GopherLady's STrib blog: Gopher Football – A New Low For Fans

GL

Great post as always.

You made mention of JM in your post. You let it be known he is not on the top of your list and didn't lower yourself to the mud slinging that some do.

Having said that, I would be curious as to your thoughts on Prez B and also the addition of Dave Mona.

Thanks again, and don't be leaving the country.

Joel is awesome. He takes time to answer every email he gets. Who cares about the football program. Joel is a nice guy. Thanks Joel.

He quit answering my emails after I asked him to resign. :D

Maturi at the GLC Lunch

GL, I was told that he said a "Minnesota Fit" is the most important thing in hiring a new coach (whatever THAT means)...he must understand Minnesota. It might be a coordinator, or and assistant coach, but he MUST be a good fit for Minnesota. I'm paraphrasing, but the talk about a "Tubby Smith" kind of hire, has gone by the wayside. My translation: here we go again! G

GL

Great post as always.

You made mention of JM in your post. You let it be known he is not on the top of your list and didn't lower yourself to the mud slinging that some do.

Having said that, I would be curious as to your thoughts on Prez B and also the addition of Dave Mona.

Thanks again, and don't be leaving the country.
Honestly, I've never met Bruinicks - I do appreciate his commitment to athletics, and I know he's been behind a lot of decisions. As for Dave Mona - I feel MUCH better knowing that he's involved. Just a fantastic guy, passionate fan, but he obviously has that business sense behind him, as he runs a large and successful company with Shandwick. Couldn't say enough good things about Dave.

He quit answering my emails after I asked him to resign. :D

He must have stopped answering a lot of emails then...

GL, I was told that he said a "Minnesota Fit" is the most important thing in hiring a new coach (whatever THAT means)...he must understand Minnesota. It might be a coordinator, or and assistant coach, but he MUST be a good fit for Minnesota. I'm paraphrasing, but the talk about a "Tubby Smith" kind of hire, has gone by the wayside. My translation: here we go again! G

Dear god, they got that in Brewster! I don't care how Minnesota nice a coach is, if we've learned anything, isn't it that we need to win? Save the marketing for the marketing department, I don't want to pay a coach a million or two mil a year to do that job.

Personally, I don't need an apology, I need change. I'm not a baseball fan in the least - but after going to two Twins games this year, I was like - they get it. Season ticket holders are appreciated, I was amazed that their season tickets are discounted, and that they have the benefits of the Metropolitan Club. We have the DQ club, why don't we open that up to season ticket holders. I know there are a lot more people, maybe have 1 or 2 games a season for certain sections, and let them check it out...oh, and the benefit there is - people will probably spend more money too! Renewal rates are going to be very bad if they don't do something. And unfortunately, even when I worked with hoops, he didn't listen. People always ask why I think Maturi is incompetent - because I've seen this stuff for years, and we'll never be winners with him as our AD.

I'm 100% behind you in feeling the U needs to do more to appreciate the season ticket holders. But I'll play devil's advocate for a second (aka Joel Maturi)...We are getting a discount on our tickets. The face value for all the games is technically $400 and we all got them for $250. Back to reality, the face value of the tickets is insanely overpriced and the U better figure that out quickly and get flexible. Because without a winner they'll soon be forced to go all Indiana on the problem and offer $5 family tickets, etc.

I'm 100% behind you in feeling the U needs to do more to appreciate the season ticket holders. But I'll play devil's advocate for a second (aka Joel Maturi)...We are getting a discount on our tickets. The face value for all the games is technically $400 and we all got them for $250. Back to reality, the face value of the tickets is insanely overpriced and the U better figure that out quickly and get flexible. Because without a winner they'll soon be forced to go all Indiana on the problem and offer $5 family tickets, etc.

You are correct, and I believe ours are $275 - I should have put a larger discount (seeing as what they are worth). Thanks for catching that! My point was that season ticket holders should be seeing the game for a better price than non-ticket holders, but I know you got that.

Worst it's ever been? Cold comfort, but 1983 was even worse. Six games giving up more than 50 points. We aren't going to do that this season.

9/10 W 21 at Rice 17 10,000
9/17 L 13 Nebraska (1) 84 KETV-TV 62,687
9/24 L 20 Purdue 32 41,839
10/1 L 18 at Ohio State (8) 69 89,192
10/8 L 31 at Indiana 38 41,111
10/15 L 17 Wisconsin 56 WKOW-TV 62,689
10/22 L 8 at Northwestern 19 21,411
10/29 L 10 at Michigan State 34 76,481
11/5 L 23 Illinois (6) 50 WCIA-TV 35,514
11/12 L 10 Michigan (9) 58 WSTN-TV 40,945
11/19 L 10 at Iowa (11) 61 66,160

Nice of GL to take a break from creepily sniffing jocks and stalking high schoolers to talk about something different.
There's really no reason he shouldn't be banned for this post.

There were a few, but most people understood that we needed to be successful before that should happen.

somewhat off topic but.... is there a mock-up of said 30,000 additional seats at TCF bank stadium? I understand 30,000 empty seats would do nothing for the program at present, I have just been curious what the mock-up would look like.

anyone?

further GL's blog was on the mark. for a few moments last year I held hope that the new stadium would keep fans around for more than one season. as was evidenced at each game following the USD debacle this is not true.

Top Bottom