Gopher Softball 2024

Quite average numbers but good to see Wisconsin losing players

Wisconsin P Paytn Monticelli is entering the transfer portal, she announced. As a freshman in 2023, Monticelli posted a 2.71 ERA, a .235 opponent's batting average, and 82 strikeouts in 80 innings of work.

Quite average numbers but good to see Wisconsin losing players

Wisconsin P Paytn Monticelli is entering the transfer portal, she announced. As a freshman in 2023, Monticelli posted a 2.71 ERA, a .235 opponent's batting average, and 82 strikeouts in 80 innings of work.
Wonder if she follows former Wisconsin pitching coach Kirsten Verdun to Illinois? Verdun’s departure from Wisconsin for what appears to a similar position or maybe even a lesser role at Illinois this month is somewhat unusual for assistant coaches in the conference.

Wonder if she follows former Wisconsin pitching coach Kirsten Verdun to Illinois? Verdun’s departure from Wisconsin for what appears to a similar position or maybe even a lesser role at Illinois this month is somewhat unusual for assistant coaches in the conference.
And I don't know about Wisky but Illinois' coach is on a hot seat.

Kianna Jones (MN/NC) is in the portal....seems odd.
I wonder if she already received her degree? A UNC degree is a good one to have. Maybe she just wants to play one more year of softball and UNC didn’t have space for her and she can take her degree and go to someplace where she can play?

Not unusual. Verdun and Laura Trout -associate head coach at Illinois-are married...Highly unlikely that Monticelli leaves for Illinois. And Illinois just brought in transfer Brianna Bower-P from Mississippi State.

Kianna Jones (MN/NC) is in the portal....seems odd.
NC has a new coach, from Marshall. I noticed at least one Marshall player is transferring to NC, so probably new coach combined with the numbers game.

She’s a fifth year of memory serves me correctly, so the new coach probably felt that the school’s obligation to Kianna was met, and she wanted to spend the scholarship dollars on her own recruits.

Not unusual. Verdun and Laura Trout -associate head coach at Illinois-are married...Highly unlikely that Monticelli leaves for Illinois. And Illinois just brought in transfer Brianna Bower-P from Mississippi State.
Given the relationships I understand completely why Verdun would make a lateral move within the conference, it’s just that I couldn’t recall another B1G assistant making a similar move, but assistant moves aren’t publicized much so maybe there have been others that I missed.

So another bat for the lineup.
Lindmark comes with a reputation as a very good hitter but also an experienced catcher. I just hope
this doesn't mean that Taylor Krapf will be entering the transfer portal.

Lindmark comes with a reputation as a very good hitter but also an experienced catcher. I just hope
I hope not as well. However, it seemed to me that she wore down during the last half of the year. And two other things - the portal closed Wednesday and another transfer would require her to sit for a year.

I'm sure she will just split time at the most, catching. Playing 1b is probably a more regular option. Now what position does Debord play?

I'm sure she will just split time at the most, catching. Playing 1b is probably a more regular option. Now what position does Debord play?
Since the team is in the process of rebuilding the outfield, I would expect her to compete for one of the starting outfield positions. She hits for a high average with some power (9 HR last year).

Assuming that Lindmark is starting catcher and Krapf is out most/all of season from knee

I didn’t know about Krapf’s bum knee. What is it that insiders know about this issue?
I would think she can be back playing by next spring at least to some extent. ( I also don't know about any injury)

Hi again. I'm PreacherRoe, new in name only; I used to be Hrothgar. What I think/hope we're seeing is Piper and staff building a roster with real depth. In recent years, including 2023, there's been a core of productive hitters but too many nearly sure outs in the bottom half of the order. Depth & efficiency in the circle are also needed. Hope for the best!

Last edited:

Time to get some discussion about next year started. I am looking forward to seeing what folks are thinking about 2024. Ski-U-Mah!
Hi, Rugger! It's Hrothgar that was, now PreacherRoe. Last spring I sent a friendly note to GopherHole saying my email address was changing & I wanted to make it easier for them to stay in contact with me. Because of a misunderstanding, my GopherHole acct. was canceled instead of being updated. It's taken about 4 months of letter writing & other failed changes for me to be reinstated, finally. I'm still Roger, but Hrothgar (Anglo-Saxon English for "famous with the spear") is no more. Is anybody else on GopherHole old enough to remember who the real Preacher Roe was? Knowing that should be worth a prize. Anyway, thanks to whoever it was on GopherHole that got me reinstated.

I wonder if she noticed that Lindeman did not have the success that she was hoping for in moving to Florida.
I've always thought L. leaving MN was a mistake. If she'd stayed, she'd be enshrined in the annals forever.

Hi, Rugger! It's Hrothgar that was, now PreacherRoe. Last spring I sent a friendly note to GopherHole saying my email address was changing & I wanted to make it easier for them to stay in contact with me. Because of a misunderstanding, my GopherHole acct. was canceled instead of being updated. It's taken about 4 months of letter writing & other failed changes for me to be reinstated, finally. I'm still Roger, but Hrothgar (Anglo-Saxon English for "famous with the spear") is no more. Is anybody else on GopherHole old enough to remember who the real Preacher Roe was? Knowing that should be worth a prize. Anyway, thanks to whoever it was on GopherHole that got me reinstated.
Yes, I do. I'll recognize you only if you're wearing a Brooklyn Dodger cap at some of the games.

I'm old enough to remember the old Dodger lefty Preacher Roe. There was a big article in
Sports Illustrated many years ago where Preacher showed how he loaded up his money pitch
the Spitter. He was a crafty and very successful lefty pitcher I think in the 60's.

I'm old enough to remember the old Dodger lefty Preacher Roe. There was a big article in
Sports Illustrated many years ago where Preacher showed how he loaded up his money pitch
the Spitter. He was a crafty and very successful lefty pitcher I think in the 60's.
Right, but more like the 50s. He was 22-3 in the horrible 1951 season for the Dodgers.

Top Bottom