GopherHole's Sports Huddle Summary: Coach Jerry Kill - 5/18/14

Lot of posts today for a recap! Thanks for a great job once again...most of the other posts I could do without though. Allow Weber to be a teacher. Many successful coaches weren't successful in the pros. We have no clue what he is capable of doing. Why judge him?

The record books tell the story. None of the biased Adam Weber bashing people around here will live as long as the record books will be around to tell the Adam Weber University of Minnesota quarterback story in numbers and statistics. The biased people here have a tainted opinion that only means something to severely biased Weber-bashing individuals. I say let somebody put up more numbers than Adam Weber did IF they can. Until that happens, no matter what the biased Weber bashers try to say, the record books speak MUCH louder than their words. Adam Weber did the BEST he or anyone else playing at that time in the Brewster system could do in spite of the lack of blocking, the lack of a running game and the horrendous coaching that brewball brought to my Golden Gopher Football Team. Adam Weber was one hell of a great competitor. He was TOUGH. He played hurt. And it was the coaches who just kept handing him the ball for four years...even when he was hurt.

I totally disagree with EVERY biased Weber basher around these parts. I wish my Golden Gopher Football Team had a hell of a lot more Adam Weber types of quarterbacks that the Coaches would just keep handing the ball to! And Adam Weber is still trying his very best to help my Golden Gopher Football Team in ANY and EVERY way he can.

You are a good man and the record books speak for your career at the U of M Adam Weber. Thank you Adam. I always appreciated you as a player and continue to appreciate your willingness to help Golden Gopher Football Players and coaches any way you can.

The record books tell the story. None of the biased people around here will live longer than the record books. The biased people here have a biased opinion that only means something to that biased individual. I say let somebody put up more numbers than Adam Weber did IF they can. Until that happens, no matter what the biased Weber bashers try to say, the record books speak MUCH louder than their words. Adam Weber did the BEST he could do in spite of the lack of blocking, the lack of a running game and the horrendous coaching that brewball brought to my Golden Gopher Football Team. Adam Weber was one hell of a great competitor. He was TOUGH. He played hurt. And the darn coaches just kept handing him the ball.

I totally disagree with EVERY biased Weber basher around these parts. I wish my Golden Gopher Football Team had a hell of a lot more Adam Weber types of quarterbacks that the Coaches would just keep handing the ball to! And Adam Weber is still trying his very best to help my Golden Gopher Football Team in ANY and EVERY way he can.

You are a good man and the record books speak for your career at the U of M Adam Weber. Thank you Adam. I always appreciated you as a player and continue to appreciate your willingness to help Golden Gopher Football Players and coaches any way you can.

+1!!!!!

The record books tell the story. None of the biased Adam Weber bashing people around here will live as long as the record books will be around to tell the Adam Weber University of Minnesota quarterback story in numbers and statistics. The biased people here have a tainted opinion that only means something to severely biased Weber-bashing individuals. I say let somebody put up more numbers than Adam Weber did IF they can. Until that happens, no matter what the biased Weber bashers try to say, the record books speak MUCH louder than their words. Adam Weber did the BEST he or anyone else playing at that time in the Brewster system could do in spite of the lack of blocking, the lack of a running game and the horrendous coaching that brewball brought to my Golden Gopher Football Team. Adam Weber was one hell of a great competitor. He was TOUGH. He played hurt. And it was the coaches who just kept handing him the ball for four years...even when he was hurt.

Wren, you said it very well. But I caught hell from some hobnob for telling an individual anti Weber dude to STFU this time. Go figure.

Wren, you said it very well. But I caught hell from some hobnob for telling an individual anti Weber dude to STFU this time. Go figure.

Yes, I saw that. I think what you need to start doing, Dr. Don is to start explaining yourself more fully and completely. That's right, Dr. Don, instead of modestly STFU-ing the foolish Weber-bashers, you need to spell it out. You need to say it with words...LOTS of words. IF you think they are being rude, obnoxious and way out of line with their bashing of a Golden Gopher Record Holding Quarterback, you just can't tell them to STFU and let it go at that. TELL the story. Spend a few paragraphs arguing, debating, presenting opposing opinions to their obviously incorrect biased opinions.

Get passionate Dr. Don. Instead of just STFU-ing the negative, bashing dudes/dudettes: Throw the damn book at 'em!

Give "em "what-for" Dr. Don...but do it with words...a LOT of words!

Do you really believe folks with an opinion likely shared by 50%+ of GH posters should "shut the f*ck up"?

I would bet that not even close to 50% of the people here think he was below average.

