Gopher Watch: The 2022 NFL Draft!

If Cine = Hamilton in eyes of Vikings and Hamilton would have been the pick at #12 than what the Vikings did was genius. I think traditional draft grades go out this draft because of the strength of this draft. I believe we got incredible value for the #12 pick because of the depth of top tier talent. If #10 - #40 players in draft have very little separation in the eyes of the Vikings than trading down to acquire two of these players made sense. Bottom line is we won't know until we see the product on the field.

If Cine = Hamilton in eyes of Vikings and Hamilton would have been the pick at #12 than what the Vikings did was genius. I think traditional draft grades go out this draft because of the strength of this draft. I believe we got incredible value for the #12 pick because of the depth of top tier talent. If #10 - #40 players in draft have very little separation in the eyes of the Vikings than trading down to acquire two of these players made sense. Bottom line is we won't know until we see the product on the field.
Spielman played that game often ... didn't work.

There's a very Minnesotan thing to want to get "more for less" and to some extent I think just avoid being disappointed by a busted high pick by picking more / lesser picks ... and yet we've already seen that doesn't work.

Last edited:

If this was the reasoning not sure I would call it genius but the move is understandable.

Personally, I would have preferred Hamilton at #12.

Yeah it seems pretty obvious that the Vikings front office felt that the number of high impact players in this draft fell somewhere between 34 and 43. I don't like swapping the second for the third as part of the deal but I get why they did it.

Yeah it really just depends on who they draft today and how they pan out. If Williams, Davis, or Hamilton turn out to be great, and Cine turns out to be good but not great, it'll be a bad trade.

But if Cine is as good or better than the players they could have drafted at 12, it was a good trade. Some of the experts think the gap between Hamilton and Cine is not large, and Cine is much faster.

The Vikings needed another safety next to Smith, and he can take over at SS for Smith long term when they move on from him in the next few years.

It is always a curious process. The projection v. production matrix always factors into who gets chosen where. The question on the Georgia guys is that "Are they good individually or did they look good because they were playing together?" That was one awesome college defense that had a perfect mix of guys so they all may have looked better as a unit than each part is individually. That said, I think Cine and the guys the Packers took are all really good values where they were drafted and will probably have decent pro careers.

PS--Hamilton reminds me a lot of Kam Chancellor, who was basically a fast LB lining up as a S. It all depends on how these guys are schemed.

With all the speed at WR in the NFL right now, I want nothing to do with a safety who runs a 4.7 forty AT HIS OWN PRO DAY (which is notoriously faster than the combine where Hamilton ran a 4.66). Cine was the leading tackler on one of the best college defenses of all time and runs in the 4.3's. Combine that with getting almost another 1st round pick and a 3rd rounder, I think it was a good deal.

It is always a curious process. The projection v. production matrix always factors into who gets chosen where. The question on the Georgia guys is that "Are they good individually or did they look good because they were playing together?" That was one awesome college defense that had a perfect mix of guys so they all may have looked better as a unit than each part is individually.

Great point. Five players from the same defense drafted in the first round. Could be a component of “the sum is greater than the parts” but I’m sure by their individual metrics (I didn’t look them up) they’re all pretty likely to be successful pros.

Its show time 6:00 PM CST tonight!

according to which "draft value chart" you go by, the Vikes traded down 20 picks in the 1st round, and in return, they received value equivalent to a 3rd-round or early 4th-round pick when you add it all up. (taking into account what the Vikes got and what they gave up).

that is not very much for moving down 20 picks in the 1st round.

Of course it was a bad trade. It was like trading a $100 bill for two $20's. They may get better than expected picks at the 32, 34, but they still traded away a lot of value.
Is it a bad trade if Cine becomes a HOF and williams playes 7 average years?

Assume Mafe hears his name pretty early on day 2 and yeah hopefully Faalele won't be far behind. Will be shocked if either is still on the board after today.
Faalele isn’t getting drafted today imo.

Great point. Five players from the same defense drafted in the first round. Could be a component of “the sum is greater than the parts” but I’m sure by their individual metrics (I didn’t look them up) they’re all pretty likely to be successful pros.
You can't teach 4.3 speed.

Surprised Boye falling with all the steam about him pre-draft. The dude from State Penn ahead of him is surprising.

Ed Marinaro. Sounds unhappy wearing the purple jacket.

Surprised Boye falling with all the steam about him pre-draft. The dude from State Penn ahead of him is surprising.
Is there a little PSU bias? Things will change if the Gophers win titles and keep putting players into the NFL.

Is there a little PSU bias? Things will change if the Gophers win titles and keep putting players into the NFL.
Agree. I think Minnesota is just unproven as a whole so far. Winfield, Bateman haven't had enough time to prove the program's ability to make pros. It will happen.

Vikings need to trade down with the Bears next …. gotta trade down with everyone…

Falling? He was an end of the 1st or 2nd round pick. He was taken 40th.

Falling? He was an end of the 1st or 2nd round pick. He was taken 40th.
Terrific. I meant certain other DEs being picked ahead of him. Good for him. I just didn't think that PSU guy would go ahead of him. No big deal.

Top Bottom