Gophers-Akron Game Thread

I think Nadine just got some air time.

Another "blah" game but at least we won. Where are the 30-point blowouts of inferior opponents? :(

I think these underdog NC teams that come into Williams really come in with a nothing to lose, chip on their shoulder attitude. We seem to get generally out-hustled in the first halves, and if the shots are falling, end up with an even game at halftime. When you're a ranked team you have a huge bullseye on your back.

Someone commented on the Gophers playing to their level, I think that is part of it as well. It's easier to rise up to a challenge than to try to crush an overmatched team. Too often you just don't play with the same focus and intensity when you're expected to win big.

Another "blah" game but at least we won. Where are the 30-point blowouts of inferior opponents? :(

This team doesn't have what it takes to do that. In fact, they're not even close.

I think these underdog NC teams that come into Williams really come in with a nothing to lose, chip on their shoulder attitude. We seem to get generally out-hustled in the first halves, and if the shots are falling, end up with an even game at halftime. When you're a ranked team you have a huge bullseye on your back.

Someone commented on the Gophers playing to their level, I think that is part of it as well. It's easier to rise up to a challenge than to try to crush an overmatched team. Too often you just don't play with the same focus and intensity when you're expected to win big.

That's odd because every other B10 team, including Iowa, doesn't have a problem stepping on the throat of an opponent. Struggling to beat teams like Cornell, Akron, Wofford, and Siena is not encouraging. They even struggled with Eastern Kentucky who was (or is) one of the worst teams in the country RPI-wise. I guess the silver lining is that come B10 play this squad will be better prepared to handle a close game down the stretch instead of just taking care of business early on like a raked team is supposed to do....

BTW, don't give me some spiel about how Wofford, Sienna, Cornell, and Akron are "quality" NC opponents. Puh-lease. Maybe last year for a few of them but not this year. These teams are getting drubbed by other good teams....

Art..your comments are ALWAYS negative so even when you attempt to contribute it comes across as diatribed dog*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#...please go back to the Iowa board as you have clearly shown you're NOT a Gopher supporter.

There is about 2 minutes left and unless I have missed something, I don't think there has been a sub by the gophers for about 10 minutes. This seems to be a 180 degree swing from Tubby's normal substitution strategy.

I very well could have missed something.

I think the substitution patterns are getting set for the start of the big ten. I thought they played well in the second half. They basically played the top 7 or 8 in the second half though, I think it makes a difference.

I think Tubby nailed it in his postgame interview with his comments about the Gophers missing easy shots inside and specifically mentioned guys trying to tap in rebounds as opposed to going up strong with 2 hands. I am pretty disappointed with both Ralph and Colton in that neither guy seems to have developed the strength and/or the toughness/desire to keep the ball above the numbers and go up STRONG when they are near the basket. Both guys are bringing the ball down to low, often fading away, and unsuccessfully trying to finesse the ball in the basket.

GL- do you always get seats behind Tubby? They showed you on the Blake to Rodney alley-oop.

EG9, I agree with tubbys sentiments but he avoided many different MAJOR issues. Like mid range game, horrible defense and only one competent 3 shooter. ONE competent three shooter! we are not going to be able to dunk our way to wins agains big ten competition. I want to think and say these issues will be cleared up by the time the big ten season comes around but i highly doubt it. i think this is the team we will be getting for the rest of the year and that is unsettling.

1? Hollins is shooting 44% from 3 and Devoe is around 38% for his career. That's not bad.

EG9, I agree with tubbys sentiments but he avoided many different MAJOR issues. Like mid range game, horrible defense and only one competent 3 shooter. ONE competent three shooter! we are not going to be able to dunk our way to wins agains big ten competition. I want to think and say these issues will be cleared up by the time the big ten season comes around but i highly doubt it. i think this is the team we will be getting for the rest of the year and that is unsettling.

Top Bottom