GopherHole's J.B. Bauer reports that Sampson will likely be back

I will take GW's words for now. For the sake of my own sanity. GW has been judicious about reporting.

New Myron Tweet:

Reusse started his show @ noon by reading a statement he received from Maturi along the lines of "Ralph Sampson is still enrolled at the University of Minnesota and I expect him to be here and play next year."

I hope so, for Ralph's sake. To go undrafted (or a 2nd round pick w/ no guaranteed money as a best case scenario) in a year where there is likely going to be a lockout seems a poor decision.

Gold Vision, what one must realize, is that when it comes to any confrontational question, Maturi is like any other politician. They find ways to say, "I feel very strongly both ways."

Myron tweet just now:

"Another former AAU coach, DeWayne Jackson (Atlanta Celtics), says Sampson is "100 percent" coming back to school."

Myron tweet just now:

"Another former AAU coach, DeWayne Jackson (Atlanta Celtics), says Sampson is "100 percent" coming back to school."

Thanks for the news. Kudos to GW on good reporting. I can have my lunch with no worries now.

I am a little confused, how hard would it be for Sampson or the U to come out with a statement on whether he decided to stay in the draft or not. The decision has been made, there is no changing that decision.

Maturi's statement is a little vague for me.

The fact that Joel's statement is vague tells me something about it isn't cut and dried. Almost gets me thinking that there's some kind of cat & mouse going on between the staff and Ralph. Perhaps Ralph hasn't been completely up front with the staff or hasn't been cooperative through the whole process and they're ticked off, or vice versa?

I do find it odd that this late in the game (late afternoon) not a single reputable college basketball web site (ESPN, CBS, CNN, Sporting News) is reporting Ralph will return to Minnesota. They're all saying he's still in the draft, and they'd certainly update their stories if they heard otherwise.

The fact that Joel's statement is vague tells me something about it isn't cut and dried. Almost gets me thinking that there's some kind of cat & mouse going on between the staff and Ralph. Perhaps Ralph hasn't been completely up front with the staff or hasn't been cooperative through the whole process and they're ticked off, or vice versa?

Or just giving us fish a little more line before setting the hook?

(Fishing opener this weekend, is the reference.)

I do find it odd that this late in the game (late afternoon) not a single reputable college basketball web site (ESPN, CBS, CNN, Sporting News) is reporting Ralph will return to Minnesota. They're all saying he's still in the draft, and they'd certainly update their stories if they heard otherwise.

Give the masses a little time. They'll report it soon enough.

I don't see anything vague... perhaps it's just the fact that people use and comprehend the same language in different ways.. personally, I wouldn't say more than, "I expect Player A to be at School B this coming year" about anyone in any program in the nation. Things can change quickly.

What won't change is the decision made by Ralph with respect to the NBA draft, and I would expect you will hear something from the U in the near future. I look forward to a strong senior year from the young man.

PS - not sure those sources are any more reputable than certain folks in the local media and/or that post here.

I think we might over-estimate Ralph's importance a bit here. ESPN has him listed right along with someone named Charlie Westbrook from USD. I don't think rushing to edit the list/article for someone they didn't project to get drafted anyway is a hot priority. I could be wrong.

My bad, GW. I should have said "nationally reputable." No shot at you intended.

If you're as confident about this as you are about the medical redshirt thing, I trust your word and am confident Ralph will return.

Yeah, only in Minnesota does this type of stuff turn into a mini-drama like this. I mean, by midnight last night, something was official. I'm not sure why at 3:05 the following day, there would still be no confirmation either way, but it looks like it's pretty sure that he's coming back.

Yeah, only in Minnesota does this type of stuff turn into a mini-drama like this. I mean, by midnight last night, something was official. I'm not sure why at 3:05 the following day, there would still be no confirmation either way, but it looks like it's pretty sure that he's coming back.

That's the problem. No real data and lots of talk. A brutal combination. I am with Hodger on this one. Some bad communication between Ralph and staff.

As important as this is to us, my guess is that it's not a priority for Ralph to let us (or anyone else) know what he is doing. Whether we know now or in a couple of days really makes little or no difference. These guys are not driving their decisions based on what we think and want to know.

RS3

Is there really any such thing as "official confirmation". Even if he pulled his name out of the draft would it be a shock that if in July that Ralph signed an overseas contract? Or transfers?

I'm sick and tired of all the drama that surrounds the program, with very little to show for it.

The fact that Joels statement is vague tells me that it's a statement from Joel.

Never know though- it seems like someone is always unhappy with something over there these days.

Give the masses a little time. They'll report it soon enough.

I don't see anything vague... perhaps it's just the fact that people use and comprehend the same language in different ways.. personally, I wouldn't say more than, "I expect Player A to be at School B this coming year" about anyone in any program in the nation. Things can change quickly.

What won't change is the decision made by Ralph with respect to the NBA draft, and I would expect you will hear something from the U in the near future. I look forward to a strong senior year from the young man.

PS - not sure those sources are any more reputable than certain folks in the local media and/or that post here.

Nice work on getting this scoop this morning! The U of MN just issued the press release.

As important as this is to us, my guess is that it's not a priority for Ralph to let us (or anyone else) know what he is doing. Whether we know now or in a couple of days really makes little or no difference. These guys are not driving their decisions based on what we think and want to know.

Thank you, Voice of Reason. Got a feeling there probably has been some posturing and game playing involved by some folks, but, in the end, we'll be informed. Of course, that doesn't stop the folks eminently qualified to be athletic directors from opining on Maturi again. The guy gets hammered for talking too much and now he's criticized for not saying more and, God forbid, making folks wait. Seriously, Howie, you can get too bitchy about Maturi. The handling of this is no big deal.

Insider Response

On ESPN insider? Yes, he most certainly is listed as of 12:45 PM CST on Monday, May 9, 2011.

When I glanced at the insider sight after someone mentioned there was an official list I went to the site and didn't see him listed. I apologize for my error as he is still listed as entering the draft.

Top Bottom