Yes, I saw that. I think what you need to start doing, Dr. Don is to start explaining yourself more fully and completely. That's right, Dr. Don, instead STFU-ing the foolish Weber-bashers, you need to spell it out. You need to say it with words...LOTS of words. IF you think they are being rude, obnoxious and way out of line with their bashing of a Golden Gopher Record Holding Quarterback, you just can't tell them to STFU and let it go at that. TELL the story. Spend a few paragraphs arguing, debating, presenting opposing opinions to their obviously incorrect biased opinions.

Get passionate Dr. Don. Instead of just STFU-ing the negative, bashing dudes/dudettes: Throw the damn book at 'em!

Give "em "what-for" Dr. Don...but do it with words...a LOT of words!

Wren, I refuse to waste good air arguing with airheads. They do a good enough job of airing their airheadedness without me giving them more airtime.

It's not like too many people are saying Weber was a great QB. I think he was a solid QB on many bad or average teams. I don't think the difference in opinion means people are "romancing" the guy.

A solid QB who had 4 different offenses to learn (which is unheard of), made an NFL active roster & is still playing professionally.

No one belly aches about Coach Z, but he played one season of D3, so what does that tell us? If Coach Kill think Weber can help Leidner then I'm on board.

You Weber bashers don't have a clue. Find another target to complain about.

Adam Weber was the best QB we had at the time and would likely be Coach Kills guy if he was still eligible. He did the best he could under the conditions especially considering he constantly had adapt to about a gadzillion offensive coordinators. And his stats hold their own compare to other past Gopher QB's.

The current Gopher QB's are fortunate to have Weber in their hip pocket during the off season. He is putting in time with Kills guys and that is a good thing.

You Weber bashers don't have a clue. Find another target to complain about. Adam Weber was the best QB we had at the time and would likely be Coach Kills guy if he was still eligible. He did the best he could under the conditions especially considering he constantly had adapt to about a gadzillion offensive coordinators. And his stats hold their own compare to other past Gopher QB's. The current Gopher QB's are fortunate to have Weber in their hip pocket during the off season. He is putting in time with Kills guys and that is a good thing.

Couldn't agree more! Well said Bayfield!

You Weber bashers don't have a clue. Find another target to complain about.

Adam Weber was the best QB we had at the time and would likely be Coach Kills guy if he was still eligible. He did the best he could under the conditions especially considering he constantly had adapt to about a gadzillion offensive coordinators. And his stats hold their own compare to other past Gopher QB's.

The current Gopher QB's are fortunate to have Weber in their hip pocket during the off season. He is putting in time with Kills guys and that is a good thing.

Tell that to Jayeyem who seems to claim that over 50% of GopherHolers think Weber was bad.

He did the best he could under the conditions especially considering he constantly had adapt to about a gadzillion offensive coordinators. And his stats hold their own compare to other past Gopher QB's.

Not to mention...how many times did Weber take a snap, take two steps, then have to spin, start running, or throw the ball at the feet of his RB to avoid a sack? This dude was on the run for four years - AND he had no running game to help him out. Sure, E. Decker helps, but I've never understood the Weber critics. If you actually watched the entire game being played, meaning not just the location of his throws, but the pass blocking, players around him, etc, I don't know how you come away not thinking that this guy was a solid big ten QB. I watch pretty much every big ten game and there was not much difference between Weber and Kirk Cousins, except the players around them. Can anyone tell me honestly that Weber wouldn't have been just as successful in an offense featuring B.J Cunningham, Keyshawn Martin, LeVeon Bell, and a defense exponentially better than anything Weber played with? Please.

Not to mention...how many times did Weber take a snap, take two steps, then have to spin, start running, or throw the ball at the feet of his RB to avoid a sack? This dude was on the run for four years - AND he had no running game to help him out. Sure, E. Decker helps, but I've never understood the Weber critics. If you actually watched the entire game being played, meaning not just the location of his throws, but the pass blocking, players around him, etc, I don't know how you come away not thinking that this guy was a solid big ten QB. I watch pretty much every big ten game and there was not much difference between Weber and Kirk Cousins, except the players around them. Can anyone tell me honestly that Weber wouldn't have been just as successful in an offense featuring B.J Cunningham, Keyshawn Martin, LeVeon Bell, and a defense exponentially better than anything Weber played with? Please.

Agree with all of this as well!

Too many times, Adam took a snap and got almost through a three step drop before having to avoid pressure. His protection was abysmal and lack of a consistent offensive scheme didn't help either. I would GLADLY take an Adam Weber to play in our offense as currently comprised over any QB on the roster at this moment. It would be pretty hard to convince me otherwise.

