GopherHole's Sports Huddle Summary: Coach Jerry Kill - 2/2/14

DL65

Reaction score
Responses and comments by Coach Jerry Kill to questions by Sid Hartman and Dave Mona on today’s Sports Huddle:

1) Dave Mona opened the segment saying that Kill had been meeting with the family of a recruit just before the segment began. Sid asked Kill if he was sweating it out with Signing Day this Wednesday: “This time of the year we’re off the road (dead period) . . . You sweat; you’re in competition with many schools . . . (I) love competition . . . (this year’s class is) shaping up nicely,” replied Kill.

2) Sid asked how Kill was able to get kids from Alabama and Virginia: Kill quickly responded, “I will tell you, you try to get many from the Midwest, it’s a priority . . . then you look for a niche (he mentioned southern Illinois area) . . . Life’s about relationships . . . I’ve spoken all over the country.” He then credited his relationships with the high school coaches that he has developed.

3) Sid asked about walk-ons: “Trying to do our best . . . We’ve got some good kids . . . (walk-on recruiting is) niche for us,” Kill answered. He went onto say, “Getting them in school is not an easy process.” However, he proudly mentioned the team’s GPA and “We have a good track record” in walk-on recruiting.

4) Sid asked how many scholarships he expects to hand out this year: Kill said, “21-23 . . . see how it falls out . . . football is a game of numbers . . . would like to sign 30 a year (scholarships and walk-ons) . . . They’re all scholarships.” (He looks at the recruits the same, whether they’re a scholarship player or a walk-on, and, again, he mentioned that many of the walk-ons (track record) earn scholarships through dedicated, hard work.)

5) Sid asked about the weather and the impact it has on recruiting: (Laughing) “It’s not easy . . . (it’s) cold all over the country . . . lost a couple visits (because of transportation problems due to weather-related conditions in other parts of the nation),” Kill replied.

6) Dave Mona asked if they’re recruiting for need or best athletes available: Kill quickly said, “Need – receivers and playmakers . . . increasing depth in the offensive line. . . running backs . . . defensive side – linebackers and defensive line . . . want to create great competition . . . third year of recruiting – critical.” Kill stressed the importance of having depth and competition. He referenced the competition that Pete Carroll enjoyed at USC saying practice was game day every day.

7) Mona asked if we can expect Signing Day surprises, as we did last year (De’Vondre Campbell): (Laughing) “We’ll see,” Kill answered. (IMO, it sounded as though there are some players that they’re recruiting that the recruiting services are not aware of.)

Discussion then turned to the changing landscape of recruiting because of social media. Kill mentioned he found out that a recruit had announced his commitment via social media shortly after leaving his office, “Part of the new world . . . social media part of it.”

8) Mona asked about this year’s recruiting class: “We all get excited (coaches) . . . people change their minds on Tuesday,” replied Kill. He stressed you never know until the commitments have signed their Letters of Intent. Nevertheless, Kill sounded excited about this year’s class when describing the recruiting process.

9) Mona concluded the segment by offering Kill his congratulations on being inducted into the Southern Illinois University Hall of Fame; Kill replied, “Very Humbling . . . everything to do with our coaching staff and administrators.” Coach Kill said all of the administrators at SIU when he was their coach had left the institution; however, they returned for his induction.

Go Gophers!!

21-23? That's a lot more kids leaving the program. (And a few recruits currently not on the radar).

even tho I listen myself, I still read your recap. thnx

I do thank you as I never get to listen to the "show." Very much appreciated for your service to people llike me.

This weekly thread is the best part of GH. Thanks DL!!!

Thanks Mr. 65.

Paulser, addressing DL as Mr. 65 makes me uncomfortable because he should be addressed as Sir 65, like we do Sir Sidney.

Thanks again DL. We anxiously await the GopherHole Staff Thread on whose faxes have come in come Wednesday. I sincerely hope we let GH Staff take the lead with a single "All Things Official Commitments".

21-23? That's a lot more kids leaving the program. (And a few recruits currently not on the radar).

He already mentioned earlier that a guys was graduated and was moving on (likely Ramlet). I would guess that Christenson and Westerhaus will take medical scholarships and are done. Maybe Eldred is moving on as well. Sky ain't falling, prof.

