Gopher softball 2023

…pitching is what concerns me most. Without Pease, they'd be in a sinking ship similar to last year's. The Gophers haven't recruited a single freshman stud pitcher who can step in and excel since Fiser was a sr in high school. True, those pitchers don't grow on trees, but do exist.
All fans, me included, need to understand this point when we are down on our teams’ pitching. There are 305 other women’s softball teams that want an 18-year old stud pitcher just as much as we do. And some of those few stud pitchers may want to play closer to their campus for at least some of the first almost two months of the softball season. It’s tough.

All fans, me included, need to understand this point when we are down on our teams’ pitching. There are 305 other women’s softball teams that want an 18-year old stud pitcher just as much as we do. And some of those few stud pitchers may want to play closer to their campus for at least some of the first almost two months of the softball season. It’s tough.
Yes, it's tough, but it can be done, and it's the key to an elite status in DI. Gophers have had Moulton, Groenewegen, Fiser, and now maybe Pease (though she wasn't out of high school). Time for more. I know I'm greedy, but why not us, too? Recruiting's a skill.

Yes, it's tough, but it can be done, and it's the key to an elite status in DI. Gophers have had Moulton, Groenewegen, Fiser, and now maybe Pease (though she wasn't out of high school). Time for more. I know I'm greedy, but why not us, too? Recruiting's a skill.
Yes it is...and critical to being an elite program.

Did Pease get any national attention for pitching 25 innings and winning 3 complete games over the weekend?
The BIG10 pitcher of the week was from Penn she had 14 strike outs and 2 wins against weak competition. Pease had 29k’s 3 wins against 2 higher level teams but no looks from the BIG 10 selection/coaching committee. Seems kinda strange. No respect for Gophers !

The BIG10 pitcher of the week was from Penn she had 14 strike outs and 2 wins against weak competition. Pease had 29k’s 3 wins against 2 higher level teams but no looks from the BIG 10 selection/coaching committee. Seems kinda strange. No respect for Gophers !
They probably shouldn’t even bother with conference awards until conference play starts, but even then, they generally just go off stat lines anyway, with rare exceptions.

They probably shouldn’t even bother with conference awards until conference play starts, but even then, they generally just go off stat lines anyway, with rare exceptions.
True, doesn't matter. Maybe is more of a jinx anyway. Oakland won a weekly award and then went hitless 3 straight games, as I recall, or something like that.

I agree with you that Parshall should not have won B1G pitcher of the week considering her competition. But it's usually gaudy numbers like a 0.00 weekend ERA that will get you the award. IMO it was Pease giving up 5 ER vs LMU that prevented her from winning, even though I think most people would say Pease had a more impressive weekend than Parshall.

True, doesn't matter. Maybe is more of a jinx anyway. Oakland won a weekly award and then went hitless 3 straight games, as I recall, or something like that.
Oakland is in quite a slump that she needs to break out of.

I guess Krapf and Chavez are the flip side of that coin. They are hitting so very well.

Strelow who is hitting below .150 makes another costly error in the field to give SDSU a run

Minnesota is now 1-4 in 1-run games this season. They are 10-3 when scoring at least 3 runs. They are 1-6 when scoring 2 runs or less. Pitching is doing their job. Offense is not.

Incredibly listless performance by everybody. Why did the team even bother to show up? And why didn't Piper just start the game with Pease to begin with and let her win the game 1-0, which she surely would have done.

Strelow who is hitting below .150 makes another costly error in the field to give SDSU a run
Another strong pitching performance wasted by poor defense. How many errors has Strelow committed this year?

Another strong pitching performance wasted by poor defense. How many errors has Strelow committed this year?
She has six errors on the season, which is the highest on the team. She has a .926 fielding percentage. I wouldn't mind her bat being in the lineup if she had stellar defense (think Brandt), but she's making a lot of errors in the field and is hitting .086 lower than the next worst bat in the lineup.

She has six errors on the season, which is the highest on the team. She has a .926 fielding percentage. I wouldn't mind her bat being in the lineup if she had stellar defense (think Brandt), but she's making a lot of errors in the field and is hitting .086 lower than the next worst bat in the lineup.
Brandt was great. Too bad Piper never let her catch a inning, then she would have played all nine positions.

Incredibly listless performance by everybody. Why did the team even bother to show up? And why didn't Piper just start the game with Pease to begin with and let her win the game 1-0, which she surely would have done.
As good as Pease has been she can’t pitch every game. Piper needs to develop a deep pitching staff and the only to achieve that is by giving the ball to the other pitchers. Hambrick was doing fine until the errors.

As good as Pease has been she can’t pitch every game. Piper needs to develop a deep pitching staff and the only to achieve that is by giving the ball to the other pitchers. Hambrick was doing fine until the errors.
If deveoping a deep pitching staff is the aim, why put Pease in? If she can't pitch every game, why insert her in this one? Why not let Schwartz or Enter finish it? And why go all the way to San Diego to play a game half-heartedly, which is how I interpreted the effort watching the stream.

If deveoping a deep pitching staff is the aim, why put Pease in? If she can't pitch every game, why insert her in this one? Why not let Schwartz or Enter finish it? And why go all the way to San Diego to play a game half-heartedly, which is how I interpreted the effort watching the stream.
I don’t think Piper is at the comfort level yet with Schwartz and Enter so she falls back to Pease.

I don’t think Piper is at the comfort level yet with Schwartz and Enter so she falls back to Pease.
Doesn't sound like much of a comfort level with Hambrick (sp?) either, jerking her after 3 or less innings? 20 games into the season and still only one reliable pitcher? I'm sorry for sounding so down, but last night's game left an extremely lackluster impression, from team and HC. Lucky Pease and DenHartog showed up.

Doesn't sound like much of a comfort level with Hambrick (sp?) either, jerking her after 3 or less innings? 20 games into the season and still only one reliable pitcher? I'm sorry for sounding so down, but last night's game left an extremely lackluster impression, from team and HC. Lucky Pease and DenHartog showed up.
Last night was disappointing. I too was expecting a lot more. Let’s see what the next 2 weeks bring.

After watching the disappointing SDSU game, I promised myself to leave off commenting here about Gophers' games. I'll keep watching and attending games, but it hasn't been the same for about 3 years. What happens, or more accurately doesn't happen, on the field and why is a mystery to me.

After watching the disappointing SDSU game, I promised myself to leave off commenting here about Gophers' games. I'll keep watching and attending games, but it hasn't been the same for about 3 years. What happens, or more accurately doesn't happen, on the field and why is a mystery to me.
I enjoy all the discussion on here, and all have good(sometimes valid LOL) points. So like I told 98 earlier, please continue as the more opinions on here the better the discussion.

You put on a beautiful tournament inside Viking's stadium, and these are the announcers you come up with? They are painful to listen to...

Great hit by Ehlke to get the Gophs on the board. Though I will say I don't know if I've ever seen as long of a swing as Ehlke's, especially with two strikes.

In the NDSU game, Burnett got a bloop hit that she stretched into a triple, only to be sent back to second. Anybody know why?

In the NDSU game, Burnett got a bloop hit that she stretched into a triple, only to be sent back to second. Anybody know why?
Was wondering that myself. Could only guess ball went out of play.

Top Bottom