Gopher Volleyball 2022 Season

For those of you who MIGHT have inside information, is our Volunteer Assistant Coach (married to Lauren GIbbemeyer) just a one season agreement for this coaching staff? I sure hope not. This is an entirely different team at the net with his involvement in the development of our middles.

Would like to see Gros and Booth start.

Husemann I'm sure is a great leader, but she wasn't even a scholarship player, and it shows in her lower athleticism.

Also excited to see what Davis can do, but might have to wait until next season and take a defacto redshirt this year like Landfair did last year.
I just want to see Hugh continue to be as flexible in game changes as he has been this season, when things are not going so well for an individual player. You have to admit, this is something he just RARELY has done in the past. Hugh has been back and forth with Crowl and Hanson and last night he brought in Gros instead of Booth. I am sure the decision who plays and who doesn't is definitely based on our opponents.

Whoever is healthy out of the four middles and can perform for a given night, I say heck ya. Seriously, I do not ever recall this option for a Gopher team before. It is amazing how much a STRONG MIDDLE GAME plays in a match and the team with that success usually prevails. How many times have we as Gopher fans admired the middles from our Big Ten competitors like Penn State, Nebraska and WIsconsin and wished the same for us? Well, it is finely here for us to enjoy.

I too would like to see a healthy Davis on the court, at some point this season. I have to keep reminding myself it is a long season ahead and in no way do I want us to "burn out" early. I think the more players involved during the season, it will be a more definite plus for us during the post season.

I just want to see Hugh continue to be as flexible in game changes as he has been this season, when things are not going so well for an individual player. You have to admit, this is something he just RARELY has done in the past. Hugh has been back and forth with Crowl and Hanson and last night he brought in Gros instead of Booth. I am sure the decision who plays and who doesn't is definitely based on our opponents.

Whoever is healthy out of the four middles and can perform for a given night, I say heck ya. Seriously, I do not ever recall this option for a Gopher team before. It is amazing how much a STRONG MIDDLE GAME plays in a match and the team with that success usually prevails. How many times have we as Gopher fans admired the middles from our Big Ten competitors like Penn State, Nebraska and WIsconsin and wished the same for us? Well, it is finely here for us to enjoy.

I too would like to see a healthy Davis on the court, at some point this season. I have to keep reminding myself it is a long season ahead and in no way do I want us to "burn out" early. I think the more players involved during the season, it will be a more definite plus for us during the post season.
The Tapp twins and Molly Lohman gave the Gophers 3 very good options in the middle.

For those of you who MIGHT have inside information, is our Volunteer Assistant Coach (married to Lauren GIbbemeyer) just a one season agreement for this coaching staff? I sure hope not. This is an entirely different team at the net with his involvement in the development of our middles.

I have no idea if Mendes will be here beyond this season; but he's bringing some in game coaching of the middles that we haven't seen before.

Here's some highlights from his playing days (attack, block and serve):

What were the black t-shirts referring to. Stand with Rachel. A few of the staff had them on.

Great win and great match. There were some bumps in the road but that is what you expect early in the season. They cut their service errors almost in half since Texas! It is great to have depth and people that can come in and give a spark to the team when someone is struggling. I love watching C.C. make almost impossible digs. I hope she doesn't get hurt. In the Texas game, I saw players cut in front of C.C. If C.C. can reach a ball, let her play it. Shaffmaster is growing on me. She is not as accurate, precise, and smooth as SSS, but few setters are. However, she also can block, spike, and serve great, which are important contributions. She made a fantastic pancake dig that you do not expect from a tall player. Furthermore, she is calm and doesn't panic as much as some players. Hugh has some interesting dilemmas figuring out who is hot and who is not, and who needs to go in to spark the team. They are all capable of outstanding play. Go Gophers!

My point on our Middle Game...... if Davis is also healthy and gets some playing time and can perform up to her Ohio State stats that she brought with her to Minnesota, we could have 4 middles that we can count on to score for us during a game. Sure we have had outstanding middles in the past and I am not denying that. I just have not seen this kind of depth before that can contribute to this team both offensively and defensively. We are talking about 4 middles this season whom Hugh can sub in anytime. In the past, not all of our middles on the team had a strong game in both offense and defense.

Last edited:

My point on our Middle Game...... if Davis is also healthy and gets some playing time and can perform up to her Ohio State stats that she brought with her to Minnesota, we could have 4 middles that we can count on to score for us during a game. Sure we have had outstaanding middles in the past and I am not denying that. I just have not seen this kind of depth before that can contribute to this team both offensively and defensively. We are talking about 4 middles this season whom Hugh can sub in anytime. In the past, not all of our middles on the team had a strong game in both offense and defense.
OK

First, I have a long and clear record on Civil Rights including commentaries and contributing to the cause -- before it was the thing to do too. There is no tolerance for that in a nation dedicated to "ALL created equal." And lets look at the facts.

Innocent women of BYU Women's basketball having nothing to do with this have retaliated against without any due process and did nothing wrong -- and the investigation now shows a very different story.

The South Carolina Women's Basketball coach Dawn Staley retaliated against the bystanders BYU Women's Basketball by cancelling two women's basketball games with BYU over alleged "racial incident" highly publicized that spread across the internet without any due process and alleged to be fabricated by the activist running for office grandmother who was not even at the game. BYU women's basketball was attacked in a retaliation defamitory act. And then out cam all the articles blasting BYU without any due process.

