Gopher Volleyball 2022 Season

Great job Gophers!

I'm "all eyes and ears" as the most economical way to get the Longhorn Network for August 31

Last edited:

The competition in the power rankings.

#1 Nebraska defeated 3 unranked teams in 3 sweeps (9 sets), the best being Pepperdine.

#2 Texas impressed with two consecutive victories over #7 Ohio State in 7 sets. Minnesota plays Texas on Wednesday at Texas.

#3 Wisconsin lost to #16 Baylor in 5 sets and also swept TCU.

#4 Louisville beat 3 teams of lesser competition in 3 sweeps.

#5 Minnesota in 4 sets beat #16 Baylor (that beat Wisconsin) and then beat TCU in a sweep.

#6 Pitt lost to #25 San Diego in 5 sets and beat an unranked team.

#7 Ohio State, a good team, lost two games back-to-back to Texas in 7 sets.

#8 Washington lost 1 game and won 1 game against unranked Arkansas in back-to-back games.

#9 Georgia Tech beat #17 Illinois is a sweep and also beat a couple other unranked teams.

#10 BYU beat unranked Rider and Duke.

#11 Kentucky lost to unranked Marquette and a lesser team.

#12 UCLA (Big Ten imminent team) lost to unranked Utah State in 5 long sets and then beat an unranked team.

#13 Purdue beat 3 unranked teams, the best one being Tennessee.

#14 Stanford swept lesser teams Lipscomb and Tennessee State. Minnesota plays Stanford on September 10.

#15 Florida beat 3 lesser teams. Minnesota plays Florida on Sun Sept 4 at home (typo correction).

#16 Baylor lost to #5 Minnesota and beat #3 Wisconsin.

#17 Illinois was swept by Georgia Tech.

#19 Oregon beat unranked Long Beach State in 5 sets. Minnesota plays Oregon on Sept 9.

Where will Minnesota be in the power rankings this next week and then the couple weeks after?

Last edited:

#1 Nebraska defeated 3 unranked teams in 3 sweeps (9 sets), the best being Pepperdine.

#2 Texas impressed with two consecutive victories over #7 Ohio State in 7 sets. Minnesota plays Texas on Wednesday at Texas.

#5 Minnesota in 4 sets beat #16 Baylor (that beat Wisconsin) and then beat TCU in a sweep.

#8 Washington lost 1 game and won 1 game against unranked Arkansas in back-to-back games.

#9 Georgia Tech beat #17 Illinois is a sweep and also beat a couple other unranked teams.

#12 UCLA (Big Ten imminent team) lost to unranked Utah State in 5 long sets and then beat an unranked team.

#14 Stanford swept lesser teams Lipscomb and Tennessee State. Minnesota plays Stanford on September 10.

#15 Florida beat 3 lesser teams. Minnesota plays Florida on Friday at home.

#19 Oregon beat unranked Long Beach State in 5 sets. Minnesota plays Oregon on Sept 9.

Where will Minnesota be in the power rankings this next week and then the couple weeks after?

#5 Gophers certainly had the best weekend of teams ranked #3 through 8!

#15 Florida beat 3 lesser teams. Minnesota plays Florida on Friday at home.

Correction: Gophers play Florida on Sunday, Sept. 4, at home.

2022 NCAA Tournament [Probably Starting Early December]

Regional play will be hosted by the top 16 national seeds in the tournament. Dates for regional competition have yet to be released.

The tournament will consist of four brackets of 16 teams each. The committee will seed the top 16 teams on a national basis. The remaining 48 teams will be placed in the bracket following bracketing policies approved by the NCAA Division I Competition Oversight Committee.

The 16 first-and second-round winners will feed into four regions. When pairing teams, the committee will avoid conference matchups in the first and second rounds of the championship.

The 2022 NCAA women's volleyball championship will take place in Omaha, Nebraska, at the CHI Health Center Omaha. The national semifinal will take place on Dec. 15, and the national championship match will follow on Dec. 17.

