GopherHole's Sports Huddle Summary: Coach Jerry Kill - 5/11/14

DL65

Reaction score
Today’s Jerry Kill Sports Huddle Notes:

1) Sid opened the show talking about this week’s NFL draft. His first question was about NIU’s Jimmy Ward being selected in the first round. Sid wanted to know if he thought he was that good; deserving to be a first round pick: Kill said, “(Ward) Is a talented kid . . . he’ll have a long storied career . . . can run and is physical.” Kill said he was a lightly recruited player – apparently NIU was the only Division One School to show interest.

2) Sid then asked Kill what it was like to be New York for the NFL Draft: “Tremendous opportunity to be in the Green Room (with the players awaiting their name to be called),” replied Kill. He said having two players from Minnesota (Ra’Shede Hageman and Brock Vereen) is good for the state of Minnesota, the University of Minnesota, the team, and for recruiting:

“Ra’Shede is going to a great team . . . (his) life changed overnight.”

“Brock – felt he should have been a higher pick . . . will have a tremendous career.”

“Aaron Hill was picked up after the draft - to the St. Louis Rams.”

It was apparent that Coach Kill was pleased and excited for the players that are getting a chance to play at the next level.

3) Sid followed up Kill’s comments asking about Brock Vereen: “He’s very good . . . he’s smart, fast, great character . . . great fit (for the Bears),” answered Kill. He said Brock Vereen is the type of player that could play safety or corner. Kill also alluded to Marc Treastman’s connection the University of Minnesota, which he believes is a good thing.

4) Dave Mona asked about NIU quarterback Jordan Lynch: Kill replied, “Picked up by Chicago . . . (plays with a) chip on shoulder . . . he’ll surprise some in camp, but it’s tough (moving up to the next level).” He added, “It’s where you go and get a chance to play.”

Kill also mentioned that Lynch - as was Jimmy Ward - was only recruited by his staff when they were at Northern Illinois University. Again, you could detect a sense of pride and happiness in his voice when he was talking about Lynch, as well as the three former Gophers: Ra’Shede Hageman, Brock Vereen and Aaron Hill.

5) Sid asked about the clinics at the U this summer: There will be eleven camps conducted by Coach Kill and his staff. Some of the camps will be open for specialized skill sets and different age groups of youthful players. Kill stressed the importance of the camps for evaluation, “Helps us in recruiting.”

He also mentioned two clinics/camps for adults:

a) “Boys of Fall Camp” – August 1-3. It’s open to 25 (men and women). Participants will sit in the film room with the coaches and players and will receive “Inside information.” They’ll also, of course, attend the workouts and meals as well. If interested and for additional information: www.coachkillfbcamp.com

b) “Date Night” will be held on July 24. This year’s event is a cruise down the Mississippi River with the Minnesota coaching staff. Additional information and registration is at www.goldengopherfund.com

Sid said information for the summer camps and adult events can also be obtained by calling (612) 624-6004.

6) Sid asked about the team and their current regimen: Kill responded, “Finals this week . . . need to finish strong.” And continuing on the education front, Kill said there is a May term and that 20-25 players will be taking classes, as well as participating in their voluntary workouts.

Freshmen recruits will be reporting to school and the voluntary workouts on June 14.

Coach finished the question, “They’ll get to work soon.” I took his comment to mean the incoming players.

7) Sid asked if there were any new additions to the team –JUCOs: “Not right now. We’re at where we need to be,” said Kill.

8) Dave Mona finished the segment wishing Kill’s wife, Rebecca, and all mothers a Happy Mother’s Day. Kill, of course, did the same.

Go Gophers!!

Good stuff!!! Thanks, DL. Now, let Sunday proceed!

DL65

I apologize to you and your wife that Dr.Don didn't give you Mother's Day off. She is a saint for allowing you to do this almost every Sunday. Please wish her a Happy Mother's Day from all of us here at the GopherHole. Now I better take my wife out for lunch.

a couple answers sounded like Brewster was the one being interviewed. thanks for the "Tremendous" recap DL.

No questions about Jordan? Weak.

Meat learns how to give an interview

I read DL's report every week hoping that a good question will get asked and answered but in reality...the good questions rarely get asked, and when they do, they are rarely answered.

I like Pitino's blog much better. I love what Kill is doing with the program, but the guy is a walking cliche regurgitating machine. I feel like he is Meat getting interviewed after making the big club in bull durham every week.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KeVca9MwDX8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No questions about Jordan? Weak.

I imagine he wouldn't have said anything about if asked so probably not worth it. Kill may have told them before going on the air that he wouldn't comment on it.

I imagine he wouldn't have said anything about if asked so probably not worth it. Kill may have told them before going on the air that he wouldn't comment on it.

Agree with you and besides, it really is none of our business, I would rather read the speculation and gossip.

Thanks for the weekly updates. Much more plesant report than the another thread currently going. Don't get me wrong, needs to be reported and hopefully many people will learn from it.

I agree. I just think it needs to be asked. I'll also concede it is none of our business.

