GopherHole visits TCF Bank Stadium

The brick wall makes all the difference! Any idea which former Gopher players get locker displays?

Nadine -- excellent work...wish the Vikings weren't occupying a lot of my time...would've loved to join you.

Great pics!!! Kickoff can't come soon enough.

How Far Would You Say it is

From the end line of the endzone to the brick wall? Is it tighter in the corners? The reason I ask, when the added on to Memorial Stadium at Nebraska the Huge I beam extended beyond the stands on a sideline angle. I saw several players hit it, before it was padded. If it is tight, it could be a true home field advantage. Knowing exactly how to run a route into the corner, or to the post.

The brick wall makes all the difference! Any idea which former Gopher players get locker displays?

I can't say I know for sure, but in the locker rooms there were some banners out on the floor. I've linked them up below. They had pictures/numbers for Asad Abdul-Khaliq, Tony Dungy and Bud Grant. They could be going up on the walls somewhere else, but since they were on the locker room floor, I kind of assumed they'd be going on lockers.

Sorry the first one is so blurry, but that shows all of them. The second is clearer, showing just Dungy in the middle. It looked like these were all printed together on one big sheet. Maybe cut apart later?

awesome job gopherhole staff! two questions about the brick work

does anyone know if they will also be lining the large entryways onto the field in brick as well? hope so. to me that would be like the "cherry on top of an already delicious sundae"!

also, will they be "topping" off the brick work around the perimeter of the field?

any thoughts/knowledge that can be shared is appreciated. thanks!

Amazing!!!, One question?

The brick wall and the maroon panels that ring the middle of the stadium make all the difference in the world.
I never thought the stadium would be this great. The question I have is about a pic in the article about the stadium tour and pic.
There is a pic of 4 lighted cases that are right next to each other. Is this for the jug, the pig, the axe, and the bell.
Just wondering. Sept 12th cannot come soon enough.

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Walking out on the field must've been sweet. I would've been tempted to sneak a football with me, and throw some quick passes out there, run around a little.

Great pics. I think this is going to be great--one problem that I see (and is even more confirmed in the pics) is that the concourse crowding problem we had at the dome is not going to go away. Only having one concourse in the new stadium is going to turn out to be the one big mistake that was made. We had about 40K-50K at each game at the Dome with two concourses, and getting around was impossible. I don't see how one is going to make things better, even though it is much wider.

Awesome pics!

What are they going to do with the Bar is the premium seating area? Try to get their money back, or use it make Shirley Temples?

I don't think the concourses will be a problem. The tiny stairs and entrances plus the fact that the students had to enter all in one gate upstairs then come down one set of stairs to their seats made most of the congestion. A normal game at the dome had very little congestion, but the ones vs IA or WI were the problem. This stadium has 2x the width of normal concourses which will make a HUGE difference. The condiments for concessions also aren't lining the opposite wall, making them that much bigger. Having 2 concourses of X feet wide is worse than one concourse of 2 times X feet. The upper concourse may be used a little, as well.

Thanks for all the pictures! The brickwork looks great and all things considered I couldn't ask for a better stadium. Great classic looks while undeniably modern and up to date with amenities like a rockin' locker room, recruiting room, scoreboard, band area, sightlines of downtown, and SO much more. And all this for $288M!!!

Great pics. I think this is going to be great--one problem that I see (and is even more confirmed in the pics) is that the concourse crowding problem we had at the dome is not going to go away. Only having one concourse in the new stadium is going to turn out to be the one big mistake that was made. We had about 40K-50K at each game at the Dome with two concourses, and getting around was impossible. I don't see how one is going to make things better, even though it is much wider.

That's a great question, The concourse is about 50 feet wide, which is twice the size of the Metrodome concourse. There is only one concourse level, that both the upper and lower seats will share.

When you look at the numbers, it's about the same amount of concourse per person...however, without having beer, I'm guessing that will cut down on concourse activity drastically - that the Metrodome had.

Perhaps this is a better photo to show how wide the concourses are, it shows the width a little better. It is big!

Attachments

• 089.jpg
    089.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 69

A real media room to process pics?!?!? Sure beats working under the grandstands like we did in the Dome. Is there a field level or near field level work room for the photographers, or will it require an elevator ride up and down? We are spoiled at Camp Randall by having a workroom less than a minute from the field with no elevators with which to contend.

Looks like you guys did it right with the stadium and I am excited for the first roadie of the year.

A real media room to process pics?!?!? Sure beats working under the grandstands like we did in the Dome. Is there a field level or near field level work room for the photographers, or will it require an elevator ride up and down? We are spoiled at Camp Randall by having a workroom less than a minute from the field with no elevators with which to contend.

