Gopher softball 2023

And now the black eye for the wknd. Lose to Colgate. I was hopeful.
Last year, the Gophers' worst loss was to Rutgers. This year they will have a loss against RPI 200+ Colgate. And Colgate outplayed them in every facet of the game, which is the worst part.

Visions of that last year's team, gets a lead only for pitching to fail us late. Glad we have one more game to wash this bad taste out of our mouths.

Last year, the Gophers' worst loss was to Rutgers. This year they will have a loss against RPI 200+ Colgate. And Colgate outplayed them in every facet of the game, which is the worst part.
Well that’s concerning - right after feeling quite well about the first 3 games of the season. Obviously, the competition was not super tough this weekend, but I assumed Colgate was clearly the least strong of our competition this weekend. Very concerning.

The message board roller coaster! It makes the season fun.

I would add Leschber to the four and say five. Leschber is hitting .500 and has walked four times. Bradley, Den Hartog, Krapf, Oakland and Leschber
Agreed. Leschber needs to be getting consistent starts. She looks good at the plate and has a good swing. Ehlke needs to be benched IMO.

On offense for 4 games relying on Den Hartog, a transwer player, and 4 freshmen. The veterans in the bottom half of the lineup not stepping up. You can't expect freshmen to carry a team for a whole season. In the circle only Pease looks ready to compete. Hopefully there'll be improvement in time.

I would say you cant' make any determinations from this weekend except that Pease will need to carry the team. I've watched every game, the opposing pitching was bad, worse, and not good. The Colgate game is what will happen if we don't have consistent production from at bats. Pease was outstanding, but I would also add that the opposing teams hitting has not been great either.

Pleasant surprises so far, Krapf at Catcher is going to be really good, Oakland is the best hitter on the team with no disrespect to DenHartog, Pease looks to be primed for a great season if she stays healthy. Bradley looks to be a good leadoff option-but I want to wait and see against better competition. After that...it was fairly uninspiring. We need more players to step up

If you don’t put that loss to poor hitting then you didn’t watch the game. The gophers had no ability to sit back and relax against the change up. Many came right down the middle without even a flinch. When you reach a power 5 level you need to know how to run the bags. Not sure if it’s bad 3rd base coaching, but sad waste of the few hits the produced

Thanks to all for the game recaps and reactions for those of us who were unable to watch.

Flosports? Good gracious, I've never heard of them.
Season has started and I hope you now know what Flosports is. Way too expensive monthly coverage at $29.99. Could go the yearly route with 20% off but not much for Gopher sports in the summer to watch.

I would say you cant' make any determinations from this weekend except that Pease will need to carry the team. I've watched every game, the opposing pitching was bad, worse, and not good. The Colgate game is what will happen if we don't have consistent production from at bats. Pease was outstanding, but I would also add that the opposing teams hitting has not been great either.

Pleasant surprises so far, Krapf at Catcher is going to be really good, Oakland is the best hitter on the team with no disrespect to DenHartog, Pease looks to be primed for a great season if she stays healthy. Bradley looks to be a good leadoff option-but I want to wait and see against better competition. After that...it was fairly uninspiring. We need more players to step up
These are a precarious couple years for the softball program. I fear we are one out-transfer of our star Freshman infielder away from being pretty terrible in the 2024 season and beyond. 😬

(I am usually the optimism person)

Last edited:

If you don’t put that loss to poor hitting then you didn’t watch the game. The gophers had no ability to sit back and relax against the change up. Many came right down the middle without even a flinch. When you reach a power 5 level you need to know how to run the bags. Not sure if it’s bad 3rd base coaching, but sad waste of the few hits the produced
Is this Piper's second or third hitting coach?

I did not watch any of the games, but stats are indicating pretty much what we have seen the past couple of years and as some have indicated maybe even good reason to be less excited for this season.

IDK maybe there is good reason for the departure of almost an entire class from last season.

These are a precarious couple years for the softball program. I fear we are one out-transfer of our star Freshman infielder away from being pretty terrible in the 2024 season and beyond. 😬

(I am usually the optimism guy)
I agree. And bad start today

The weather is causing chaos for both teams at different points during the game. Rain and wind as well as a slick pitching circle.

