Gophers' AD Mark Coyle says he deals with name, image and likeness 'every hour'

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per RandBall:

"It's every hour. It is a conversation that I have almost every hour with every coach," Coyle said. "I am so grateful that the coaches we have in place now have been awesome. The NIL, there's so much uncertainty around it."

"People are going 75 right now and the speed limit is 55. We want to make sure we stay within the guardrails and that we do things the right way so that when we get more guidance nationally with what NIL is going to look like, we're in a good position," Coyle said. "We have 22 sports and we have student-athletes in every sport who have agreements right now."

Navigating that shifting landscape sounds like one of Coyle's top priorities over the next five years. Doing so as we cautiously emerge from the two-plus-year shadow cast by COVID is a challenge for anyone in Coyle's position and perhaps a familiar one to anyone trying to keep up with the pace of change during uncertain times.

"If you look at the record number of ADs who are stepping down in athletics and everywhere, it's bonkers everything we've gone through in the last 27 months," Coyle said. "I've heard people use the word we're all 'tired,' but we're also all depleted. And what can we do to recharge ourselves and get ourselves more energized. Because we have a great opportunity."

Go Gophers!!

BarnBurner

Reaction score
per RandBall:

"It's every hour. It is a conversation that I have almost every hour with every coach," Coyle said. "I am so grateful that the coaches we have in place now have been awesome. The NIL, there's so much uncertainty around it."

"People are going 75 right now and the speed limit is 55. We want to make sure we stay within the guardrails and that we do things the right way so that when we get more guidance nationally with what NIL is going to look like, we're in a good position," Coyle said. "We have 22 sports and we have student-athletes in every sport who have agreements right now."

Navigating that shifting landscape sounds like one of Coyle's top priorities over the next five years. Doing so as we cautiously emerge from the two-plus-year shadow cast by COVID is a challenge for anyone in Coyle's position and perhaps a familiar one to anyone trying to keep up with the pace of change during uncertain times.

"If you look at the record number of ADs who are stepping down in athletics and everywhere, it's bonkers everything we've gone through in the last 27 months," Coyle said. "I've heard people use the word we're all 'tired,' but we're also all depleted. And what can we do to recharge ourselves and get ourselves more energized. Because we have a great opportunity."

Go Gophers!!
Yup, Duke see the uncertainty and is sooooooo darn concerned!

This is a perfect example of why MN hasn't won big.

Gophers_4life

Reaction score
As I posted in the other thread:

hmmm- I thought that the schools could not be directly involved with helping the players with NIL. I guess they can...or at least this is a legal work around?

Coyle's move?
I had thought so too!

But on a quick Google search, I can't really find something specific to that effect. The wording here is very vague on what specifically a school can and cannot do:

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2021/6/30/ncaa-adopts-interim-name-image-and-likeness-policy.aspx

"This is an important day for college athletes since they all are now able to take advantage of name, image and likeness opportunities," NCAA President Mark Emmert said. "With the variety of state laws adopted across the country, we will continue to work with Congress to develop a solution that will provide clarity on a national level. The current environment — both legal and legislative — prevents us from providing a more permanent solution and the level of detail student-athletes deserve."

The policy provides the following guidance to college athletes, recruits, their families and member schools:
  • Individuals can engage in NIL activities that are consistent with the law of the state where the school is located. Colleges and universities may be a resource for state law questions.
  • College athletes who attend a school in a state without an NIL law can engage in this type of activity without violating NCAA rules related to name, image and likeness.
  • Individuals can use a professional services provider for NIL activities.
  • Student-athletes should report NIL activities consistent with state law or school and conference requirements to their school.
"Today, NCAA members voted to allow college athletes to benefit from name, image and likeness opportunities, no matter where their school is located," said Division I Board of Directors chair Denise Trauth, president at Texas State. "With this interim solution in place, we will continue to work with Congress to adopt federal legislation to support student-athletes."

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
as I understand it, a school cannot directly set up an NIL deal for an athlete.

So, the U of MN cannot arrange a deal for Tanner Morgan with 3-M.

But, the U of MN can advise student-athletes on the rules and regulations for NIL, and review NIL agreements to make sure they meet all the requirements.

then, when Tanner Morgan makes a deal with 3-M, the U of MN can tell him if it's OK.

but, the School cannot be the deal-maker.

and an NIL deal cannot be offered as a recruiting incentive. (yeah, I know...........)

bga1

Reaction score
as I understand it, a school cannot directly set up an NIL deal for an athlete.

So, the U of MN cannot arrange a deal for Tanner Morgan with 3-M.

But, the U of MN can advise student-athletes on the rules and regulations for NIL, and review NIL agreements to make sure they meet all the requirements.

then, when Tanner Morgan makes a deal with 3-M, the U of MN can tell him if it's OK.

but, the School cannot be the deal-maker.

and an NIL deal cannot be offered as a recruiting incentive. (yeah, I know...........)
It is so obvious that anyone that plays by the rules is going to get burned here because the rules are so vague and so easy to interpret any way one wants to. If a guy is an incoming recruit with an NIL promise from a company- that company has WITHOUT QUESTION consulted with the coach who is recruiting that kid (how else could they decided he is worth the NIL?). The whole thing is a joke and it sure appears that the schools that blow right past the rule book are going to be the early winners.

What happens when a kid gets a big NIL deal and a company goes all in with him...then the coach decides not to play the kid because he won't play defense?

EG#9

Reaction score
"People are going 75 right now and the speed limit is 55"

This EXACT same analogy was given by Coach Thorson to a group of Gopher season ticket holders/boosters earlier this week.

Coyle's comments here are so incredibly disappointing. Instead of being an innovator, he's "waiting for guidance". If he believes schools are going to be retroactively punished for what are determined to be NIL violations in the future...he's incredibly naive. BTW are the most recent National Champions still waiting for their punishment? Sean Miller sure got a new job fast...Either Coyle is not very bright or he's unable/unwilling to do the work in providing a competitive NIL program. At the very least, model EXACTLY what a DUKE/UNC is doing (at scale of course, they're getting the top 20 recruits/transfers in the country) and insulate yourself from the dreaded "sanctions" that way.

BarnBurner

Reaction score
Coyle is making excuses for his inaction on this issue.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
I see at least one issue with the idea that "if everyone else is cheating, then we need to cheat, too."

call my cynical, but if a MN-level program gets caught cheating, they're going to have the book thrown at them.

it's like the classic line from Jerry Tarkanian: "The NCAA was so mad at Kentucky that they gave Cleveland State two more years of probation."

the schools that cheat all of the time are good at it. If MN tried to cheat, we'd probably screw it up.

howeda7

Reaction score
"People are going 75 right now and the speed limit is 55"

This EXACT same analogy was given by Coach Thorson to a group of Gopher season ticket holders/boosters earlier this week.

Coyle's comments here are so incredibly disappointing. Instead of being an innovator, he's "waiting for guidance". If he believes schools are going to be retroactively punished for what are determined to be NIL violations in the future...he's incredibly naive. BTW are the most recent National Champions still waiting for their punishment? Sean Miller sure got a new job fast...Either Coyle is not very bright or he's unable/unwilling to do the work in providing a competitive NIL program. At the very least, model EXACTLY what a DUKE/UNC is doing (at scale of course, they're getting the top 20 recruits/transfers in the country) and insulate yourself from the dreaded "sanctions" that way.
Is it fair to take his comments as he's doing nothing? He did say they have athletes in every sport that have NIL's didn't he?

Top Bottom