Tournament MVP:
-Taylor Landfair

All Tournament Team:
-Jenna Wenaas
-Melani Shaffmaster (Best Setter)
-Carter Booth (Best Defender)

My Stats Notes:
Taylor Landfair had 30 kills, 4 blocks, 14 digs, 1 ace, 2 assists.

Jenna Wenaas had 24 kills, 5 blocks, 8 digs, 1 ace.

Melani Shaffmaster had 74 assists, 12 digs, 6 blocks, 8 kills.

Carter Booth had 13 blocks, 13 kills.

Ellie Huseman had 10 kills, 6 blocks, 1 dig, 1 ace.

CC McGraw had 6 assists, 18 digs, 2 aces.

Rachel Kilkelly had 5 assists, 13 digs, 4 aces.

Julia Hanson had 7 kills, 2 blocks, 1 dig.

Plus Miranda Wucherer (2 aces), Lauren Crowl (2 kills and 2 blocks), Naya Gros, and Elise McGhie.

I hope I added that right.

Last edited:

People with far more volleyball knowledge than me were saying after the spring scrimmages that Carter Booth needed lots of work, some suggesting that maybe she should be red-shirted. It's always dangerous to make conclusions from just two opening-season matches, but she seems to be a ready-for-prime-time player already. As for Ellie Husemann, the faith that McCutcheon showed he had in her seems to have been justified. Our middles situation seems much improved, and that's without Arica Davis and with Naya Gros playing only a few points. This is so encouraging.

Baylor's win over Wisconsin tells me that the Gophers are already a very, very good team, and if Mckenna gets in there soon, it could be a great team. The depth, as many predicted, is amazing. This is going to be such an exciting season!

Last edited:

Finally have a height advantage with Booth

Freshman middle blocker 6' 7" Carter Booth

"HONORS & AWARDS:
Big Ten/Big 12 Challenge All-Tournament Team -- Best Defender Award (Aug. 27, 2022)

HIGH SCHOOL/CLUB:
A 6-foot-7 middle blocker out of Denver, Colo. (Cherry Creek H.S./Colorado Juniors Volleyball Club), Carter Booth comes to Minnesota as a two-time Under Armour All-American selection and the No. 1 2022 recruit in Colorado, according to multiple recruiting outlets • 2021 Colorado Gatorade Player of the Year • An all-conference selection as a junior season, Booth also played club for Colorado Juniors Club Volleyball and was an alternate for the United States' FIVB Women's Under-20 World Championship team....

PERSONAL:
The daughter of Keisha and Calvin Booth, she has two brothers, Carey and Clark, and a sister, Camble • Her father, Calvin, played college basketball at Penn State and then in the NBA for 10 seasons...."

Last edited:

Looking to the Texas showdown on Wednesday, OH Logan Eggleston is a force -- possibly the best player in college volleyball.

Eggleston had 33 kills, 5 aces, 7 blocks, and 14 digs in the two games against #7 Ohio State (7 sets).

2021: VolleyballMag.com National Player of the Year... AVCA First Team All-American... Big 12 Conference Player of the Year...

2020: AVCA First Team All-American… Big 12 Conference Player of the Year…

2018: Big 12 Freshman of the Year...

Big Ten Player of the Year

2021: Stephanie Samedy, Minnesota

2020: Stephanie Samedy, Minnesota

2019: Dana Rettke, Wisconsin

2018: Samantha Seliger-Swenson, Minnesota

2017: Simone Lee, Penn State

2016: Sarah Wilhite, Minnesota (also National Player of the Year)

2015: Daly Santana, Minnesota

5 of the last 7 years

1661721574372.png

Last edited:

Marcus Fuller:

Taylor Landfair was so excited for the Gophers volleyball season home opener last season vs. No. 1 Texas, she stood next to the locker room door listening to the crowd buzzing before the match at Maturi Pavilion.

Landfair, a top-ranked high school recruit, had made her college volleyball debut the previous season with no fans due to COVID-19 restrictions. She couldn't wait to experience the home atmosphere in her second year.

