Gophers’ Graduation Success Rate Hits Record High 83 Percent

GopherLady

Reaction score
Per U of MN press release:

University of Minnesota student-athletes reached another academic high-water mark today, posting a Graduation Success Rate (GSR) of 83 percent, according to the NCAA's 2012 GSR report.

The GSR report represents data from first-time freshmen, student-athletes who entered at midyear and student-athletes who transferred into the University of Minnesota between 2002 and 2005, but excludes student-athletes who transfer from the university in good academic standing.

The score of 83 percent represents a three-point improvement over Minnesota’s GSR announced last year by the NCAA and a staggering 16-point jump since the NCAA began releasing Graduation Success Rate figures in 2005.

“We are extremely pleased with the latest Graduation Success Rate report and the improvements our student-athletes continue to make in this area,” director of athletics Norwood Teague said. “Academic success and degree completion are important components of our vision for Gopher Athletics and I am proud of the achievements of our student-athletes. I am pleased to report that the academic performance of our current student-athletes is also very positive. The cumulative GPA at the end of last spring was 3.18 for all student-athletes, with 22 of 25 teams reporting cumulative team GPAs over 3.0. Strong performances in the classroom will continue to be our goal.”

The NCAA also released Federal Graduation Rates in the report, which counts all student-athletes who transfer from or leave an institution for any reason as non-graduates from their initial school, even if they leave in good academic standing and subsequently graduate from another institution. There was good news in these numbers as well for Minnesota student-athletes, whose score of 74 percent was an eight-point jump over last year’s score of 66 percent. The report also stated that the Federal Graduation Rate for student-athletes at Minnesota is a full four points higher than the rate for all University of Minnesota students of 70 percent.

Graduation Success Rates for Minnesota's women's programs continue to excel, with all 11 programs posting GSR figures of 83 percent or higher. Eight programs scored better than 90 percent, with golf, gymnastics, tennis and volleyball all posting perfect scores of 100 percent. Three women’s programs also posted significant gains, with basketball (+13), gymnastics (+10) and swimming (+10) making the largest jumps.

On the men's side, gymnastics (100), tennis (100), swimming (86) and track & field/cross country (82) were again among the highest performing teams. Several other programs showed strong improvement. Football made a 10-point jump to 69 percent and basketball improved nine points to 54 percent, marking the highest GSR scores ever for those two sports at Minnesota.

The Graduation Success Rate was created by the NCAA in 2005 to more accurately reflect actual graduation rates by including transfer data in the calculation.

For more information on Graduation Success Rates, including today's report, please visit www.ncaa.org.

Notes:

Minnesota’s overall athletic department GSR of 83 percent is an all-time high.
Minnesota’s overall Federal Graduation Rate of 74 percent is an all-time high and is four points higher than the fed rate for all U of M students of 70 percent.
Minnesota’s overall GSR has improved from 67 percent in 2005 to 83 percent today (+16).
Seven teams had 100 percent federal graduation rates – women’s basketball, rowing, softball, women’s tennis, volleyball, men's gymnastics and wrestling.
Student-athletes that exhausted four years of eligibility at the University of Minnesota graduated at 100 percent.
Graduation Success Rates for Minnesota football student-athletes have moved up steadily since the NCAA began reporting graduation figures in 2005, jumping from 41 percent to 69 percent today (+28).
Minnesota men’s basketball GSR figures continue on a positive trajectory and have improved significantly in the past eight years, moving from 33 percent to 54 percent (+21) today.
Men's hockey has added 20 points to its GSR score in the last six years.

It's good to see improvement, I am proud, but does anybody know how these stats stack up with the rest of the B1G?

Sent from my PLAYSTATION PHONE using tapatalk

It's good to see improvement, I am proud, but does anybody know how these stats stack up with the rest of the B1G?

Sent from my PLAYSTATION PHONE using tapatalk

Per Marcus: "The #Gophers football program’s GSR improved from 59 to 69 percent but is still tied with Michigan for seventh in the #B1G."

Go Gophers!!

Per Marcus: "The #Gophers football program’s GSR improved from 59 to 69 percent but is still tied with Michigan for seventh in the #B1G."

Go Gophers!!
I'll take tied with Michigan for seventh as good work given where we have come from. We should aim higher, but not being number 11 in something about football feels pretty good.

Top Bottom