GopherHole chats with Harrison Barnes

The 1982 class was ranked #1 in the country. D Mitchel, C Holmes, M Hall, T Tucker, G Stallings (who later changed) and Leo Rautins.

I think I got those all correct.

wasn't Mychael Thompson the #1 recruit in the nation?

No, it was Darryl Mitchell out of West Palm Beach in 1978 that was the Gophers only #1 national recruit (by some recruiting services)

Mychal (at that time Michael)Thompson wasn't even the top recruit for the Gophers that year. It was Mark Olberding and Mark Landsberger who everyone was excited about .
IIRC, Mychal was the #4 scorer on his #1 ranked high school team. Two teammates got scholarships to Houston and Mychal, along with Osborne Lockhart, headed north.

What are the chances that Tubby hires his coach Jake Sullivan as a grad assistant since Ryan Saunders is leaving in an attempt to lock up Barnes. I know this happens quite a bit and Sullivan is a local kid who obviously has an interest in coaching. I know when Billy Donovan hired Mike Miller's brother as GA it helped lock up him.

What are the chances that Tubby hires his coach Jake Sullivan as a grad assistant since Ryan Saunders is leaving in an attempt to lock up Barnes. I know this happens quite a bit and Sullivan is a local kid who obviously has an interest in coaching. I know when Billy Donovan hired Mike Miller's brother as GA it helped lock up him.

I would be surprised if Tubby were to do something like that. In addition, I have heard that Sullivan has a pretty good thing going down in Iowa with his AAU program. I believe he has a very nice facility for the program.

What are the chances that Tubby hires his coach Jake Sullivan as a grad assistant

Sullivan probably can't afford the pay cut from elite AAU coach to a grad assistant.

I also don't think Sullivan will have a big say in where Harrison Barnes goes. Sounds Barnes' mom rules the roost (which is good). And, that is why the Gophers have a shot - from the sounds of it - Mrs. Barnes likes Mr. Smith and staff.

I was pretty surprised (and impressed for that matter :)) with how well spoken and rational Barnes is when talking about college. With a lot of kids, it's hard to know exactly where they are at. But Barnes has been extremely straightforward, or at least it feels like it.

I also like the fact that he did stick around the have kind of an "unofficial" meeting with Tubby and got a look at the facilities. That tells me he'll probably take an official visit at some point. In any case, it's pretty obvious the U is on his radar and he's going to give them a nice look.

And at this point, that's all we really need to know.

Top Bottom