Gopher targets in the portal

Hates Monikers

Reaction score
We have threads on Gophers in the portal and other players in the portal, but none specifically looking at Gopher targets. Someone else suggested this, and I agreed; sorry if this has already been started.

I am wondering if Isiah Gibson from KY will be a DL target. Gophs were on him out of HS and Rossi was his primary recruiter. No information here I just saw his name come up a while back and thought he may be a target if we go DL in the portal:

Akron WR transfer Konata Mumpfield

Duke DT transfer Gary Smith III.........Smith would be a good get

I know it feels like an eternity waiting for something to happen for Gophers fans with transfer commitments/signees.

It's a waiting game for both the Gophers and for transfer players between now and next April. That is the story of last year. It is knowing what you want and when to pull the trigger. It's pins and needles time for the Gophers' recruiting staff.

2021:
Val Martin - Entered portal 12/07/2020, signed 12/23/2020
Dylan Wright - Entered portal 12/10/2020, signed 12/23/2020
Nyles Pinckney - Entered portal 01/11/2021, signed 01/24/2021 FIFY
Karter Shaw - Entered portal 01/11/2021, signed 01/14/2021
Matthew Tricket - Entered portal 02/02/2021, signed 02/05/2021

Does anyone know why Val Martin quit the team late in the season?

So far for 2022:
Ryan Stapp
- Entered portal 11/22/2021, committed 12/11/2021
Shannon Bishop - Entered portal 12/14/2021, committed 12/22/2021

We hope to see similar successes in this recruiting class with late signees like Nyles Pinckney who had eligibility left and wanted to continue playing with the hope of NFL recognition.

Last edited:

He's got loads of offers, hopefully we get him.
You’d think the fact that they have 4 departing starters along the OL would get his attention.

Last edited:

If nothing else, portal offers give us a window into how the coaches evaluate the roster. If you're offering OL in the portal, that tells us that the coaches think they need help at OL. Likewise with the additions at DB.

Winston Wright. Jr just entered the transfer portal. WR from West Virginia.
Just noticed that Matt Simon just followed him on twitter.

Word is that he voiced his frustration with the coaching staff during the Bowl game against the Gophers.

Just something I noticed.

Word is that he voiced his frustration with the coaching staff during the Bowl game against the Gophers.

5'9" 63 catches for 688 yards.

If nothing else, portal offers give us a window into how the coaches evaluate the roster. If you're offering OL in the portal, that tells us that the coaches think they need help at OL. Likewise with the additions at DB.
No surprise there though. I think we all knew OL and DB would be needing some reinforcement.

I don't think you can necessarily think they lack talent, but it's with some of these higher end portal players you feel you know to a little more of a degree where they're at. For example, the O-Lineman DiRenzo is a three time All Conf and a All-American at the FCS level and has the size. You know he has skill it's more a matter of how good can he be at the FBS level. Same thing with Bishop being 1st team All-Conf. You can look at your young back-ups all you want in practice, but you don't really know until they're doing it on a down by down basis. Plus you really can't have to many good players at the DB & OL positions.

Kirk obviously knows the kid.

I don't think you can necessarily think they lack talent, but it's with some of these higher end portal players you feel you know to a little more of a degree where they're at. For example, the O-Lineman DiRenzo is a three time All Conf and a All-American at the FCS level and has the size. You know he has skill it's more a matter of how good can he be at the FBS level. Same thing with Bishop being 1st team All-Conf. You can look at your young back-ups all you want in practice, but you don't really know until they're doing it on a down by down basis. Plus you really can't have to many good players at the DB & OL positions.
IMHO, Offensive Linemen take longer to develop as a unit. They are like an orchestra. To play in synchronicity, they need a lot of practice sessions together. However, when you are at the senior level of play you developed the refined skills to synchronize with any other orchestra. I am hoping that JD DiRenzo is at that level. Can he be good at the FBS level? I would think so.

Last edited:

We hope to see more transfer commitments this month and next month now that the bowl games have been played.

Players from the four CFB playoff teams, we may see players from those enter the Transfer Portal soon.

UPDATE:

Transfer Portal acquisitions:

2021:
Val Martin - Entered portal 12/07/2020, signed 12/23/2020
Dylan Wright - Entered portal 12/10/2020, signed 12/23/2020
Nyles Pinckney - Entered portal 01/11/2021, signed 01/24/2021 FIFY
Karter Shaw - Entered portal 01/11/2021, signed 01/14/2021
Matthew Tricket - Entered portal 02/02/2021, signed 02/05/2021

So far for 2022:
Ryan Stapp, CB, 6' 0", 170 lbs, Abeline Christian
- Entered portal 11/22/2021, committed 12/11/2021
Shannon Bishop, DB, 5' 10", 175 lbs, WKU - Entered portal 12/14/2021, committed 12/22/2021
Lorenza Surgers, DL, 6' 5", 265 lbs, Vanderbilt - Entered portal 11/30/2021, committed 1/4/2022
Quinn Carroll, OT, 6' 6-3/8", 313 lbs, ND - Entered portal 1/3/2022, committed 1/4/2022

Top Bottom