Gopher Volleyball 2019

Gophs have lost tough, closes matches to Wisconsin and Nebraska, at home. Will be interesting to see what happens at Penn St.

But I'm pretty sold on the idea that we're not in the top tier of teams, this year. Next tier down, ranked somewhere 10-20 or so. We will host the first round, and win it. Then we'll be off to somewhere else for the 2nd round, and will lose.
Before this weekend, I would have agreed with you 100%. Now I'm not so sure. Miller at setter makes such a difference that I'm no longer convinced that given a favorable draw, the Gophers can't compete with those top-tier teams. Next week at Penn State could be very revealing.

Well, wasn’t she playing for Neb?? Granted, we played really well in sets 3 & 4. But we didn’t in sets 1, 2, & 5.

Well, wasn’t she playing for Neb?? Granted, we played really well in sets 3 & 4. But we didn’t in sets 1, 2, & 5.
Indeed she did play against Nebraska, but that was, after all, her first match back. And while given the difference in the level of the opponent, so it's hard to know if perceived improvements are real or not, but I thought she seemed to be a lot more comfortable in Saturday's match. Against Nebraska, MilIer had 36 assists in 5 sets, and against Iowa, she had 38 in 3 sets. Granted, a lot of that was because of the team's much improved service returns and passing against Iowa, but I think it was more than that. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part. I hope not.

Last edited:

Interesting observations. The Gophers were trending upwards right straight to the point of Miller's injury. Some people in the know seriously projected MN as a Final Four candidate then. For me, the questions are: 1) how far back can Miller make it in such a short time and 2) what frame of mind is the rest of the team in after more or less 'improvising' for so long? Lingering most in my mind is the team's season-long tendency to get leads or even match points and set points against good teams and not be able to put it away. Flub-ups like that vs. WI & Nebr cost them the Big Ten title. One & done in the NCAAs.

Interesting observations. The Gophers were trending upwards right straight to the point of Miller's injury. Some people in the know seriously projected MN as a Final Four candidate then. For me, the questions are: 1) how far back can Miller make it in such a short time and 2) what frame of mind is the rest of the team in after more or less 'improvising' for so long? Lingering most in my mind is the team's season-long tendency to get leads or even match points and set points against good teams and not be able to put it away. Flub-ups like that vs. WI & Nebr cost them the Big Ten title. One & done in the NCAAs.
[/QUO
I don't think the Gophers blew any leads -- certainly no set points -- against Nebraska. Nebraska won its three sets by 3, 7, and 12 points, with the Gophers never having a lead in the set lost by 3 points, last leading 5-4 in the 7-point loss, and last leading 2-1 in the 12-point lost fifth set. Regarding "One & done in the NCAAs," are you saying the Gophers won't get past their first match, or are you simply pointing out the NCAAs are single elimination? If it's the former, the Gophers should be playing someone seeded around 55th, so I'll take that bet. No way will the Gophers go one and done.

Last edited:

I don't think the Gophers blew any leads -- certainly no set points -- against Nebraska. Nebraska won its three sets by 3, 7, and 12 points, with the Gophers never having a lead in the set lost by 3 points, last leading 5-4 in the 7-point loss, and last leading 2-1 in the 12-point lost fifth set. Regarding "One & done in the NCAAs," are you saying the Gophers won't get past their first match, or are you simply pointing out the NCAAs are single elimination? If it's the former, the Gophers should be playing someone seeded around 55th, so I'll take that bet. No way will the Gophers go one and done.
You're right. I misspoke; I meant it's single elimination (not that they'd lose in the first round). No, MN had no 5th-set set points vs Nebr), but they had Nebr. on the run. Then they didn't carry the charge into the 5th set. That or similar things happened vs. Texas, WI, and Nebr, and they sort of haven't shown up for other sets this year, too, which makes me wonder: bad luck? or something lacking? I'd love for them to turn the tide.

Yes there is something lacking: SSS.

Team is pretty much the same as last year, other than Barnes.

NCAA RPIs through matches of 11/24, with last week's RPI in parentheses:

1. Baylor (1)
2. Wisconsin (3)
3. Texas (2)
4. Stanford (4)
5. Pittsburgh (5)
6. Nebraska (7)
7. Kentucky (8)
8. Washington (10)
9. Florida (9)
10. Minnesota (6)
11. Hawaii (12)
12. Marquette (11)
13. Texas A&M (15)
14. Rice (14)
15. Western Kentucky (21-t)
16. Utah (16)

18. Penn State (13)
23. Purdue (21-t)
39. Michigan (35)
43. Illinois (45)

Penn State's RPI could well go up next week even if it loses to both Wisconsin and Minnesota, but that current #18 position might give them a lot to play for this coming weekend.

For kicks, I thought I'd look up the pre-season AVCA Coaches rankings to see how accurate they were. As of August 13, 2019, here are the top 25 and others receiving votes on two or more ballots. After each team, I have Included the current RPI in parentheses.