But her first match in front of Gophers fans, she suffered an abdominal injury that eventually forced her to miss most of the 2021 season.

A year later, Landfair faces Texas as the No. 1 team again Wednesday night in Austin, as a fully recovered recovered 6-5 Gophers redshirt sophomore outside hitter. She resembles the budding star she was to start her career.

"I'm really excited to be back at 100 percent," Landfair said. "When I wasn't at full strength, it was really hard for me. I took that time to be the best teammate I could possibly be. Now just being back I'm taking advantage of all of it."

Marcus Fuller:

Interesting article well written. Several story devopments in that piece.

"I think we'll certainly lean on Taylor, but I think one of the opportunities that this current iteration of our team presents is a lot of balance," McCutcheon said. "It feels like there's a lot of different ways that we can attack teams."

Another top matchup that almost no one will be able to watch. F'ing BS.

Only way to get Longhorn Network is to pay for a month of Sling plus an extra sports package. Or if you get it through your cable/sat provider. Like Bally's North. Garbage

Another top matchup that almost no one will be able to watch. F'ing BS.

Only way to get Longhorn Network is to pay for a month of Sling plus an extra sports package. Or if you get it through your cable/sat provider. Like Bally's North. Garbage

I bought a one month ESPN + subscription, and it looks like I willl be able to stream the Texas game. I went to the link and it says the game has not started yet.

I also read a comment at Volleyball talk about it being on ESPN streaming.

I COULD BE WRONG. I am reporting what I perceived. I am eager yo see it too

I bought a one month ESPN + subscription, and it looks like I willl be able to stream the Texas game. I went to the link and it says the game has not started yet.

I'll only turn on the game if they are winning, that's just me.

I’m sorry to tell you my friend, an ESPN+ subscription will not get you access to this game. The ESPN app will ask you to sign in with your cable TV account (or Sling), if you try to stream it, and unless that account has LHN, then it will block you. :(

Another Streaming service is Vidgo which I just signed up for at $59.99 a month. Yes IT DOES HAVE THE LONGHORN NETWORK AVAILABLE ON IT. I could not find a Free Trial, but maybe somebody does have a code.

I stream all the time anyway so I am okay paying this amount of money. This provider has the largest Sports Package included in it's price. My fuboTV subscription right now is on Pause.

Vidgo does include two local channels - ABC and FOX, if anybody was interested in that.

Another Streaming service is Vidgo which I just signed up for at $59.99 a month. Yes IT DOES HAVE THE LONGHORN NETWORK AVAILABLE ON IT. I could not find a Free Trial, but maybe somebody does have a code.

I stream all the time anyway so I am okay paying this amount of money. This provider has the largest Sports Package included in it's price. My fuboTV subscription right now is on Pause.

Vidgo does include two local channels - ABC and FOX, if anybody was interested in that.
FWIW - Have ATT TV NOW streaming via a Samsung TV. Using the ESPN app, I can currently watch the Longhorn Network (an old TX-OK football game started at 4p). Maybe something will change once the volleyball game starts, but will keep fingers crossed.

Last edited:

DISH Satellite has the Longhorn Network. Think it is channel 407 on 1 or more of their plans.

ESPN3 is showing the MN vs TX match according to what I find. I plan to stream it to my TV or cast it.

First set, Gophers fell behind quickly, Gophers caught up, but Texas pulled away at the end.

1661992351789.png

The score does not show how bad they were in that first set. Clean up some of those errors and that first set is ours, but I had a feeling that this was how it was most likely gonna play out.

First set, Gophers fell behind quickly, Gophers caught up, but Texas pulled away at the end.

View attachment 20081
The only way you have nine assists and win a set is if the opponent is giving away points and I don't think Texas is giving away points easily. I understand scheduling tough non-conference games, but when it doesn't go as planned it can be a morale breaker.

We were following MN-TX by stats. At 13-15 in set 2 the transmssionn froze and never came back. Anyone else have that problem?

Top Bottom