intent

The Minnesota men’s basketball program today announced the signings of Elliott Eliason and Austin Hollins to National Letters of Intent. Both players will be eligible to compete during the 2010-11 season.

“We are really excited to now have Elliott and Austin as part of the Golden Gopher basketball program,” said Minnesota Head Coach Tubby Smith. “We have definite needs for Elliott and Austin in our system with the loss of Damian Johnson, Lawrence Westbrook and Devron Bostick. We know that we are getting a pair of players that not only have great basketball IQ’s but are also great students. We look forward to following and seeing their progression during their senior seasons.”

Eliason, a 6-11 senior center Chadron, Neb., averaged 14.8 points, 10.4 rebounds and 3.8 blocks (99 total blocks) as a junior in leading the Cardinals to a 26-1 record and the Nebraska C-1 state title game. He comes from an athletic family, as his father, Jay Eliason, and mother, Lorna Eliason, played football and basketball and volleyball, respectively, at South Dakota State University.

Ranked as the 27th-best center in the country by Scout, Eliason carries a 3.75 GPA and last year finished second in the Introduction to Business at the Nebraska Future Business Leaders of America state competition. The reigning Gatorade Player of the Year in the State of Nebraska, Eliason chose the Gophers over Stanford and Creighton.

“Elliott is a young man that has great length and size that will add some real depth to our front court. His skill level and passing ability set him apart at the center position,” said Smith. “I think that he will be able to develop and learn from Colton Iverson and Ralph Sampson. His future’s is very bright.”

Hollins, a 6-4, 180-pound shooting guard from Germantown, Tenn., is the son of Memphis Grizzlies head coach Lionel Hollins. The elder Hollins played collegiately at Arizona State and was a first round draft pick (sixth overall) by Portland in the 1975 NBA Draft. He would later help lead the ’77 Trail Blazers to the NBA Title.

Ranked as the 34th-best shooting guard in the country by Scout, Hollins averaged 16.0 points and 6.0 rebounds per game as a junior and led Germantown to a 20-12 record and to the Tennessee Region 8-AAA quarterfinals. This past summer he helped lead the Nashville Celtics to a 30-10 record and to the River City Showdown AAU Tournament championship. Hollins carries a 3.5 GPA and chose Minnesota over Arkansas, Memphis and Oregon State.

“Austin is a very intelligent and gifted player that has been around the game of basketball his entire life,” said Smith. “I think those experiences and the amount of exposure that he’s had to major athletics, especially basketball, have been very beneficial to him. We will benefit from his great outside shooting ability and ballhandling.”

The Gophers open the 2009-10 slate on Friday, Nov. 13 vs. Tennessee Tech at Williams Arena (7:00 p.m.). Minnesota’s home schedule contains 17 games, including a matchup with the Penn State Nittany Lions to open the Big Ten schedule on Dec. 29. Ohio State, Michigan State, Northwestern, Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, Purdue and Iowa will also make an appearance at Williams Arena.

Single-game and season tickets are still available for the 2009-10 season. Fans interested in purchasing tickets may call the ticket office at 612-624-8080, or toll free at 1-800-U-GOPHER. Tickets may also be purchased through Minnesota’s official athletics department website, www.gophersports.com.

Sorry these players signings is getting mired in the latest drama.

Congratulations to both of them. I'm excited to see them suit up and begin their college careers.

Kudos

Sorry these players signings is getting mired in the latest drama.

Congratulations to both of them. I'm excited to see them suit up and begin their college careers.

Kudos to Tubby and staff for signing this duo. I am thrilled to have Austin and Elliott on board.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I am excited about both of these guys. I have a good buddy who is a die-hard Memphis fan and lives in Germantown and he speaks very highly of Hollins both on and off the court. He said that Tiger fans were very disappointed they didn't land him.

Hopefully we still have some front court depth next year on the roster so that Eliason can RS if he and Tubby still want that, or at least we have the option.

Go Gophers!!

Off the court, this is what is refreshing to see: "Eliason carries a 3.75 GPA" & "Hollins carries a 3.5 GPA"

Looks as if Tubby has landed a couple of solid student/athletes. Good to hear.

I hope these guys can actually play. Its great that they're good students but I don't go into each season hoping for our team to make the honor roll, I hope for them to compete for the conference title.