Looks like you guys did it right with the stadium and I am excited for the first roadie of the year.

Please - anyone correct me if I answer this incorrectly - but I believe a photographer asked if they would be in the media room, and they said no. They would have access to one of the smaller rooms on a lower level closer to the field. I even want to say it doesn't require an elevator ride...but I just heard that conversation in passing, and didn't take notes, as it didn't really effect me. Sorry for the wishy-washy answer, Myles.

Please - anyone correct me if I answer this incorrectly - but I believe a photographer asked if they would be in the media room, and they said no. They would have access to one of the smaller rooms on a lower level closer to the field. I even want to say it doesn't require an elevator ride...but I just heard that conversation in passing, and didn't take notes, as it didn't really effect me. Sorry for the wishy-washy answer, Myles.

Thanks Lady. I did meet you with Nate a few years back, right? I hope you're right. At PSU, AA, PU, Indiana and MSU, it is physically impossible to get upstairs at halftime, and get some content out and not miss minutes of play. CR, Iowa, IL (at least the old one), and the Dome there is/was near field level work rooms/areas. It makes a huge difference.

At OSU and the Dome it was/is, frankly, embarrassing where we had to work at or near field level. OSU puts us in a maintenance building complete with mowers, tractors, etc. The dome has us under the grandstands with literally 12-18 outlets.

That's a great question, The concourse is about 50 feet wide, which is twice the size of the Metrodome concourse. There is only one concourse level, that both the upper and lower seats will share.

When you look at the numbers, it's about the same amount of concourse per person...however, without having beer, I'm guessing that will cut down on concourse activity drastically - that the Metrodome had.

Perhaps this is a better photo to show how wide the concourses are, it shows the width a little better. It is big!

Having been to new stadiums with large concourses I can say it helps a whole lot in the game. There will always be a press of people especially after a game, but you get a lot more room to circumvent lines at concession stands. Lambeau, for instance, has a much better gameday experience after it widened its concourses and I don't think that was as drastic an increase. Generally people are only doing two things out there. Transiting and queuing up at a concession stand and if you can segregate the two groups better than the 'dome it will lead to much smoother traffic.

There's space for photogs in both postgame media rooms which are either connected to or right next to each locker room.

You're correct GL. Photographers will work out of a room (IIRC, it's the interview room) during the game, which is on the ground floor (read: field level). The room was outfit with work stations along the wall and jacks to access internet connection. The stadium it set up with WiFi, but they will be asking photographers to use hardwire access since their file sizes are often so large.

1. The photos on the floor of the locker room are going to go above the lockers at the corresponding number of the jersey. So one can see who has worn the number previously.
2. I believe they are going to add brick to all the tunnels/openings at field level by the look of one of the pictures....it appears they are prepping the floor at the large tunnel for the brick work to be done.
3. Concourses will not be a problem. Will they have a lot of people in them, of course. Will they be gridlock like the dome, absolutely not. For one, do you think the Xcel Energy Center is packed? These are the same architects. These are the same architects that have used their concourse width equations in countless other football stadiums. There probably isn't a more qualified firm when it comes to the concourse width.
The condiment locations had ALOT to do with the domes problems. Another problem with the dome was exiting through the revolving doors.

You're correct GL. Photographers will work out of a room (IIRC, it's the interview room) during the game, which is on the ground floor (read: field level). The room was outfit with work stations along the wall and jacks to access internet connection. The stadium it set up with WiFi, but they will be asking photographers to use hardwire access since their file sizes are often so large.

Thanks.

Great set of pictures GopherHole! Thanks. That player recruitment lounge looks waaaaay bigger than I would have guessed. As others have said... the brick wall adds a lot. The excitement among this "community" could probably be predicted but the stadium is nice enough to even make an impression on the fair weather fan masses. What better way to spend a Saturday afternoon/evening? It is going to be great.

Great set of pictures GopherHole! Thanks. That player recruitment lounge looks waaaaay bigger than I would have guessed. As others have said... the brick wall adds a lot. The excitement among this "community" could probably be predicted but the stadium is nice enough to even make an impression on the fair weather fan masses. What better way to spend a Saturday afternoon/evening? It is going to be great.

The recruitment room is HUGE - I asked what the capacity was, and they weren't sure. I'd say at least 100, if not more. I can't imagine that not blowing recruits away.

Out of all the places I've seen the pics posted, as well as feedback from my friends that went to rival schools, it's the consensus that people are blown away by it.

Top Bottom