Gopher Volleyball 2019

Not worried about either team. We soundly beat Florida after being dejected in Austin.

Why do you want C Florida, out of curiosity? Easier for Gophers to beat? I suppose beating Florida St and then Florida would be like their Super Bowl. But it's not like they'd have to play the Gophers right after that, they'd get some time to regroup.
Just preferring the underdog! I think the Gophers beat either.
Florida is a bit underwhelming to me so would like to see some new blood in the Sweet 16!

So for folks in the VB know, what realistically are the Gophers' chances? With Kylie back setting & defending, can they go way deep or even win it all? Or a couple of wins and then home again?

Ugh Texas rallies to win in 5. Now they get Louisville who upset Western KY.

There was a little girl,
Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
When she was good,
She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

-- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

When the Gophers receive serve well, they are very, very good. When they receive serve poorly, they are horrid. They showed both tonight in blowing out Fairfield. A mere four hitting errors in going .434 (40 for 83) to -.038 for Fairfield (22 for 106, with 26 errors). The horrid part was six receiving errors.

Last edited:

Texas almost losing to UCSB makes me a bit nervous for tonight. You just don't know which serving/receiving/passing Gophers team will show up.

Blocking, setting, hitting is a strength, when they get the ball decently to the setter.

Texas almost losing to UCSB makes me a bit nervous for tonight. You just don't know which serving/receiving/passing Gophers team will show up.

Blocking, setting, hitting is a strength, when they get the ball decently to the setter.
Didn’t make the match, but from what Twitter shows, looks like both the good and bad team showed tonite. Gophers will be down 2-1 momentarily. Will the good Gophers prevail in 5 like Texas did? Or will there be echoes of last year?

Alright, I might need to change my undergarments after that 4th set.

Let's play a 5th!

Their blocking was the difference in that 5th set.
Gophers found a way to win, when they really didn't look like they had any business doing that.

Crazy. In the first set the Gophers took control of the net and that was that. Then crazy broke out. In the second set it looked like Samedy was so frustrated by the Blue Jays digging that she tried to drive the ball THROUGH the blockers. Miyabe came in and provided a spark; although we really needed a fire.

Anyway, the top two seeds in the Regional had to go five sets to advance. It should be a wild weekend in Austin.

#6 Pittsburgh is eliminated by Cincinnati. Jordan Thompson had a big night.

University of Cincinnati volleyball posted its biggest win in program history Saturday night as it took down No. 6 seed and No. 2 ranked Pitt in a competitive five sets.

UC advances to NCAA Regionals for the first time in program history after the historic Second Round victory. After losing the first set 26-24, UC tied the match at one with a 25-21 set two win. Pitt took set three 25-16 before UC once again tied it up after a 25-21 set four. Set five was won 15-13.

// NOTES
Jordan Thompson led the way with 27 kills and had six digs

Three observations: The Gophers had their usual problems in receiving serve that the stats often don't accurately reflect. Even if it's not a receiving error, they end up way too often being out of system when receiving serve. In part, that's why Creighton had 191 attempted kills to the Gophers 163. Second, Creighton's libero, Brittany Witt, was outstanding, making dig after dig on kills she had no right to return. Third, the Gophers showed incredible heart in coming back at the end of the fourth set. They simply refused to lose. Got to appreciate that. And a sidenote: Florida came oh-so-close to hosting our regional.

Last edited:

Why would Florida have gotten to host?? We're seed #7 and they're #10. If Texas lost, why wouldn't we have gotten to host it?

Three observations: The Gophers had their usual problems in receiving serve that the stats often don't accurately reflect. Even if it's not a receiving error, they end up way too often being out of system when receiving serve. In part, that's why Creighton had 191 attempted kills to the Gophers 163. Second, Creighton's libero, Brittany Witt, was outstanding, making dig after dig on kills she had no right to return. Third, the Gophers showed incredible heart in coming back at the end of the fourth set. They simply refused to lose. Got to appreciate that. And a sidenote: Florida came oh-so-close to hosting our regional.

Agreed on these. Witt was absolutely amazing. We didn't have the same on the other side. So many of our first passes were not precise.

What I saw last night seemed more of an emotional letdown than anything, though. Sometimes winning big in that first set isn't a good thing. The Gophers seemed to think they could just coast thereafter, and by the time they woke up, they were nervous with backs to the wall. The fourth set win was incredibly gutsy, and carried momentum into #5, but Creighton seemed the crisper and, perhaps, better organized team most of the night.

Can anyone explain the lineup card issue to start the 5th set? Gophers were gifted a point. Was hard to follow while at the match

Can anyone explain the lineup card issue to start the 5th set? Gophers were gifted a point. Was hard to follow while at the match
So near as I could tell, the lineup on the court did not match the lineup on the sheet turned into the down referee. I noticed what appeared to be a rather intense exchange between the coach and one of her assistants. Then, she made a change on the sheet and handed it back to the referee.

Gophers were not gifted a point though. Once it was straightened out, play began at 0-0.

Gophers were not gifted a point though. Once it was straightened out, play began at 0-0.

It wasn't on the BTN scoreboard (if you weren't at the game) when Miller served the first actual serve, but Gophers did get a point.

From box score:
1Point awarded by official to Minnesota.

UpandUnder43, Gopher68, and Waffle are absolutely right. The Gophers were given a point there. My bad!

Crazy. You simply don’t see those things happen at this level.

The Sweet Sixteen has three Pac-12 teams, three SEC teams, and five Big Ten teams, all of them seeded except for Utah. Only two same-conference teams, Utah and Stanford, face each other in the regional semis.

Last edited:

UpandUnder43, Gopher68, and Waffle are absolutely right. The Gophers were given a point there. My bad!

I don't know why the point was awarded; but presumably it was for a lineup mistake. Before the set there were conversations between the down ref and Creighton and then Hugh. The down ref was reviewing the lineup sheet-I assume. I actually, didn't notice the score until the challenge at 2-0 Gophers and then everyone was wondering where the first point came from.

It wasn't on the BTN scoreboard (if you weren't at the game) when Miller served the first actual serve, but Gophers did get a point.

From box score:
1Point awarded by official to Minnesota.

I saw that the one point for MN was on the Pav scoreboard before play actually began in the set, but there was no announcement on the public address of its being awarded.

Perhaps the delay was for resubmitting the lineup? Besides the ref's discussion with the coaches, I remember a conversation which did not look entirely amicable between a Gopher staffer and a Creighton staffer when one of the Bluejays emerged from the Gopher locker room between sets.

From the Daily:
A delay of game cost Creighton the first point of the fifth, and the Gophers were able to take advantage.

I don't know why the point was awarded; but presumably it was for a lineup mistake. Before the set there were conversations between the down ref and Creighton and then Hugh. The down ref was reviewing the lineup sheet-I assume. I actually, didn't notice the score until the challenge at 2-0 Gophers and then everyone was wondering where the first point came from.
So it was pointed argument?

Top Bottom