GopherHole's Sports Huddle Summary: Coach Jerry Kill - 3/9/14

DL65

Reaction score
Mike Max, once again, filled in for vacationing Dave Mona. Responses and comments by Coach Jerry Kill on today’s Sports Huddle are as follows:

1) Sid opened the show asking for Kill’s impressions of the team during the first week of spring drill: Kill replied, “Feel real good . . . first two practices without pads.” He also said Adam Weber had helped at the practices and said practices “Looked like NFL practices (business-like).”

The players at Saturday’s practice were in pads: “Third day got after it – kids handled it pretty well . . . good clean practice.”

Overall, Jerry Kill sounded very upbeat about the team’s first week of practice. He sounded excited when he mentioned some players as the segment progressed.

2) Sid wanted to know his thoughts about quarterback Dimonic McKinzy and linebacker Cody Poock (recruits that reported early): Coach Kill sounded very excited about Poock’s first week of practice, “Cody Poock – you go wow!” He added, “He’s going to be a very good football player . . . He’ll be fun to watch.” He also said Poock loves to hit.

Kill’s comments on Dimonic McKinzy were brief but positive: “Dimonic is a learning quarterback (that’s) trying to get comfortable.” By his brief response, you could tell that Kill is glad Dimonic reported early and is making the transition to college ball this spring; however, he doesn’t want to put a lot of pressure on the young quarterback (unrealistic expectations).

3) Sid asked Kill what he thought of the 4 Washburn players on the team when he meant to say Wayzata: In any event, Kill said: “Jeff Jones – you don’t get many kids like that.” Again, Kill sounded excited when discussing the running back recruit.

The question was clarified when discussion turned to the Wayzata players on the team: “All are good players,” replied Kill, “Ben Lauer is bigger and stronger.” Lauer is 6-7 and 315 pounds, according to Kill.

Finishing the question, Kill said, “Chris Wipson (linebacker) is a good player . . . all (Wayzata players on the team) are well coached.” (Kill was referring to their high school coaches.)

4) Question was raised about this week’s practice schedule: Kill said they’ll have meetings on Monday and Wednesday, practices on Tuesday and Thursday, and the team then will take time off for the school’s spring break. After the spring break they’ll return to the practice field.

5) Sid asked for Coach Kill’s feelings about Mike Sherels being promoted to linebacker coach and Marcus Sherels re-signing with the Vikings: “It’s a good move (referencing Mike’s appointment) . . . good people (Mike and Marcus) . . . happy for Mike and Marcus.”

Kill was very positive when he described Mike Sherels coaching attributes: “Played for the “U” . . . passionate . . . good ball coach . . . A dream for him (coaching at his alma mater) . . . smart, intelligent.”

Coach Kill said when Bill Miller left for Florida State they looked across the country; however, “When the job opened up several players approached him (Kill).” Sid questioned Kill about Sherels young age. Laughing, Kill said, “We’ve all been young.” Nevertheless, he sounded happy for Mike Sherels and that he’s ready for the job; he cited the play of the linebackers in yesterday’s practice, of which he was pleased. Also, Kill’s philosophy of being loyal to his staff and promoting from within was apparent in his remarks.

6) Sid asked if they were reaching out to other coaches: “We’re searching to get better every year – offensively, defensively and kicking,” Kill replied, “Study and work.”

A follow-up question - for clarification purposes – Sid and Mike Max asked if the Gopher assistant coaches were going to visit other schools as they have in the past: Kill said they would be visiting other schools; however, he didn’t name the schools. He did say that they would visit people and teams that are similar to what Minnesota does on offense and defense. They’ll make the visits after spring ball and when they’re out recruiting (another advantage of starting spring drill earlier than in years past).

Go Gophers!!

Thanks for the recap DL65

Thanks for your work with this. Means quite a bit to me.

Thanks, DL. Do not recall Coach being nearly this optimistic in the past. Getting the team up to "NIU" level is a big deal for us. I expect a Top 25 team throughout the season this year. Hope we get the bowl thing figured out.

Thanks DL, I look forward to reading your summary every week and I usually listen to the program!

Overcoming The Daylight Savings barrier and Mike Max and delivering the notes is why DL is the MVGH. Thanks.

Podcast of the Sports Huddle

Normally, for those of you who enjoy listening to the podcast of the program after DL65 has translated it into English, I try to post it as soon as it becomes available. Last week, and so far this week, it has not yet become available. I don't know if this has anything to do with Dave Mona being gone but I would like to see this corrected. Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I might contact somebody at WCCO to get this corrected?

hats of to you for having to listen to Mike Max. WCCOs vanishing sports desk is directly related to maintaining a subpar staff.

Top Bottom