Gopher Softball 2024

Quite average numbers but good to see Wisconsin losing players

Wisconsin P Paytn Monticelli is entering the transfer portal, she announced. As a freshman in 2023, Monticelli posted a 2.71 ERA, a .235 opponent's batting average, and 82 strikeouts in 80 innings of work.
Transferred to Oklahoma, sure seems like better options were available in portal

Coaching News: Katie Rietkovich Browder is joining the coaching staff at Charlotte as the associate head coach. She'll work with the Niners' offense.

Bunch of anonymous comments against their head coach as well

The NU softball team is now listed as one of the problem teams just like the football team and Pat Fitzgerald according to one of the new lawsuits.

The NU softball team is now listed as one of the problem teams just like the football team and Pat Fitzgerald according to one of the new lawsuits.
That whole athletic department needs an overhaul.

Some of it is getting to be a stretch for what is getting coaches sued/punished. Players accusing coaches of making them run sprints as punishment for breaking team rules is something that happens in every level every sport

Taryn Kern transfers to Stanford… someone once responded to one of my Softball board posts by writing that it was impossible (yes, impossible) to transfer to Stanford.

Taryn Kern transfers to Stanford… someone once responded to one of my Softball board posts by writing that it was impossible (yes, impossible) to transfer to Stanford.
A quick google says their acceptance rate is 1-4%. But I'd bet athletes have an easier time, or at least make up a good portion of those transfers.

Coaching Scoop: @GopherSoftball great Amber Fiser is stepping into the full-time coaching ranks, joining the staff at North Florida as the Ospreys' new pitching coach.
It's a good start for her. She is also recognizing that you can't always start at a "name" school and need to work your way up.

It's a good start for her. She is also recognizing that you can't always start at a "name" school and need to work your way up.
That and her alma mater already has one that isn't going anywhere.

Vawter from Stanford and Jones from Unc via gophers to South Carolina

Nice MN Daily article about Jessa Snippes:

Our softball conference just got crazy!

The BIG is suddenly a power softball conference. One could argue the top 3 softball programs in the Pac12 over the past decade (especially now that Candrea retired) are now conference foes.

The BIG is suddenly a power softball conference. One could argue the top 3 softball programs in the Pac12 over the past decade (especially now that Candrea retired) are now conference foes.
Until Patty retires it's still a competition for second place

Same thing was said in Women’s BB about Connecticut. South Carolina has done okay the last few years. Once this NIL is figured out by more teams, Oklahoma’s run will end.

Nothing screams student athletes quite like missing exams to fly from LA to NJ and back for a weekend series
They can't play everyone each year. I'm assuming they'll come up with a different type of scheduling than they've done anytime before. But when you think about it, the flight is two more hours? Not a big deal.

They can't play everyone each year. I'm assuming they'll come up with a different type of scheduling than they've done anytime before. But when you think about it, the flight is two more hours? Not a big deal.
Problem is all the coast to coast travel with someone losing 3 hours on time zones and a 4-5 hour flight. Be better off scheduling in pods where you spend whole week on the coast playing multiple teams and only have to make 1 flight each way.

Same thing was said in Women’s BB about Connecticut. South Carolina has done okay the last few years. Once this NIL is figured out by more teams, Oklahoma’s run will end.
UConn just can't stay healthy, significantly more talent than LSU but injury bug already started with freshman center torn Achilles in international play

Our softball conference just got crazy!
And the Gophers have just been pushed further down the softball power rankings in the Big Ten.

As a softball fanatic, I could always hope that my team could make a run and at least win one tournament, the Big Ten tournament. Now I’ll be dead before that happens again. Actually, my kids will probably be dead by then too - and they’re presently in elementary school.

Last edited:

Top Bottom