Gopher softball 2023

This is......better defense would have stopped that NC run. And still can't hit.

Top of 5 - Gopher batters just not looking very good this game. North Carolina's ball contact is much much better. Krapf with second Gopher solid hit.

NC should never have scored that run. Right now another game where Pease is pitching well and we just cannot score for her.

They better score this time. Bases loaded, 2 out.

Ugh. Tuned in just in time to see the Gophs load the bases and get nothing. They're not seeing the off speed pitches it looks like.

Right now we have at least 4 different starters but it looks like our entire team from last year is still playing. It's unfortunate for Pease who is pitching a good game AGAIN.

Our 2 and 3 batters did not perform up to the level that we needed them to perform tonight.

We needed Chloe Evans to stick around. She is UCF’s best hitter.

Man. The last few innings were hard to watch. When the opposing pitcher is throwing nothing but curvy meatballs, sometimes you need to hit that meatball out the park instead of staring at it.

Different competition…last week was not great competition. Don’t be fooled by the hitting of last weekend. The have work to do.

Ok, so with the above statements in consideration what is everyone's expectation for this wknd? Or perhaps what would you consider not a problem after this wknd.

3-1 is what I expect. 2-2 is what I think will happen.
Well… clearly 1-3 is more likely than 3-1. In fact 0-4 is probably more likely than 3-1. I guess that means if we end up with a split weekend (2-2) that would be pretty good right now after this game tonight.

Different competition…last week was not great competition. Don’t be fooled by the hitting of last weekend. The have work to do.
This was embarrassing though. Throwing junk up there. Whole game. Make a dang adjustment. Seriously, moving up would have helped vs. the curve.

NC Pitcher had a GREAT GAME......she beat us.
I disagree. Minnesota beat themselves. 11 LOB? Really? How do you not come up with one clutch hit over the course of 7 innings? Minnesota made no adjustments at the plate. DenHartog hit lazy pop ups what 4 times? Oakland struck out 3 times (and looked really bad in those at bats)? I don't think that was exceptional pitching. That was just plain bad hitting with no adjustments made.

I disagree. Minnesota beat themselves. 11 LOB? Really? How do you not come up with one clutch hit over the course of 7 innings? Minnesota made no adjustments at the plate. DenHartog hit lazy pop ups what 4 times? Oakland struck out 3 times (and looked really bad in those at bats)? I don't think that was exceptional pitching. That was just plain bad hitting with no adjustments made.
I don't feel it was exceptional pitching by no means. Exactly my point.......MN wasn't adjusting so it was smart for the NC pitcher to keep pitching crap.

Damn, Oakland gets B1G FoTW honors and then strikes out three times.
I feel you see this a lot in ANY SPORT. I have seen a Grad Senior Player of the Week and then the next time out she just struggled and it appeared like she never played the sport before.

Maybe we should all be more concern why this coaching staff did not come up with any changes at the plate.....mixing the game up more. I believe there was 1 successful bunt attempt to move the batter from first. We have to capitalize on these kind of opportunities.

Also, is it too early in the season or are we lining up to see Pease start many many of the games like last year? I say probably, if the hitting doesn't change.

Last edited:

This is......better defense would have stopped that NC run. And still can't hit

The ball was mishandled by Strelow and the runner got on. When the NC runner was trying to steal second, It appeared the throw got there in time and was nice and low. Again, for whatever reason, the ball was mishandled. Think that was also on Strelow......however, no errors were called on her.

Although we have 4 new starters from last season, watching this game was just like watching some of those same type of losses from last year. Outside of some really nice pitching from Pease, it was not fun to watch.

Top Bottom