I'm a big fan of coach's sons. They almost always have a leg up on their competition because of their high basketball IQ. It doesn't guarantee they'll be some sort of superstar because of course athleticism and skill is needed but I've rarely seen a coach's son be a hinderence on the court.

Duke has had a good run of these type of players. Bobby Hurley (Dad's a famous HS coach) Jeff Capel (Dad coached at ODU), Chris Collins (Doug), and Mike Dunlevey Jr (Mike Sr) all were assets on the court, despite that they weren't necessarily the best of athletes.

I remember attending a game in Durham in '01 against UVa and afterwords the Dunlevey's (Sr, Jr, and the mother) sat at the table next to us at dinner that night. Mike Jr spent the dinner talking about the game and his Dad gave him comments on his play and how UVa played him. Can only imagine that this type of conversation took place throughout his life before playing at Duke.

I'd assume Austin Hollins has had the luxury of picking his father's brain and getting advice from him that most others don't receive.

Also, they tend to be good character guys. They play the right way and are good ambassadors off the court for the program.

Ryan Saunders would be one but to be fair, he always knew his limitations and has known he wanted to be a coach since high school so once he got hurt, he didn't really care about getting back on the court.

I hope these guys can actually play. Its great that they're good students but I don't go into each season hoping for our team to make the honor roll, I hope for them to compete for the conference title.

No worries. Tubby wouldn't go after these kids if he knew that they would not fit into his system. When Tubby went to UK, he had a player name Bradly (Not sure about spelling). He had a high basketball IQ. He was a great player also. Eliason reminds me of him. Bradly did not like Tubby's system and left but I think Elliott will be a great asset to this program for the next 5 years.

Great news, congrats to Elliott and Austin on becoming Gophers. I,m going to miss DJ, Westbrook, and Bostick. I hope they have a great senior year.

I still feel these two are role players. Inking two 3-star guys doesn't exactly create that much excitement. This isn't Iowa!
Tubby had this problem at UK. He signed 3-star guys that are "smart" in hopes of "coaching them up." With that said, I think this class will be rounded out nicely if Corey Joseph signs.

Based on the players Tubby has brought in, I would venture to say these two will pan out just fine. If Hollins ends up being the outside threat we have heard he is, then he'll be a great fit for our team over the next four years. As for Elliason, he'll get the opportunity to play some minutes and also learn at the same time.

All and all, I'm pretty satisfied with this class.

Are you judging them by anything other than their stars?

I still feel these two are role players. Inking two 3-star guys doesn't exactly create that much excitement. This isn't Iowa!
Tubby had this problem at UK. He signed 3-star guys that are "smart" in hopes of "coaching them up." With that said, I think this class will be rounded out nicely if Corey Joseph signs.

No worries. Tubby wouldn't go after these kids if he knew that they would not fit into his system. When Tubby went to UK, he had a player name Bradly (Not sure about spelling). He had a high basketball IQ. He was a great player also. Eliason reminds me of him. Bradly did not like Tubby's system and left but I think Elliott will be a great asset to this program for the next 5 years.

Great story :confused::confused:

Gerald Fitch was one of them. He made the NBA.

Erik Daniels was another one. He made the NBA.

Tubby signed more 5 Star players (8 = Prince, Bogans, Stone, Parker, Carruth, Morris, Crawford, Rondo) at UK than his predecessor (Pitino signed 6 = Mashburn, Delk, Rhodes, McCarty, Walker, Mercer, and Turner). BOTH signed a mixture of 5 Star, 4 Star, 3 Star, and lower ranked players at UK.

Stop believing the baloney spun by UK fans.

Michael Bradley was 4 star recruit signed by Pitino, not Tubby. He was Mr Basketball in Massachusetts.

He left UK because his father insisted Tubby play him at forward, not center. He transferred to Villanova.

Where BTW he played CENTER also.

Michael Bradley was 4 star recruit signed by Pitino, not Tubby. He was Mr Basketball in Massachusetts.

He left UK because his father insisted Tubby play him at forward, not center. He transferred to Villanova.

Where BTW he played CENTER also.

Thanks FOT. I always thought that Michael Bradley and Marques Estill would have helped Tubby win another NC had they stayed at UK for 4 years.

Top Bottom