I’ll let you decide when it affected each team.

The weather is causing chaos for both teams at different points during the game. Rain and wind as well as a slick pitching circle.

I’ll let you decide when it affected each team.
Pease only pitched one inning. She didn’t get hurt or anything, did she?

No, she was getting hit and lots of walks. Control issue. Also both sides are complaining about the mound.

Avoiding FloSports, I didn't see any of the 5 games & so don't know about the various comments here. But the best way to keep newcomers like Oakland & Krapf from transferring out is winning tons & tons of games. This weekend is a start in that direction, despite Colgate. It's encouraging Kambrick (sp?) came through with 4 shutout innings. 4 reliable pitchers is a must to make a go of the season. Pease can't be expected to do it all in the circle a la Groenewegen. I predicted Oakland may be the best player (despite 3 errors) and hitter in the BIG. Hope I'm right. Better hang on to her. It's true the next 2 seasons are crucial. Oaklnd and Krapf are players to rebuild a strong winning tradition around. They'll open people's eyes around the country. And MORE elite pitchers!

FYI for Streamers for next week games -

Can I watch the game there? ACC Network Extra (ACCNX) programming is only available through the ESPN app if you subscribe to a provider who carries the network.

I do have the Elite Pkg with fuboTV (my TV Provider) that carries the ACCN channel. I have already checked it out and yes the games (listed as ACCNX) will be available on the ESPN App on my ROKU.

I personally just really enjoy this TV Provider. I highly suggest paying the $85 a month for their Elite Pkg. One of the best FOR ALL SPORTS. They just added Ballysports to this package.

Anyone else surprised Schwartz didn't get more innings? I kind of expected her to be the #2 behind Pease. I'm not jazzed about the idea of Hambrick being our #2.

Anyone else surprised Schwartz didn't get more innings? I kind of expected her to be the #2 behind Pease. I'm not jazzed about the idea of Hambrick being our #2.
I thought she struggled a little with command. Wasn’t what we saw in the fall, but just the sense I got. The last game weather early affected all the pitchers with the slick circle. It didn’t look like she adjusted to the elements like she needed to.

I was actually more surprised at her not getting any at bats, especially with some run rule games and Cox struggling at the plate.

If it’s anywhere close to a 50/50 call between two players on who will play, Ritter always (and I mean always) goes with the more experienced player.

I thought she struggled a little with command. Wasn’t what we saw in the fall, but just the sense I got. The last game weather early affected all the pitchers with the slick circle. It didn’t look like she adjusted to the elements like she needed to.

I was actually more surprised at her not getting any at bats, especially with some run rule games and Cox struggling at the plate.
I didn't see the game on TV, only what I read on the "ticker tape" reports. Hambrick apparenly came in in very bad playing conditions and shut down WKY with 4 innings of 1-hit pitching. If weather makes fielding hard, then don't let'em hit the ball, which seems to be what Hambrick did---7 KOs in 4 innings. Sounds like she stopped a train wreck in progress.

I didn't see the game on TV, only what I read on the "ticker tape" reports. Hambrick apparenly came in in very bad playing conditions and shut down WKY with 4 innings of 1-hit pitching. If weather makes fielding hard, then don't let'em hit the ball, which seems to be what Hambrick did---7 KOs in 4 innings. Sounds like she stopped a train wreck in progress.
Hambrick came in after the rain was done. Wind was still there, and grounds crew were better about taking care of the circle. But she pitched well and did shut them down. She had two k’s per the box score. Also not sure on scoring but I don’t understand why the box score as giving her the save….Hambrick should get the win.

Hambrick came in after the rain was done. Wind was still there, and grounds crew were better about taking care of the circle. But she pitched well and did shut them down. She had two k’s per the box score. Also not sure on scoring but I don’t understand why the box score as giving her the save….Hambrick should get the win.
Maybe I was wrong about the number of KOs; was going by memory Yes, it seems she should've gotten the win.

For all of you with angst over the Colgate loss - here are some other scores this weekend:

Lehigh 7 - Alabama 4
Longwood 5 - Florida St 4

If games like the Colgate game continue to happen, then it's trouble. Right now it's a blip.

Top Bottom