Kill affirmed Sid’s assessment, “Mitch is ready to go . . . great leadership, tough . . . needs to work on his passing.” Kill said Mitch has been working out with Adam Weber “everyday.”

I could care less about rehashing Weber, this is what stands out.

A solid QB who had 4 different offenses to learn (which is unheard of), made an NFL active roster & is still playing professionally.

No one belly aches about Coach Z, but he played one season of D3, so what does that tell us? If Coach Kill think Weber can help Leidner then I'm on board.

Excellent points especially about the different offenses. It seemed like he had a new OC every couple of months. He did well given the circumstances.

I don't mind all the b!tching on GH for all sorts of things but could never understand why people criticize former players for their play. Sure, some have been marginal players but it was not their fault we didn't have someone better to replace them. In most cases, I think we should appreciate past players who did their best and graduated from the U as good citizens.

Thread hijack alert:

QB 1: 3762-1886 50.1% 27663 Yards 173 TD 220 INT 65.5 QB Rating; won less than half the games he played in.
QB 2: 1594-909 57.0% 10917 Yards 72 TD 51 INT 123.1 QB Rating; won a third of the games he played in.

Anybody guess who they are?

Of course, QB 2 was Adam Weber.

QB 1 was HALL OF FAMER Joe Namath. Joe Namath sucked in most games he played in, but he predicted a Super Bowl win and his team pulled it off. He was 17-28 for 206 yards and had one of the only games in his career that he didn't throw a pick. He played in NY, drank like a fish, and had a big mouth. That gets you love and adoration and a bust in the Hall. He happened to play on a team that had one good year in 55 tries. Watch some video of Namath...he was generally awful.

Adam Weber played on some pretty bad teams with little to no support and out performed Mr. Namath. Yes, different level, but Weber was more of a "leader" and a far more accurate passer.

Adam Weber was the best QB we had at the time and would likely be Coach Kills guy if he was still eligible.

Totally agree. Not even close to the point I was arguing.

So it has been declared that way less than 50% of folks thought Weber was below average. Wow that under 50% seemed like more when booing at games and posting here. But, the usual backers disagree and therefore I must be wrong. LOL.

BTW Wren - I also am very glad Mason was finally fired. He deserved to be years before.

I can't believe Wren went with an individual stat based analysis of Adam Weber. If we know anything about his approach is that Big 10 WINS are all that matters. That being said, I actually agree his point - I just found it odd that he strayed from his main talking point.

Don't throw hand picked stats out of context to make your point. He also was a 4-year starter - that may have helped accumulate some yards. Being behind in virtually every game may have helped too. Just sayin.

I would choose wins per start as a hand picked stat to throw at you if I wanted to play that game, but I am not looking at stats. I saw every home Gopher game of AW's career in person. I saw a handful of road games live as well. I watched every other road game on TV. I watched likely 75% of his games over on tape a second time. I'm telling you FreakyDeke... Adam Weber was a below average QB.

Will you define what constitutes below average? Because to me below average QBs do not accomplish the "hand picked" stat I gave out AND have a cup of coffee in the NFL. Below average QBs don't even get a sniff from NFL teams. I'm not arguing he was great, but I honestly don't understand your grading criteria if he is below average. What's average?

Don't throw hand picked stats out of context to make your point. He also was a 4-year starter - that may have helped accumulate some yards. Being behind in virtually every game may have helped too. Just sayin.

I would choose wins per start as a hand picked stat to throw at you if I wanted to play that game, but I am not looking at stats. I saw every home Gopher game of AW's career in person. I saw a handful of road games live as well. I watched every other road game on TV. I watched likely 75% of his games over on tape a second time. I'm telling you FreakyDeke... Adam Weber was a below average QB.

Heck, you just said it, he was a 4 year Big Ten starter. If 50 percent of QBs are better than him, how could that happen? Have the gophers ever had an average QB?

Will you define what constitutes below average? Because to me below average QBs do not accomplish the "hand picked" stat I gave out AND have a cup of coffee in the NFL. Below average QBs don't even get a sniff from NFL teams. I'm not arguing he was great, but I honestly don't understand your grading criteria if he is below average. What's average?

FD - I was basing my opinion solely on what I witnessed and believe. I see your point and I realize that I can't win this argument on GH so I won't try. My opinion is clearly the minority of those on this thread and I'm not digging in any deeper. I hope Adam improves ML's play. All I want is the Gophers to succeed!

Tell that to Jayeyem who seems to claim that over 50% of GopherHolers think Weber was bad.

I guess a shaky KRJB signal and fifteen Schmidts can lend itself to rosy retrospection.

That said, I was probably high with my 50% number. Maybe Spoofin and I went to different games?

