Gopher Volleyball 2021-Fall Season

Ugh. Up 2-1 against Penn State, but hitting so poorly. Wenaas .129, Miyabe .120, Samedy .196. Some bad unforced errors in set 3 too. Hard to see them not losing this in 5 if the offense doesn't terminate better.

Never had a doubt they wouldn't win! :D

Last edited:

So… do the Gophers get a top-8 seed? Any early guesses on what the seed will be?

A 12th seed. Assuming they get through the first two matches at home, will likely have to go to Madison and play Baylor and then Wisconsin to advance further (but at least it is close enough for some gopher fans to attend). Will play South Dakota in the opening round this Friday and the winner of Stanford and Iowa State on Saturday

Last edited:

Looking forward to Friday night:

The Coyotes, the Summit League tournament champions for the third time in four seasons, are headed to the Minneapolis region where they will face Minnesota in a first round match on Friday evening at 7 p.m.

South Dakota, coming off a three-set sweep over Omaha in the Summit League title match, will take a 20-9 record into the opening round contest.

"We are really excited for this draw!" coach Leanne Williamson said. "There is some familiarity with that program and we have a lot of respect for that coaching staff."

Minnesota, the No. 12 national seed, has an overall record of 20-8 and went 15-5 during Big Ten Conference play. The Gophers posted four-set wins over Penn State and Maryland to close the regular season.

South Dakota is led by eighth-year head coach Leanne Williamson (163-75), who also spent five seasons as an assistant under then Coyotes head coach Matt Houk. Houk is currently an assistant coach at Minnesota on Hugh McCutcheon's staff.

"We are so excited that we are at this point and will be able to continue on with our season," said Williamson.

This will be the first-meeting ever between South Dakota and Minnesota, though the teams have played several times during the spring offseason schedules that typically follow a normal fall season

Stanford is a shell of the 2018/2019 juggernaut with Plummer and co.

I know we've had bad mojo against that team, but this should be a good opportunity to exercise some past demons.

Having to go to Madison and likely face Baylor and then Wisc, means again we'd most likely need a 2019 set-up: get past Baylor and then face a UCLA team that delivers Wisc a shocking upset, like Louisville did to Texas, and then beat them as they would be out of gas.

Stanford is a shell of the 2018/2019 juggernaut with Plummer and co.

I know we've had bad mojo against that team, but this should be a good opportunity to exercise some past demons.

For those Gopher fans upset about the current trend in Gopher volleyball performance: just consider Stanford’s ugly downward slide and then consider yourselves lucky fans. That’s my mental practice to put myself in a positive frame-of-mind

Yep.

We basically has to hope that UCLA has its Super Bowl in Madison, and knocks the Badgers out, like Louisville did to Texas for us in 2019.

Yep.

We basically has to hope that UCLA has its Super Bowl in Madison, and knocks the Badgers out, like Louisville did to Texas for us in 2019.
Is UCLA that good? I haven't followed them.

View attachment 15688

Possibly national player of the year too? Let's hope the Gophers don't have to make the Final Four for that to happen.
I'd like to think so considering how she's carried them over the past two seasons, but I don't think she'll get due to the team's overall record.

A sweep with CC McGraw not on the bench and replaced by Kilkelly and Miyabe sporting a knee brace. Miyabe left the court for the locker room late in the third set; but returned to the lineup. Lot of unknowns for tomorrows match with Stanford which advanced by defeating Iowa State 3-1

Last edited:

A sweep with CC McGraw not on the bench and replaced by Kilkelly and Miyabe sporting a knee brace. Miyabe left the court for the locker room late in the third set; but returned to the lineup. Lot of unknowns for tomorrows match with Stanford which advanced by defeating Iowa State 3-2

Stanford won 3-1.

Top Bottom