GopherHole Staff: Where Are They Now?

DL65

Reaction score
Two-a-days will start in a few weeks, and while we're still in the off-season (except recruiting), are there plans for any Where Are They Now features?

Coach Kill had several former players in to meet the freshmen recruits and welcome them to the U. I don't know how many potential recruits visit this site, but it'd be good to hear about the successes that the former players have enjoyed after their college careers ended at the University of Minnesota as well as memories of their playing days.

Go Gophers!!

DL65, thanks for the post. Yes, we love doing these features and are always looking for contact information of former Gophers. We will continue to seek some out and appreciate you "nudging" us along!!

Thank You . . .

I failed to mention that I enjoy very much the features of Nadine, Chris Monter, et al and the reports provided on GopherHole by U of M Athletic Communications.

I may not post everyday, but GopherHole is the first site I visit each morning. I appreciate the info given by the GopherHole Staff and the many personalities that share their opinions.

Go Gophers!!

Where are they now, Candidate

My candidate goes way back to the 1970's and a game against Illinois. I think Tony Dungy and the back up were hurt and the Quarterbacking fell to a 5th year Senior. It was foggy in Champaign and he threw 12 passes and completed only 3. One for the winning TD. Gil Fash come on down.

A couple of my "lesser known" favorite Gophers have been: Craig Sauer and Parc Williams.

Obviously my favorites also include TC, Decker, Maroney, etc

My candidate goes way back to the 1970's and a game against Illinois. I think Tony Dungy and the back up were hurt and the Quarterbacking fell to a 5th year Senior. It was foggy in Champaign and he threw 12 passes and completed only 3. One for the winning TD. Gil Fash come on down.

I agree. November 19, 1973. The QB's are:

9 Dungy, Tony QB 6-0 182 Fr. Jackson, Mich.
18 Fash, Gil QB 6-4 199 Sr. Lockport, Ill.
12 Lawing, John QB 6-3 207 So. Lincolnton, N.C.
19 Smith, Roger QB 6-2 200 Fr. Brooklyn Center, Minn.
8 Thiele, Randy QB 6-1 194 Fr. Hastings, Minn.

All are hurt, except Fash. IllinoisHQ.com describes the game this way: "Illinois seldom loses when outgaining an opponent by 188 yards. But this doesn't come close to the 19-16 loss to Minnesota in 1973. Ruling at home, Illinois outdowned the Gophers 20-4, outrushed them 257-33 and outpassed them 183-50 ... yet fumbled the ball away six times and lost when a subpar QB, Illinoisan Gil Fash, helped Minnesota score twice in the last 4:24."

That's 440 yards to 83. Minnesota had only three plays over 5 yards, one being Fash's 29 yard TD pass to Dale Henrickson to win the game. Minnesota got over a third of their total yards on that one play. Illinois was on the Gopher 7 when time ran out.

See the MN Daily story, go down to page 18 in the PDF: MN DAILY 11-19-1973

My dad still talks about this game, almost 40 years later. Part of the lore is the Gopher QB's classic QB name: Gil Lawrence Fash

A few names for consideration:

Jim and Keith Fahnhorst
Geno Cappelletti (I believe he's still doing color/broadcasting work for the New England Patriots)
Sean Hoffman
Robert McNamara
Thomas Moe
Peter Najarian
Noel Jenke
Dan Nystrom
Mark Vonderhaar
Jeff Wright

Many of the listed were very successful after their playing days were completed.

Go Gophers!!

Jeff Wright
Go Gophers!!

Jeff is living in Phoenix working for "The Mining" and still pissing me off. When I found out he was taking a transfer to Phoenix, I was all over him to "baby sit" his tickets. I would pay for them and he could come into town anytime he wanted and take all four. I figured with his current seats, points, playing career, etc., that I would be in fine fettle, but he didn't want to deal with the hassle. I give him crap about it every time he comes back into town to see his beautiful granddaughter (not mine, but she's a cutie) and play golf. I think he's planning on coming back in August. Great guy, and I'm lucky to know him.

Jim and Keith Fahnhorst
Geno Cappelletti (I believe he's still doing color/broadcasting work for the New England Patriots)
Sean Hoffman
Robert McNamara
Thomas Moe
Peter Najarian
Noel Jenke
Dan Nystrom
Mark Vonderhaar
Jeff Wright

Many of the listed were very successful after their playing days were completed.

Go Gophers!!

Thanks for the suggestions DL65. There are some great suggestions in that list. We've actually reached out to a few of them and hope to interview them at some point. Obviously the greater challenge is obtaining contact information so if anyone can ever forward it on we're always appreciative.

As an FYI, we did do a Where Are They Now profile on Sean Hoffman (per your list above) a few years back. Here is that link:

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=514

See the MN Daily story, go down to page 18 in the PDF: MN DAILY 11-19-1973

Just a little off topic, but I didn't know the Daily had the archives in PDF form finally. I re-read the first issue that came out my freshman year 9-24-98, and there was a great article about Tyrone Carter in there. As a bonus, one could re-do the Daily Crossword just like I used to sitting in Physics lecture and almost every other class.

I don't think I have the heart to look up an issue from October of 2003 though.

Top Bottom