Of course, QB 2 was Adam Weber.

QB 1 was HALL OF FAMER Joe Namath. Joe Namath sucked in most games he played in, but he predicted a Super Bowl win and his team pulled it off. He was 17-28 for 206 yards and had one of the only games in his career that he didn't throw a pick. He played in NY, drank like a fish, and had a big mouth. That gets you love and adoration and a bust in the Hall. He happened to play on a team that had one good year in 55 tries. Watch some video of Namath...he was generally awful.

Adam Weber played on some pretty bad teams with little to no support and out performed Mr. Namath. Yes, different level, but Weber was more of a "leader" and a far more accurate passer.

A. Pro and college QB rating are entirely different computations, so comparing them to each other is meaningless.

B. You're comparing stats put up against NFL defenses to those put up against Big Ten and mid-major defenses? Seriously?

I can't believe Wren went with an individual stat based analysis of Adam Weber. If we know anything about his approach is that Big 10 WINS are all that matters. That being said, I actually agree his point - I just found it odd that he strayed from his main talking point.

My, oh my you are being so uninspiring here gopherhomer. You don't know diddly squat about the difference between a quarterback and a coach. And you also apparently don't understand just WHO has the power and WHO is totally responsible and who is going to get a shiv in the back with salt poured into the wound as the result of the outcome of Big Ten (B1G) Conference wins and losses.

The Coach is responsible for EVERYTHING. The Coach has ALL the power. The Coach recruits the players. The Coach coaches the players. The Coach names the starting players. The Coach can substitute any player any time the coach wants to substitute that player. The Coach gets paid outlandish sums of money. The Coach is going to take any and every hit and eventually virtually every coach who does not keep his team and his program competitive with the other teams in the conference will be dumped, ditched, bought out and left by the road side. It is the COACH who is ranked by the number of Big Ten Wins vs. losses. It is the Coach who names the quarterback. It is the coach who always decides which quarterback will play. It is the coach who changes the offense. It is the coach who does the game planning. It is the coach...it is the coach...it is the coach.

IF the coach doesn't put a competitive offense on the field, it means the coach has let ALL the players down. If the coach puts his quarterback out there without a decent offensive line and a decent running game it is the coach who has failed the quarterback...not the other way around.

We can tell ALL there is to know about the coach by the number of B1G games he wins and the number of B1G games he loses. Any Coach who wins LESS games than Cal Stoll, Glen Mason and even the last few Berman and Warmath years (when they were forced out) doesn't meet the "high" standard that the U of M administrators, fans and the local media have established in turning the U of M into a "graveyard" for Coaches. The U of M fires them...they buy them out...they do it over...and over again.

Coach Kill will need to be trending from the bottom left hand side of the Conference win mark to the upper right hand side if he doesn't want to suffer the same fate as Cal Stoll...Glen Mason, et al.

So, you see, the Conference win totals are CRUCIAL for the head coaches and the assistant coaches. They really mean NOTHING for the quarterbacks. The coach has all the power to play the quarterback of his choice. All the quarterback can do is go out there and give it his all with the other players the coach has the power to play...or not play.

The Conference win total is the barometer of just how well the coach is doing putting a competitive product on the field. Any Coach who wins less conference games than Stoll and Mason may be suffering a hot seat sooner rather than later. Stoll and Mason were at least able to last past the five year mark.

I think what you said is true, wren. If you ask me, I think what you said is true. Then again, I think what you said is true.

Wow wren – Per your use of words like EVERYTHING above you want your world to be black and white. I am afraid though wren it isn't. I am sure though that it is a lot easier that way when you have simple mind.

You are also the guy that thought Phawk***** was the best thing on Strib blog and then proceeded with him to drive everybody away. Real classy! You also disagreed with me when I said that Coach Kill was the “real thing”. You said that there was no way I could know that. I suggested to you that if you actually listen to him, watched his actions, and looked at his past record you might and could learn something about him. Then you hit me with your ultimate simplistic saying “It is all about Big Ten wins.” But sometimes it is about being able to look forward instead of just backwards. I am sure the simple life has its advantages doesn't it Chance.

I think what you said is true, wren. If you ask me, I think what you said is true. Then again, I think what you said is true.

See, now that did not seem that difficult. It is possible to say the same thing over and over and do it in less than 500 words.

Well done.

A. Pro and college QB rating are entirely different computations, so comparing them to each other is meaningless.

B. You're comparing stats put up against NFL defenses to those put up against Big Ten and mid-major defenses? Seriously?

I don't know for sure, but I imagine his point was how they are remembered and perceived, not necessarily how good they were.

Top Bottom