Gopher targets in the portal

Seems like quite a stretch.

In fact...tf?
Probably based on need. The gophers are losing a lot of experience on the d-line. The only upper classmen coming back are Carter, Richter, and Rush (I am pretty sure Rush is coming back, but unsure if confirmed). They have a lot of young talent, but they need to add a couple older d-lineman in the transfer portal, especially since they rotate at DT and DE a lot. You need at least 8 guys for the rotation and a couple more that could be ready in case of injuries.

Probably based on need. The gophers are losing a lot of experience on the d-line. The only upper classmen coming back are Carter, Richter, and Rush (I am pretty sure Rush is coming back, but unsure if confirmed). They have a lot of young talent, but they need to add a couple older d-lineman in the transfer portal, especially since they rotate at DT and DE a lot. You need at least 8 guys for the rotation and a couple more that could be ready in case of injuries.
DL is going to be very interesting to watch in the spring and fall. Number of highly touted young guys with college size but minimal experience. Not surprised to see them trying to bring in a few older guys by way of the portal to take some pressure off of the younger players.

Seems like quite a stretch.

In fact...tf?
It'd be nice to always take proven producers. But sometimes you can hit with guys that haven't had a chance to produce yet. I'm guessing he was behind several big time DTs at Clemson, similar to Pinkney. He had a fantastic offer list out of high school. He was more productive than Micah Dew Treadway was at Notre Dame, and MDT worked out well for us. I don't really understand your reaction tbh.

It'd be nice to always take proven producers. But sometimes you can hit with guys that haven't had a chance to produce yet. I'm guessing he was behind several big time DTs at Clemson, similar to Pinkney. He had a fantastic offer list out of high school. He was more productive than Micah Dew Treadway was at Notre Dame, and MDT worked out well for us. I don't really understand your reaction tbh.

All you need to understand is that USAF is pretty much calling every transfer/recruit/target a reach or a stretch. I don't think he has watched much of the last few years to understand how transfers have worked out for the Gophers.

Pinckney was a pretty known commodity though. He was All ACC, a team captain at Clemson and a heavy contributor for a National Championship team.

Not the same. The ND transfer seems a better example.

Last edited:

All you need to understand is that USAF is pretty much calling every transfer/recruit/target a reach or a stretch. I don't think he has watched much of the last few years to understand how transfers have worked out for the Gophers.
I've called 2 a reach: this guy and Surgers.
I like the two DBs. Fast, proven all conference level performers. Multi year starters. Real chance they will help, and look like special teams assets at a minimum, but likely B1G level help in the defensive backfield.

This guy couldn't get on the field. The D end from Vandy made it on the field only as a sr and even then not a full time starter. At Vandy...

What I like is how you pooh-pooh everything about a guy leaving, but everyone coming in is Jack Gibbons (who I was a big fan of when he transferred in, btw--proven multi year starter, all conference, looked quick and smart on film. Like thr 2 DBs....)

Tell us what it is about Jeffries you like.

I like the two DBs. Fast, proven all conference level performers. Multi year starters. Real chance they will help, and look like special teams assets at a minimum, but likely B1G level help in the defensive backfield.

This guy couldn't get on the field. The D end from Vandy made it on the field only as a sr and even then not a full time starter. At Vandy...

What I like is how you pooh-pooh everything about a guy leaving, but everyone coming in is Jack Gibbons (who I was a big fan of when he transferred in, btw--proven multi year starter, all conference, looked quick and smart on film. Like thr 2 DBs....)

I like guys who are at quality programs like Clemson to provide depth on the DL. We need bodies and it's much easier to get that depth from a place where they've been in a good S&C program as opposed to gambling on JUCO or assuming young guys will be ready.

As far as not getting on the field at a Top 10 program, neither did Chris Williamson, MDT or Dylan Wright. Those guys worked out pretty well. Sure, Jeffries could be another Val Martin, but it's worth finding out.

I like guys who are at quality programs like Clemson to provide depth on the DL. We need bodies and it's much easier to get that depth from a place where they've been in a good S&C program as opposed to gambling on JUCO or assuming young guys will be ready.

As far as not getting on the field at a Top 10 program, neither did Chris Williamson, MDT or Dylan Wright. Those guys worked out pretty well. Sure, Jeffries could be another Val Martin, but it's worth finding out.
Additionally, guys with his mass are not easily found. I remember once coach saying that the hardest position to recruit for easily is DL as there aren't a ton of those type of athletes in HS and all programs need them.

While I get where you are coming from, it is premature to call a guy a reach until he has a chance to come here and show what he can do. The coaches have done a very good job at identifying players in the portal that can come in and help us, especially on defense.

He was highly rated out of high school and good enough for Clemson and Ohio State to offer. Sure he hasn't played much, but it's not like he was a no name out of high school and a bench warmer at New Mexico State. I feel like the floor on these types is that they were busts at the original school, but can at least add depth here. The middle ground is that while yes they weren't starters, hopefully there isn't a huge talent gap between them and the elite starters at a power program which could make them average to above average starters here. And the ceiling is that they weren't utilized correctly and can become stars and make the original program wish they had stuck around. Really tough to lose on taking a player like this as well, if they aren't great, well they graduate in a year or two. I believe this player has 2 years?

It seems like a program like Minnesota is going to get transfers 1) from a lower level who have performed well and want to prove they can play up or 2) from our level or above and haven't played as much as they want to. I suppose we could get lucky and snare a random guy from a P5 program who is a proven commodity but had a coach leave, etc. We'll have a lot of competition for those guys. But most of the time the coaching staff is going to have to be able to project on guys who haven't played much -- or at all -- at this level.

