Gophers among favorites to land 4-star 2023 center Dennis Evans

Shama chimes in:

Worth Noting

If it comes down to NIL money, TCU may well be the college choice for highly sought-after Riverside, California basketball center Dennis Evans who is also considering the Gophers and is expected to announce his decision Monday. TCU NIL collectives started way ahead of Minnesota’s Dinkytown Athletes that launched in late September.

Go Gophers!!

We don’t know for sure, but it’s pretty safe to assume. Multiple folks have stated TCU would win this if NIL mattered most. The Texas schools have donors who’ve funded programs while we are just getting off the ground. We haven’t given any to incoming freshman yet, they earn them like the rule actually reads.
Ben got on this one early, built the relationship and didn’t get out worked. Kudos to him.
I don’t think it’s safe to assume. Those talking in the thread are assuming too.

NIL terms are private, but in terms of deal reporting, we have 3 times as many.

TCU is a rich kid’s school. However, we have 5 times as many enrolled every year. Moreover, our endowment is double TCUs.

The ON3 produces NIL valuations for players. our valuations are higher. These are data driven. While I can’t say I reviewed their data or methodology, I would suggest, this particular metric supports us having the larger NIL resources.

Texas famously supports football. They have 12 FBS schools. We have 2; 1 being new.

I don’t think anything I present should be the basis for a conclusion. However, I do think all that taken together should cast doubt on the assumption that we are somehow far behind TCU in NIL.

I don’t think it’s safe to assume. Those talking in the thread are assuming too.

TCU is a rich kid’s school. However, we have 5 times as many enrolled every year. Moreover, our endowment is double TCUs.

The ON3 produces NIL valuations for players. our valuations are higher. These are data driven. While I can’t say I reviewed their data or methodology, I would suggest, this particular metric supports us having the larger NIL resources.

Texas famously supports football. They have 12 FBS schools. We have 2; 1 being new.

I don’t think anything I present should be the basis for a conclusion. However, I do think all that taken together should cast doubt on the assumption that we are somehow far behind TCU in NIL.
I can answer that for you. We are way behind in the collective space compared to TCU.

People I know and people like Ryan James and Doogie have said that TCU is offering more money out there hate. They have a team stipend already, we are just working our way there. Feel free to disagree but I was being nice by saying it was safe to assume. It’s pretty much a guarantee. Now if Evans comes here and blows up and then sure there are some earning opportunities here. I’m well aware of Texas’s football first, but basketball has been growing there for many years and is plenty well supported as well.

People I know and people like Ryan James and Doogie have said that TCU is offering more money out there hate. They have a team stipend already, we are just working our way there. Feel free to disagree but I was being nice by saying it was safe to assume. It’s pretty much a guarantee. Now if Evans comes here and blows up and then sure there are some earning opportunities here. I’m well aware of Texas’s football first, but basketball has been growing there for many years and is plenty well supported as well.
TCU had their highest attendance ever for a game against Texas last year. 8,400....

Is the TCU PIL information public? It sounds like the NCAA opened the door a crack to take a peek at who was on the front stoop and the ghouls and goblins shoved it open and are running amok all over the house.

CA was the first state to approve a bill for NIL and High School students. Evans signed on with Slash SE. Looks like he's already made some NIL arrangements and I suspect the Slash SE agreement has some level of exclusivity.

Evans might be in an entirely different class than most athletes at the U. Some in basketball are already wondering who might guard Victor Wembanyama (in the near future) and a few names get floated, including Evans. It may be that some brands are hedging their bets in favor of Evans and trying to get in early. Maybe, he already has NIL taken care of

some of the brand partnerships Slash SE reference: nike, adidas, espn, new balance, foot locker, facebook

TCU had their highest attendance ever for a game against Texas last year. 8,400....
Correct so it’s growing. By supported I’m talking financially, but the fact they had their highest attendance ever also proves the point. I’m fine with you disagreeing, but it’s just a fact with Texas institutions that they’ll pay guys. The reason they could get the NIL rolling quickly is because they had a system in place already lol

Correct so it’s growing. By supported I’m talking financially, but the fact they had their highest attendance ever also proves the point. I’m fine with you disagreeing, but it’s just a fact with Texas institutions that they’ll pay guys. The reason they could get the NIL rolling quickly is because they had a system in place already lol
I know. But "our smallest crowds are larger than their biggest crowds" still says something.

Big day tomorrow!!! Feeling good about this one.

What's his IG account??
I hope your optimism is well-founded. But unless Evans' new marketing firm has told him that he can make some good money at Minnesota...this seems like the quintessential scenario of losing a recruit to a higher bidder.

Last edited:

I think you could be right about them being financially supported, but not via attendance.

There avg for other games is then approx 5700. Thus, a lurking variable. Record being UT suggests it was their fans not TCU that made that difference.

I think your spot on with the “already had a system in place.” It’s a huge business opportunity to the first who recognize it and set up the infrastructure. Gives the proprietors of a NIL collective a fairly healthy paycheck.

Top Bottom