At least Sid didn't ask about the Wayzata players

This could be true, or this is just a 'message board' controversy. There's a decent chance that Sid and Dave have no idea that 3rd string DT who has never seen the field has left the program. It would have been entertaining to listen to Sid's interpretation of the last name, though...

The stuff about being the only school to recruit Jimmie Ward and Jordan Lynch is a myth. Jimmie Ward had offers from several Division I schools, and while NIU was the only school willing to recruit Jordan Lynch as a QB, several schools were very interested in him as a DB or WR, which he did not want to play in college. I give full credit to Kill and staff for locating these players and bringing them to NIU, but he goes a little overboard sometimes with his recruiting stories.

The stuff about being the only school to recruit Jimmie Ward and Jordan Lynch is a myth. Jimmie Ward had offers from several Division I schools, and while NIU was the only school willing to recruit Jordan Lynch as a QB, several schools were very interested in him as a DB or WR, which he did not want to play in college. I give full credit to Kill and staff for locating these players and bringing them to NIU, but he goes a little overboard sometimes with his recruiting stories.

Per Jimmie:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Big shout out to coach Jay Sawvel..The only D1 coach who took a chance on me. A genius when it comes to football <a href="http://t.co/tfPd0VJ1nZ">pic.twitter.com/tfPd0VJ1nZ</a></p>— Jimmie ward (@ward_jimmie) <a href="https://twitter.com/ward_jimmie/statuses/464274019337125889">May 8, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Per Jimmie:

Big shout out to coach Jay Sawvel..The only D1 coach who took a chance on me. A genius when it comes to football pic.twitter.com/tfPd0VJ1nZ— Jimmie ward (@ward_jimmie) May 8, 2014

Doesn't matter what Jimmie says - only what dpo says.

Doesn't matter what Jimmie says - only what do says.

First of all, the statement is demonstrably false on its face. The whole NIU staff "took a chance on [him]", not just Jay Sawvel. It's a false statement regardless of whether or not he received other scholarship offers.

Second, it doesn't matter what either of us say. It matters what the facts are. The facts are that Jimmie Ward received football scholarship offers from several Division I schools.

Finally, it certainly isn't possible that someone would stretch the truth to keep setting themselves up as an underdog and keep that chip on their shoulder. That has never happened before.

First of all, the statement is demonstrably false on its face. The whole NIU staff "took a chance on [him]", not just Jay Sawvel. It's a false statement regardless of whether or not he received other scholarship offers.

Second, it doesn't matter what either of us say. It matters what the facts are. The facts are that Jimmie Ward received football scholarship offers from several Division I schools.

Finally, it certainly isn't possible that someone would stretch the truth to keep setting themselves up as an underdog and keep that chip on their shoulder. That has never happened before.
boring

According to Rivals his offer list was pretty light. Regardless though appears to one of those classic cases of a guy that gets overlooked for one reason or another and falls through the cracks.

Kill and his staff do seem to have a decent track record when it comes to taking a chance on the guys that the big boys pass on.

Doesn't matter what Jimmie says - only what dpo says.

dpo is never wrong and I have 4,000 posts on this board where he tells us how not wrong he is about every ****ing little thing.

Jimmie is simply misremembering and should contact dpo so he can figure out what happened so he won't force dpo to go on national tv to set the record straight...dpo right, Jimmie and Coach Kill WRONG!

You would know. Can you now tell us who really shot JFK?

dpo is never wrong

False.

where he tells us how not wrong he is about every ****ing little thing

You're lying.

Jimmie is simply misremembering and should contact dpo so he can figure out what happened so he won't force dpo to go on national tv to set the record straight...dpo right, Jimmie and Coach Kill WRONG!

Once again, it's not about who's right or wrong. It's a factually incorrect statement to state that Jimmie Ward was recruited by, or offered by, exactly and only one Division I school. Period. Incontrovertible truth. Cannot be argued against.

If you want to make this about me rather than the facts, go right ahead. If you want to feel better about yourself with pathetic attempts to belittle me, have at it. For whatever reason it really rubs people on this board the wrong way when I deal in facts rather than let people make things up to suit their narrative.

Per Yahoo/Rivals he was offered by the New Mexico Lobos...that's at least one additional D1 program. Do you have an aversion to facts?

I was in no way arguing the factual statements made by Jimmie, Coach Kill or dpod or the accuracy of Yahoo/Rivals. I was merely showing my dislike for dpol and his pathetic need to be right and argue every freaking little point to death in his pathetic effort to prove he is right. But you two are birds of a feather, so enjoy.

I was in no way arguing the factual statements made by Jimmie, Coach Kill or dpod or the accuracy of Yahoo/Rivals. I was merely showing my dislike for dpol and his pathetic need to be right and argue every freaking little point to death in his pathetic effort to prove he is right. But you two are birds of a feather, so enjoy.

Once again, whether I'm right or not is beside the point. The point is the truth.

But please, continue to make this about me.

That's the saddest thing written on here in a long time. To paraphrase, "I don't care about talking about things factually and actually actively dislike those that do; particularly when they do it on a consistent basis".

Top Bottom