He already mentioned earlier that a guys was graduated and was moving on (likely Ramlet). I would guess that Christenson and Westerhaus will take medical scholarships and are done. Maybe Eldred is moving on as well. Sky ain't falling, prof.

21-23 is a very gray number. That could include PWO in addition to your suggestions.

Neither Ramlet nor Eldred are/were on scholarship, so they're inconsequential to this particular discussion.

even tho I listen myself, I still read your recap. thnx

I also do the same thing myself and I am always amazed by how well DL65 captures both what is said and the tone of what was said. In his notes DL65 wrote (7) "Mona asked if we can expect Signing Day surprises, as we did last year (De’Vondre Campbell): (Laughing) “We’ll see,” Kill answered. (IMO, it sounded as though there are some players that they’re recruiting that the recruiting services are not aware of.)". I came away with the same sense as DL65 did but I also felt that Kill was optimistic that there could be a surprise or two. Then again it was like he was teasing us a little, but one can hope.

I know he got hurt, but has there been any indication that it is potentially career threatening? Did I miss something?

Did Jon Christenson get a compound break on his leg? If so, is that something that can take a long time (longer than a year) to heal?

My favorite part of today's show was Sid telling Kill they were waiting for him at Murray's and that he can bring Rachel there anytime. Mona was laughing as he signed off.

Neither Ramlet nor Eldred are/were on scholarship, so they're inconsequential to this particular discussion.

U right on Ramlet, wrong on Eldred. He's on scholarship.

You guys can make fun of Sid all you want. But I will tell you something. I have talked with many, and I mean many, people who have hearing aids, and numerous times you have to ask them to repeat what they said. Talking is an element of hearing. If you have never had a hearing problem and needed a hearing aid, you are lucky. And Sid is 93 years old, so lay off the old fart. He is still cool.

You guys can make fun of Sid all you want. But I will tell you something. I have talked with many, and I mean many, people who have hearing aids, and numerous times you have to ask them to repeat what they said. Talking is an element of hearing. If you have never had a hearing problem and needed a hearing aid, you are lucky. And Sid is 93 years old, so lay off the old fart. He is still cool.

Doc, I'll definitely miss Sid when he's gone. He's the main reason I read the sports page growing up just to see what he had to say. Plus he loves the gophers, even if he's had trouble showing it at times.

I was surprised that he got Rebecca wrong though.

Doc, I'll definitely miss Sid when he's gone. He's the main reason I read the sports page growing up just to see what he had to say. Plus he loves the gophers, even if he's had trouble showing it at times.

Thank you, Tim. This is exactly what the pups of today do not have a clue about. And I mean, they don't have a clue.

No Sunday morning was complete unless I have read Sid's Sunday column while in college in the 1970's. He was king, "The Oracle".

No Sunday morning was complete unless I have read Sid's Sunday column while in college in the 1970's. He was king, "The Oracle".

Yep. Before the power of the interweb it was a Sunday morning ritual to read Sid.

Same for me. When I moved to Anchorage in the early 80's, I'd go to the library every week to catch up on
Sid's column. Back then, it was the best way to keep up on Minnesota sports.

Same for me. When I moved to Anchorage in the early 80's, I'd go to the library every week to catch up on
Sid's column. Back then, it was the best way to keep up on Minnesota sports.

When I lived in Chicago for 9 years, my family sent me Sid's columns. Only way I could keep up.

The good Doctor is right on with this statement. I wear hearing aids due to losing most of my hearing in Viet Nam and communicating with others doesn't always go as planned. What I think people say and what they actually say are sometimes way different.

Don't get me wrong. I hope I am alive and as functional as Sid is at his age. And I would never mock anyone that has a hearing loss. I also have some hearing loss due to being stupid. But.....

There comes a point where Sid probably should not be on the radio. If he can't communicate verbally and do it well maybe his radio days should be behind him. No shame in that. Do you want a blind guy doing play by play on the radio?

zman..." Do you want a blind guy doing play by play on the radio?"

you are really reaching to find reasons to put Sid out to pasture.

Top Bottom