GopherHole's Sports Huddle Summary; Coach Jerry Kill - 3/16/14

DL65

Reaction score
Coach Jerry Kill’s responses and comments on today’s Sports Huddle:

1) Sid asked for Kill’s impressions of the team after the first two weeks of practice: Kill replied, “Feel good about it . . . accomplished a lot . . . installed offense and defense . . . a few guys need to heal up.”

Kill, once again, sounded enthusiastic with the team’s progress. He said when they return from spring break they’ll focus on execution and getting a lot of reps for the young players. He said a couple times during the interview that spring practice is for the younger players – getting them comfortable in the system and with tCheir roles/positions.

2) Sid wanted to know if there were any player surprises: Defensive back Damarius Travis was the first player cited by Coach Kill: “Damarius Travis had great 5-6 days of practice . . . a lot of progress.” Kill sounded excited about the secondary, too.

Tight-End Nate Wozniak was the second player that Kill mentioned, and, again, sounded excited. He mentioned Wozniak’s size (6-9 260 pounds) and his athletic ability: “Wozniak showed a lot – catching the ball and running with it!” He also said he’s shown that he’s a good blocker.

Kill closed the question saying the running backs have done a great job; however, he did not mention any specific names.

3) Sid wanted to know about injuries to players during the first two weeks of practice” Kill quickly replied, “Maxx Williams – have to be careful – we know what he can do . . . Donovahn Jones was injured in fourth practice (didn’t divulge the nature of Jones’ injury; however, he sounded confident he’ll be back when the team returns from spring break) . . . Amazing what Jon Christenson is doing (Kill did not elaborate).”

Kill, once again, reiterated the importance of keeping everyone healthy, so that they’re ready for fall practice that starts August 1.

4) Sid asked for a status report on Ohio State transfer Brian Bobek: “He’s back in action . . . hurt a hamstring . . . needs to get a lot of reps.” Although Coach Kill didn’t elaborate or say too much about Bobek’s current position on the team, he did sound pleased and glad that Bobek apparently has overcome his health issues of last season.

5) Dave Mona asked about redshirt kicker Ryan Santoso. According to Mona, Santoso has lost a lot of weight: Kill said they call him “slim.” Kill added, “When the ball comes off his foot you can hear it.”

Although he didn’t cite any other kickers by name, Kill sounded pleased with the kicking game.

6) Sid, as he did last week, asked about the “Four players from Wayzata:” The only player from Wayzata cited by Kill was Ben Lauer. He said, “Ben Lauer has had a good camp.” Kill also said if Lauer stays free of injuries and stays hungry he “can name his ticket.”

Kill said Wayzata recruit Brandon Lingen has been attending the spring practices.

7) Sid asked about Wayzata linebacker Chris Wipson: Kill answered, “Chris redshirted a year ago . . . time for reps – that’s what spring ball is for.” Again, Kill emphasized the importance reps and spring ball for underclassmen.

8) Mona mentioned the depth the Gophers now have at the tight end position: “We have a great one coming in, too,” replied Kill. He was referring to Gaelin Elmore of Somerset, Wisconsin.

Kill sounded pleased with the team’s depth at tight end: “More flexibility and size (at tight end) in the Big 10 the better . . . (at times) we may have four tight ends in there.”

9) Sid, once again, asked about the hiring of Mike Sherels as linebacker coach: Kill sounded confident with the hire: “He can sell the U (Kill spoke about Sherels’ playing days at Minnesota) . . . brother (Marcus) with the Viking - good bloodlines . . . excited everyone (referring to alumni and former lettermen when Mike was promoted) . . . he’s done a good job . . . our players are excited about Mike.”

10) Dave Mona asked for a report on Jonah Pirsig and Chris Streveler: “Jonah Pirsig – need to keep him healthy . . . his potential is endless and can do a lot of things,” replied Kill. By his comments and his inflection, Kill sounded excited when talking about the redshirt sophomore.

“Chris (Streveler) coming off hand surgery . . . haven’t seen any problems throwing the ball,” said Kill. He also cited the importance of reporting early – Chris Streveler has been at the university as a Gopher football player 1 ½ years and is “still a freshman.”

11) Sid said Kill is kept busy on speaking circuit: Kill answered, “Next Saturday I’ll be in Washington, DC - “Walking for Epilepsy” – speaking and supporting people with epilepsy.” And he added, “Then it’s back to spring ball.” He sounded excited and looking forward to the second half of spring drills.

Go Gophers!!

Thanks DL. Stopped my movie in the middle to read this as soon as it was posted. Well worth it!

Sent from my MZ617 using Tapatalk

DL, thanks as always for your reports. I still don't know if you are the best GH'er or not, but you are in the running.

Can someone explain the Bobek situation, please? What year is he eligibility-wise? Did he get a medical hardship waiver last year? His story has been a mini soap opera (not saying anything negative about him, he's just had a lot of weird circumstances to get to this position)

Thanks, DL. Super as always. 4 TEs? I smell some trickeration. POWER running!

RS Junior

Can someone explain the Bobek situation, please? What year is he eligibility-wise? Did he get a medical hardship waiver last year? His story has been a mini soap opera (not saying anything negative about him, he's just had a lot of weird circumstances to get to this position)

Per Gophersports, he is a RS Junior. It listed him as a sophomore in 2012 (not eligible to play due to transfer) and he did not redshirt in 2011 while at Ohio State; so last year was a redshirt year. No mention of a medical hardship waiver on that page.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/brian_bobek_823378.html

Will not see the field.

No worries about DL not seeing the field. He has been promoted to Director of "Sports Huddle" summary operations.:p

Thanks to DL for the summary!

Thanks DL. I rarely listen to the Sports Huddle these days. Sid is hard to take. I'm afraid he is failing more. I happened to catch a part today where Sid and Mona were interviewing Matt Cassell. In the middle of the interview, after a brief reference to Joe Mauer and his football days, Sid completely changed the subject and thought he was talking about the Twins.
On the flip side, the old bird is 94. Good for him. Keep going Sid!

Thanks again for the recap or I would be out of the loop as to what is going on.

With Kill singling out Elmore and mentioning the possibility of playing 4 TE's occasionally, I wouldn't be surprised if Gaelin plays as a true freshman.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Thanks DL. I rarely listen to the Sports Huddle these days. Sid is hard to take. I'm afraid he is failing more. I happened to catch a part today where Sid and Mona were interviewing Matt Cassell. In the middle of the interview, after a brief reference to Joe Mauer and his football days, Sid completely changed the subject and thought he was talking about the Twins.
On the flip side, the old bird is 94. Good for him. Keep going Sid!

On the one side its great that Sid is hanging in there and I hope its his choice. If it is CBS who either is holding him to contract, or insisting he appear on the huddle that is elder abuse.

Top Bottom