1. Stanford (current RPI #4)
2. Nebraska (6)
3. Minnesota (10)
4. Texas (3)
5. Wisconsin (2)
6. Illinois (43)
7. Kentucky (7)
8. Penn State (18)
9. BYU (20)
10. Florida (9)
11. Oregon (97)
12. Pittsburgh (5)
13. Washington (8)
14. Southern California (27)
15. Michigan (39)
16. Marquette (12)
17. Purdue (23)
18. Creighton (17)
19. Tennessee (72)
20. Baylor (1)
21. San Diego (26)
22. Washington State (56)
23. Cal Poly (38)
24. Arizona (80)
25. Louisville (24)
Others: Missouri (19), Utah (16), Colorado State (25), UCF (22), Pepperdine (55), Florida State (35), Hawaii (11), Northern Iowa (40), TCU (112), UCLA (28), Cincinnati (21), Rice (14), South Carolina (41), Texas State (31), Loyola Marymount (115), Colorado (63), Kansas (117)

Oregon fell apart. Perfect. They rise up one year to rip our souls out, and then slink away back to nothing.

Minnesota swept Rutgers 14, 15, 22. Miyabe played for Samedy (Samedy was on the bench) and led the team with 13 aces (hitting .524). The Gophers had 15 aces; six by Pittman. On to Penn State.

And...Penn State took out the Badgers in 5 sets. Wisconsin cruised through the first two sets before Penn State got organized.

Last edited:

Minnesota swept Rutgers 14, 15, 22. Miyabe played for Samedy (Samedy was on the bench) and led the team with 13 aces (hitting .524). The Gophers had 15 aces; six by Pittman. On to Penn State.

And...Penn State took out the Badgers in 5 sets. Wisconsin cruised through the first two sets before Penn State got organized.
Is Samedy okay?

Is Samedy okay?

Samedy was standing with the rest of the players on the bench and didn't appear to have an obvious injury. That diagnosis is from watching the match which was broadcast with one camera at mid-court with no zoom. I'm assuming she'll play tomorrow night; although her playing time has been reduced late in the season.

Wonder if it is a poor attitude. I'm pulling that straight out of my keister, no inside info.

But when they went to the 6-2 (when Miller was out), that caused Samedy to lose her backcourt reps.

They switched back to the 5-1 for the second half of Nebraska, right? And I assume with that Samedy stayed in. Did not watch the Iowa home finale to see if they stayed with 5-1 or what. Was it a 5-1 for Rutgers?

Or maybe she was sick. Guess we'll find out tonight.

Hugh stayed with the 5-1 versus Iowa-as he did last night. From the Strib's article:

Gophers coach Hugh McCutcheon, before embarking on this road trip, said he would use it to “try to figure out how the team is going to play getting into the postseason. It’s nice to have everybody back and to be at full strength and to try to build into something here down the back stretch.”

Several of his players had been out with injuries.

Then there would be no reason for Samedy not to play, unless she had a minor injury or illness and they wanted to rest her for Penn St tonight.

It looks like Wisconsin, with its loss to Penn State, may have cost itself a chance to host a regional. The current RPIs have Wisconsin at #5, a shade behind Pittsburgh, who has completed its schedule (http://ncaastats.figstats.net/volleyball-rpi.cgi). Wisconsin's final match at Rutgers will only cause a further decline in its RPI score, as it did for the Gophers.

Last edited:

Not sure the Gophers have the swagger to beat Penn State tonight. Back row play has not been the best. Wishing for the best. Go Gophers!

It looks like Wisconsin, with its loss to Penn State, may have cost itself a chance to host a regional. The current RPIs have Wisconsin at #5, a shade behind Pittsburgh, who has completed its schedule (http://ncaastats.figstats.net/volleyball-rpi.cgi). Wisconsin's final match at Rutgers will only cause a further decline in its RPI score, as it did for the Gophers.
Pitt is not top 4. ACC is trash in volleyball.
Pitt 2019 = Minnesota 2018 ... out first regional match. :cry:

Pitt is not top 4. ACC is trash in volleyball.
Pitt 2019 = Minnesota 2018 ... out first regional match. :cry:
Minnesota 2018=their perfomance in matches delcined steadily after mid-season. Pitt 2019=has their level of play declined in the 2nd half of the season?

Minnesota 2018=their perfomance in matches delcined steadily after mid-season. Pitt 2019=has their level of play declined in the 2nd half of the season?
If the Gophers' 2018 "performance in matches declined steadily after mid-season," it wasn't reflected in their won-loss record. They won 20 of their last 21 regular-season matches, losing only at Penn State in 5.

Last edited:

Samedy was dressed last night, but didn't appear to be taped up like she normally is. I ready on VT that in the last few years, Hugh has given some starters rest and played a variety of others in that match.

If the Gophers' 2018 "performance in matches declined steadily after mid-season," it wasn't reflected in their won-loss record. They won 20 of their last 21 regular-season matches, losing only at Penn State in 5.
I'm not measuring their performance quantitatively, but qualitatively. After the 2nd WI game in 2018, MN's play lost its sharpness, in my opinion. True, they kept winning but not convincingly, and the lack of sharpness showed most vs. Oregon.

For any of you non-believers, a very impressive Gophers win in four sets tonight at Penn State. The Gophers came back from down 15-10 in the 2nd and down 16-13 in the 3rd to win both sets at 25-20. Penn State had been 9-0 in Big Ten play at home this year, plus a win tonight would have made them Big Ten co-champions with Wisconsin. Samedy is back in fine style: she hit .475 on 21 kills in 40 attempts, with just two errors. Great win! First Gophers win at Penn State since 2004.

Last edited:

Great win at Penn State. The ladies look very good going into tournament time. Best of luck, bigger and better things to come. Go Gophers!

The Gophers RPI is probably going to be #10. If they end up being a 3-seed tonight, that is going to be one stacked regional.

Last edited:

Top Bottom