I was at the game last Sunday and a women in the row in front of me pointed to those black t-shirts said, "The women's basketball coach of South Carolina cancelled two games with BYU because of that," and pointed to those black t-shirts that said "I stand with Rachel" the accuser now put into doubt. The other side I strongly agree with said stop racism. Innocent people also have human rights.

Innocent women bystanders like like BYU Women's Basketball Head Coach coach Amber Whiting, team leading scorer Shaylee Gonzales who now will not get to play the defending champ South Carolina, and Women's Basketball Director of Operations Natalie Lainhart. Retaliated against and did nothing wrong.

Last edited:

First, I have a long and clear record on Civil Rights including commentaries and contributing to the cause -- before it was the thing to do too. There is no tolerance for that in a nation dedicated to "ALL created equal." And lets look at the facts.

Innocent women of BYU Women's basketball having nothing to do with this have retaliated against without any due process and did nothing wrong -- and the investigation now shows a very different story.

Read this please (and there are other news stories reporting similar too). Police investigation tells a different story you can Google yourself:

Texas yesterday beat swept Stanford 25-18, 25-18, 25-20. I assume Texas will be #1 the whole season. So far Texas beat a #7 twice in 7 sets, a #4 in 4 sets, and now a "smash" of #12 Stanford.

I wouldn't count out the Gophers in the post-season. Minnesota had enough game against Texas in the 2nd set and into the 3rd. That loud crowd was such a overpowering factor. Texas deserves #1 but no team is unbeatable.

Texas yesterday beat swept Stanford 25-18, 25-18, 25-20. I assume Texas will be #1 the whole season. So far Texas beat a #7 twice in 7 sets, a #4 in 4 sets, and now a "smash" of #12 Stanford.

I wouldn't count out the Gophers in the post-season. Minnesota had enough game against Texas in the 2nd set and into the 3rd. That loud crowd was such a overpowering factor. Texas deserves #1 but no team is unbeatable.

Texas has to schedule a tough non-conference because their conference is so weak. The only team that really challenged them was Baylor and now they look like they're on the decline even though they did just beat Wisconsin. Kansas is starting to pick up steam, but nowhere near Texas's level. Once they move into the SEC then they'll be in a "tougher" conference.

The black t-shirts I saw said:
The black t-shirts I saw said: Stop Racism.
One side said "I stand with Rachel." The other side said "Stop Racism" that I agree with and have been doing my part for. I also will stand up for the rights of innocent to not be quickly attacked by a group smear. People have a right to due process and especially when innocent. Those women basketball players had nothing to do with it and wham taken down. Yes, some of us will stand up for ALL rights.

What were the black t-shirts referring to. Stand with Rachel. A few of the staff had them on.
It was a racist incident that happened at BYU last week I believe. Duke player (the eponymous Rachel) alleges that she was called the N word by someone in BYU student section. Created a whole firestorm.

This upcoming Diet Coke Classic is gonna be a good one. A ranked Pepperdine team and with Wash St receiving votes. When was the last time the DCC was this competitive?

Come for some volleyball talk and stick around for BYU alleged racism and how its unfair to the basketball team (who has no right to play anyone, regardless of why the game was cancelled)

Curious if anyone can explain the purpose of Wenaas throwing the ball 800ft in the air while serving? Her serve seems effective and I've seen others do this but her height while tossing is insane. Maybe it just looked that way on TV as I was unable to attend.

A letter to the editor I sent to the Minnesota Daily:

When I click on "Sports" on the Daily's website, these are the articles that come up on page 1:

Gophers football annihilates Aggies 38-0 in season-opener​
Twin Cities Pro Am embodies Minnesota's basketball culture​
Fresh faces for Gophers men's hockey​
Forward Isaiah Ihnen suffers second season-ending knee injuyr​
Payton Willis signs with Hapoel Gilboa Galil​
PJ Fleck, players speak at Big Ten Media Days​
2023 Propsect Kadyn Betts reclassifies, joins Gopher basketball​
Gable Steveson wins Big Ten Male Athlete of the Year​
2 from Gophers football on Preseason Awards Watch Lists​
3 potential 2022 breakout players for Gophers football​

These articles, from the bottom-up, were dated July 24, 2022, through September 2, 2022.

Do you see a pattern here? Every single one of these articles was about men's sports, and every one of them but one was about a men's revenue sport. The Daily clearly serves to perpetuate the status quo, if not the revenue arm of the Athletics Department -- even more so than the Department itself.

The University of Minnesota volleyball team is ranked #3 in the country, has already played three top-15-ranked teams, including #1 Texas, and was ranked #4 and #5 in the previous two rankings. But it's as if the team doesn't exist in the Daily's mind. If I do a search for "volleyball" on the Daily's website, the latest article I get is from last December, i.e., the 2021 season.

Sheesh!

Yours,

Curious if anyone can explain the purpose of Wenaas throwing the ball 800ft in the air while serving? Her serve seems effective and I've seen others do this but her height while tossing is insane. Maybe it just looked that way on TV as I was unable to attend.
With those kinds of serves it's all about timing. If she hits it just right the ball will almost immediately start to drop after crossing the net.

Gophers have always had a strong line of middles dating back to Lauren Gibbemeyer. Lauren Gibbemeyer➡️Tori Dixon➡️Tapp Twins/Lohman➡️Taylor Morgan➡️Pittman. Only time will tell if Booth or anyone else can live up to these players
You missed one

Top Bottom