It seems like a program like Minnesota is going to get transfers 1) from a lower level who have performed well and want to prove they can play up or 2) from our level or above and haven't played as much as they want to. I suppose we could get lucky and snare a random guy from a P5 program who is a proven commodity but had a coach leave, etc. We'll have a lot of competition for those guys. But most of the time the coaching staff is going to have to be able to project on guys who haven't played much -- or at all -- at this level.
Aren't most guys looking to transfer from Power 5 schools going to fit into category 2? Very few established stars at the power 5 level are going to be looking to move. I mean there will be some, especially at the QB position but not a ton of those guys each year.

We are kind of in that sweet spot in the middle where we can draw from both groups. Picking up guys that want to move up and helmet school guys looking for a fresh start but still want to be at the power 5 level.

He was a 4th year senior and still have two years left as a Grad Transfer, I believe. 2* out of HS. Best years are ahead of him.

Darnell Jeffries has an interesting background. The people on the Clemson boards really like him. It sounds like it's a combination between him being really locked in (not playing games) during recruiting, him being a nice guy and he has overcome quite a health issue.

He had been really struggling to maintain his weight while at Clemson. It dropped down to around 265 and he just couldn't keep his weight up. Eventually he was diagnosed with diabetes in March and now (apparently) his weight is up to 295 lbs with the help of proper medication.

Prior to 2021, he was having a nice trajectory. He played a little as a RS FR, played quite a bit as a RS SO played quite a bit, but then this injury happened. His health has made him a bit of a wildcard, but by all accounts he was in-line to play quite a bit before drastically losing 25-30 lbs this spring.

Darnell Jeffries has an interesting background. The people on the Clemson boards really like him. It sounds like it's a combination between him being really locked in (not playing games) during recruiting, him being a nice guy and he has overcome quite a health issue.

He had been really struggling to maintain his weight while at Clemson. It dropped down to around 265 and he just couldn't keep his weight up. Eventually he was diagnosed with diabetes in March and now (apparently) his weight is up to 295 lbs with the help of proper medication.

Prior to 2021, he was having a nice trajectory. He played a little as a RS FR, played quite a bit as a RS SO played quite a bit, but then this injury happened. His health has made him a bit of a wildcard, but by all accounts he was in-line to play quite a bit before drastically losing 25-30 lbs this spring.
Yeah. Getting type 1 diabetes likely wrecked his off-season and much of the weight he gained back was him being dehydrated.
When I started taking insulin I gained 20-25 pounds of water weight in about 8 weeks

I don’t know much about his history but if he was in line to contribute at Clemson but then got diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in March he is probably a better add than a low rated HS DL recruit

Objection your honor. Barrister is misleading the jury. In fact, barrister appears to be flat out inventing false testimony.

He was diagnosed with diabetes as a RS freshman, not last spring. By Feb 2020, when this article came out, he was back up to 285 lbs.

Last edited:

Aren't most guys looking to transfer from Power 5 schools going to fit into category 2? Very few established stars at the power 5 level are going to be looking to move. I mean there will be some, especially at the QB position but not a ton of those guys each year.

We are kind of in that sweet spot in the middle where we can draw from both groups. Picking up guys that want to move up and helmet school guys looking for a fresh start but still want to be at the power 5 level.
Yes, that's my point. We're either getting guys from a lower lever where we debate whether he can make the next step or a P5 guy where we debate why he wasn't playing (much) at his prior stop. We're going to have people on this board questioning every transfer we get.

Objection your honor. Barrister is misleading the jury. In fact, barrister appears to be flat out inventing false testimony.

He was diagnosed with diabetes as a RS freshman, not last spring. By Feb 2020, when this article came out, he was back up to 285 lbs.

Drink.
Remember when you said you blocked me to run away from being wrong? I guess you were just pretending. I'm sure you have to pretend a lot of things to get through the day. You could just get a job and improve your life. So you blocked me and now unblocked me? That's creepy as hell.

Inventing a false testimony? Are you f'n retarded? You're understanding of the legal system is about the same as your work ethic. . . non-existent. Get a job and stop pretending to block people to avoid arguments you lazy leech on society.

As to the article, I wasn't intending to mislead anyone. I had it wrong. I didn't have it memorized of when Jeffries was diagnosed and I was simply wrong. I wasn't trying to argue with your point about not being impressed by him because your opinion means nothing to me. You're an old, unemployed, internet tough guy.

Lastly, get a job.

This can be a win/lose cycle.
Pick up players from the Portal and that tells your younger players that they are not well thought of and are not high on the depth chart so they enter the portal and there goes your depth, player development, and it hurts recruiting young talent.
It is a sign of desperation and poor recruiting when you have to fill so many spots.
Especially the OL where teamwork and trusting the other OL are vital.

Pick up players from the Portal and that tells your younger players that they are not well thought of and are not high on the depth chart so they enter the portal and there goes your depth, player development, and it hurts recruiting young talent.
It is a sign of desperation and poor recruiting when you have to fill so many spots.
WR Keontez Lewis; CB Jay Shaw; CB Cedrick Dort; CB Justin Clark; K Vito Calvaruso

Fleck always has told his players from day one it is his job every year to put recruit them and it's the players' job to make that hard. This is no different from a player perspective than bringing in a HS recruit.

What players transferred due to us adding portal players? We’ve already seen the experiment work at KSU who were well known for taking juco players. It’s not desperation or poor recruiting, they don’t HAVE to fill so many spots. You add players that will make the team better, doesn’t matter if they are from high school or another college.

Top Bottom