Gopher softball 2023

After graduation and transfers, the roster was reduced to 10. There are 6 freshman arriving. Last year, the roster was 20. Of the 16 players, only 2, Leschber and Ehlke, bat left-handed. Neither is a slapper. I hope that the coaches are looking to the portal for more than pitching.

I recently had the pleasure of meeting one of the girls parents. I won’t name names because I don’t want to be disrespectful, but they made it sound like although team culture was a big problem, the biggest issue was that girls did not like how they were being treated by coaches, especially the non starters. This also created the toxicity among the girls.
Again, not sure how true that is and I don’t have specific examples seeing as I don’t actually know them personally.
I hate to speculate if it’s untrue, but it would explain a lot.

After graduation and transfers, the roster was reduced to 10. There are 6 freshman arriving. Last year, the roster was 20. Of the 16 players, only 2, Leschber and Ehlke, bat left-handed. Neither is a slapper. I hope that the coaches are looking to the portal for more than pitching.
Six freshman?

I know Oakland, Schwartz, Leaschber, Burnett, Connell… that’s five; oh, and Werner. Once again, Gopher68 knows sports recruiting and educates

Yeah, I agree we are going to need transfers, both pitchers and hitters. I don’t love to say/write it, but it’s just true.

Six freshman?

I know Oakland, Schwartz, Leaschber, Burnett, Connell… that’s five; oh, and Werner. Once again, Gopher68 knows sports recruiting and educates

Yeah, I agree we are going to need transfers, both pitchers and hitters. I don’t love to say/write it, but it’s just true.
So true, it seems. Right now the roster of possible pitchers for 2023 doesn't look any different from 2022, which was ofc way less than good. Pease (is she going to be healthy?) backed up by a freshman and hoped-for good transfer pitchers.The probable team on the field doesn't fill me with optimism either. We need some really productive transfers or it's maybe trouble again. Only my opinion; I'd like to hear what I'm missing.

Hrothgar got it right, talked to a player and there was issues with team chemistry and I think it was obvious on the field. Don’t really know why y’all are expecting people to name drop with the information they have bc these are kids it would be unethical to throw them under the bus.. I’m hoping next year someone can step up as a leader and I’m hoping the coaches can address team connection and dynamic because at the end of the day it’s the coaches job to create a culture where kids are happy to play with each other and in practice have each others back. These kids are KIDS playing at the highest level. The desire to be the best is understandable but it can’t come at the expense of their teammates otherwise you’ll lose games you should win.
I thought they were adults who should be treated like adults.

Only in sports are adults treated as children.

Six freshman?

Thanks for the compliment. You are giving me more credit than I have earned.

So true, it seems. Right now the roster of possible pitchers for 2023 doesn't look any different from 2022, which was ofc way less than good. Pease (is she going to be healthy?) backed up by a freshman and hoped-for good transfer pitchers.The probable team on the field doesn't fill me with optimism either. We need some really productive transfers or it's maybe trouble again. Only my opinion; I'd like to hear what I'm missing.
I don't think youare missing anything. 100% need two transfer ptichers. BUT.....finding quality that doesn't want SEC or PAC12, wants to come to a cold weather climate, knowing that you are at best a #2 (if Pease is healthy), knowing they are bringing in 2 transfer pitchers, knowing that there are other programs in the same boat...doesn't leave a lot for optimism on what they can bring in. I hope I'm wrong.

Ally Miklesh lefty slapper from WI is in the portal, must have a COVID year remaining. Rachel Becker from Purdue is also in the portal. I'm guessing they are both looking for GRAD schools but both would be great addtions to our team IMO. Heck, might as well bring in Storako and get the B10 COVID year seniors together.

Ally Miklesh lefty slapper from WI is in the portal, must have a COVID year remaining. Rachel Becker from Purdue is also in the portal. I'm guessing they are both looking for GRAD schools but both would be great addtions to our team IMO. Heck, might as well bring in Storako and get the B10 COVID year seniors together.
Storako according to a random on robocoach forum already committed weeks ago to Florida St. Also looks like Donihoo to Alabama which would be a perfect fit, rumors are she has ton of character issues talking gossip to opposing teams and there's tons of issues with the bullying clique led by Kaylee Tow with Montana + others at Bama.

Is anyone else a little confused about Katie Richardson leaving after all these players? Maybe this was the reason they all left and actually could help the team in the long run now that she's gone? Just a thought.
I am confused too and wondered the same thing.

NW got run ruled by Oklahoma 13-2. Not a good look for the big 10
Not surprising, that either. NW had the weakest of all the regionals & it was surprising ASU didn't run-rule them before this.

Anyone hear anything on the early season schedule next year. Someone told me this winter they were planning on getting a weekend tournament at U.S. Bank for 2023.

NW got run ruled by Oklahoma 13-2. Not a good look for the big 10
First two innings Williams was throwing a ton of changeups down middle and getting away with it then they adjusted easily second pass through

First two innings Williams was throwing a ton of changeups down middle and getting away with it then they adjusted easily second pass through
It's always astounded me that other teams didn't make the same adjustment against her as Oklahoma.

We did in game 1 and 2 when we played them here. Not sure 2hat happened in game 3.

We did in game 1 and 2 when we played them here. Not sure 2hat happened in game 3.
Williams was behind in the count a lot in games 1 & 2 & had to come in over the plate. Hitters could pick their pitch. That rattled her, I think. MN hitters abandoned their approach & lost patience & let her control the B/S count in game 3. At least that's what I recall. Of course, pitching to BIGTEN hitters is a bit different than Oklahoma's. She look rattled v. Okla, too, after the grand slam. Par for the course v. Okla, it seems. Maybe OSU can beat them? Doubtful......

1654267170176.png

Very solid numbers for supers. OU/Texas first WCWS game on ABC should do even higher would assume 1.6M range

Bases loaded 2 outs and Rachel Lewis watched exact same pitch middle in 3 times after 3-0 count probably costing NW the game

With UCLA's run rule victory over Florida, all SEC teams have been eliminated. I would hope that the selection committee would take notice. But, that would assume that they had a scintilla of intelligence.

It feels like the Gophers have played a lot of these four WCWS teams remaining (and their top pitchers - I am especially thinking of Dolcini and Maxwell but Bahl and Faraimo too) over the last 12 months.

We have lost a lot of games over that period, but those losses were often to some of the nation’s absolute best.

It feels like the Gophers have played a lot of these four WCWS teams remaining (and their top pitchers - I am especially thinking of Dolcini and Maxwell but Bahl and Faraimo too) over the last 12 months.

We have lost a lot of games over that period, but those losses were often to some of the nation’s absolute best.
I can appreciate, and I approve, the tough scheduling. But to me it's like Neb football saying they're the best 3 win team in the country, or Notre Dame saying they should be considered great because of they're tough scheduling despite losing 4-5. Gotta win enough of those or it doesn't mean much.

Top Bottom