Gopher Softball 2022

So nice to see them win and by the 8 run rule with fantastic pitching AGAIN by Leavitt and with NO HOMERUNS for us. How about that?

Our defense came up big too and the hitters were EXECUTING. Big shoutout to the bottom of our lineup.

Hope it was as much fun for them winning as it was for us to watch this National Televised game.

Pretty sure all the talk leading up to this weekend series was "How bad NW was gonna beat us?" This was probably their best all-around game, hitting, pitching and defense. Gophers showed up this afternoon.

Let's go Gophers! Really good win for the RPI and if we win the next 2 (which might be likely since we had both of their pitchers numbers today, and plus Leavitt & Pease have been on fire lately) I think Minnesota has a pretty good shot at making it to the NCAA tournament
Maybe another win against NW and probably do some more damage in the B1G tourney if they want a spot in the NCAA postseason.

8-0 mercy rule win and finished in time for the next Espn2 game
What kind of odds do you think I could have gotten before the game on the Gophers run-ruling Northwestern? Wow! The Gophers were impressive in every facet of the game.

By the way...who would have thought Dray could put down a bunt to advance a runner. We need more of that Dray. Small ball does win games

I think it was amazing to see them run tule northwestern ESPECIALLY because they didn’t use the long ball to win. I think home runs are great and I think relying on home runs to win games this season has hurt them. To be able to string together base hits and create chaos on the base path is what separates good and great teams. Very encouraging to see this late in the season

Maybe another win against NW and probably do some more damage in the B1G tourney if they want a spot in the NCAA postseason.
NCAA SmenNCAA. The Tourney that matters for Big Ten teams is next week at the Big Ten tourney.

Any game that happens after next weekend’s tourney is the cherry on top of the Big Ten teams’ softball season.

Carnage in top 10 so NW mostly unaffected today for chasing top 8 seed

Regarding yesterday's game, I think it's also worth noting that the Gophers are in the middle of finals right now, while Northwestern is on a quarter system so finals won't be until early June.

Indiana’s win over Nebraska last night clinched the regular season title for Northwestern.

Indiana’s win over Nebraska last night clinched the regular season title for Northwestern.
Nebr. was 13-0 in the BIG w/ an 18-game win streak. Listening to the pretty hick announcing on their statewide Husker TV & radio network made it hard to root for them anyway. I realize that has nothing to do with the coaches/team itself and maybe it says nothing about the fans in Nebraska either, but the announcing felt way homerish.

Lots of comments here about whether the Gophers' issues this year were hitting or pitching. (Obviously, both are important.) Some have also commented that this year's team is relying on the long ball too much and therefore striking out more. But a statistics comparison to last year, when the Gophs went 31-13, shows this in 44 games last year and 48 this year (2021 listed first): BA .244/.284; Runs 205/260; Opp. Runs 123/254; HR 53/62; SO 246/245. While the Gophers are down a bit in runs scored, opponents' runs seems to be the big difference.

They are really hitting Williams well. Those two outside strikes against Cox seemed generous. Glad she drove in two after fouling a bunch off!

Let's go Gophers!! With the win today, I think that may have just secured a spot in the NCAA tourney for Minnesota.

Hopefully this team will show up and not the one we saw a few weeks back

Who IS this team?! Yesterday I asked what kind of odds do you think I could have gotten on the Gophs run-ruling Northwestern. To do it two times in a row, though? The odds would have been astronomical!

There isn't going to be a more dangerous 3-seed (4-seed?) in any of the NCAA tournament's opening rounds. And a nine- or ten-seed in the Big Ten tournament? Oy vey! Who's going to want to play them? The Gophers are really coming together at exactly the right time.

Last edited:

Who IS this team?! Yesterday I asked what kind of odds do you think I could have gotten on the Gophs run-ruling Northwestern. To do it two times in a row, though? The odds would have been astronomical!

There isn't going to be a more dangerous 3-seed (4-seed?) in any of the NCAA tournament's opening rounds. And a nine- or ten-seed in the Big Ten tournament? Oy vey! Who's going to want to play them? The Gophers are really coming together at exactly the right time.
Daring back to 2016 our record against them is like 15-4 I think. We just seem to match up well against them.

Wow. Beating Northwestern is pretty dang awesome.
It was kind of neat when the Big Ten Network showed the teams' combined runs, hits, and errors over the first two games in the series: Minnesota 16-19-1, and Northwestern 0-6-3.

It was kind of neat when the Big Ten Network showed the teams' combined runs, hits, and errors over the first two games in the series: Minnesota 16-19-1, and Northwestern 0-6-3.
Northwestern has played both games looking tired. They started 2019 & 2021 very hot also but cooled off those years too, near the end of their schedule.

I know Williams is a quality pitcher, but right know the Gophers really have her #

Box Score question:

If Kinch got credit for an RBI on the error by the RF, shouldn’t she have got credit for a Sac Fly and no at bat? There was less than 2 outs when the play occurred.

They may have gotten it mixed up? It should be an RBI on the sac fly. An error technically isn't a run "batted" in since it wouldn't have scored without the error.

Team is looking great! I just wish this team would have shown up in February! Or maybe NW just though we were trash and didn’t prepare 😂

They may have gotten it mixed up? It should be an RBI on the sac fly. An error technically isn't a run "batted" in since it wouldn't have scored without the error.
There was less than 2 outs and a fly to deep right field. The ball was dropped and the run would have scored anyway. If I was scoring, I would have scored it SF-E9 RBI (earned run), since SF-9 would have been the result without the drop.

L/L matchup would have been great spot for a PH instead of dowell

Top Bottom