Gopher Softball 2022

Dear GOPHER-A-HOLE members,

Remember players review this site also!

Let us hope Elon buys this site or else I’m getting the boot!

At last week’s game I saw some fans blow some extremely easy catches on FREE -T-Shirts. It is really embarrassing to see such lack of skill set in the stands! You would think that catching a rolled up FREE T-SHIRT wouldn’t be so hard, but it looks like our fan base need some practice in grabbing free stuff. Remember a pitcher had to strike someone out for you to even get the chance to catch that exceptionally large item. No running participated in each of the missed grabs. I did see some great hustle by some fans when it came to finding an item and taking it back to the table…. close call on a few of those! So and you if you are one of the one’s who failed to make a solid catch or you just didn’t have what it takes to get you speed on and you lost out on a win…. go back and practice for the next chance at free stuff. Look at it this way…. At least you don’t have any school work to due this week that would interfere with you becoming a better fan at the field.

Let us start some real dialog about the team by reviewing our season so far…we can take it one game at a time to reflect on how we have arrived at our current status.

A bit of review for everyone…We ended last season in the final against UCLA and we lost! We were the first team of the entire season to keep UCLA scoreless till the 4th. So, our pitching staff most have had what it takes at that point. Even with an ALL AMERICAN on our staff we chose to go with one pitcher. Not sure why but that is the theme of Minnesota softball. UCLA used two pitchers in the game, and we used one. UCLA scored two in the 4th and would score no more. We scored 1 in the 2nd via our most classic method of scoring , a solo HOME RUN by DRAY. We lost because against one of the Top programs in NCAA we could not score another run after that solo home run in the second.

On the pitching side our pitcher had seven strikeouts with 5 in the first 3 innings. UCLA pitching staff combine to throw seven strikeouts using 2 pitchers…pretty much equal. So in the end our pitching was about equal to UCLA. We only needed some hitters to step up and make it happen, but swinging for the fence is not going to happen against Rachel G. We looked pretty good, but that game was just an example of the many games this season where against Top teams we just come up short by 1 or 2 runs. Did we get beat by the long ball? Nope just UCLA stringing together walks and hits to score.

What hurt most last season was the lack of balance on offense, lack of taking walks, no speed, very little contact hitting. When you swing for the fence you have to make it out of the park or it’s just, with a fly out. Not very often in the top programs do out fielders let the ball drop out of their gloves. Maybe we can have a stat lover review the number of fly out we have compared to the teams that are beating us….

Long post so I will go for now…next up our season2022 opener #12 GEORGIA and how we started off where we left off.
Welcome to the board I think! Lol!

[QUOTE="GophersSBfan, post: 2460472, member:

We only needed some hitters to step up and make it happen, but swinging for the fence is not going to happen against Rachel G. We looked pretty good, but that game was just an example of the many games this season where against Top teams we just come up short by 1 or 2 runs. Did we get beat by the long ball? Nope just UCLA stringing together walks and hits to score.

What hurt most last season was the lack of balance on offense, lack of taking walks, no speed, very little contact hitting. When you swing for the fence you have to make it out of the park or it’s just, with a fly out. Not very often in the top programs do out fielders let the ball drop out of their gloves. Maybe we can have a stat lover review the number of fly out we have compared to the teams that are beating us….
#12 GEORGIA and how we started off where we left off.
[/QUOTE]

I think you are in agreement with some on the longball theory. This team is not very good at manufacturing runs.

Based on this fan board what ACE pitcher would want to come to the Gopher's. It appears that the love of past Pitching Queens that played weak schedules and only arrived to the dance once is huge disadvantage. Time for this board to be real about what needs to be done to have a great a softball program at this school. If you have the hope that this program can rest on the shoulders of 1 or 2 pitchers you have no softball IQ. I have never seen a game won when you don't score more then the other team! It takes runs to win games, very simple score more runs then you give up!

Swinging for the fence is a very bad way to get wins, it is equal to hoping to strike every batter. You have to take walks and string together hits so you can gain off the long ball. The fantasy that one player alone will make the Gophers a better program is a very sad thought process. Wake Gophers fans you need a team that plays together because the Coach inspires them to be better then they are!

Time to think again why would anybody want to come to play here....and make it happen!

Maybe it is time to live up to your moto Minnesota Nice and support with real facts about the program.

Maybe we need to go go back to the days of old and play weak ass teams to make us feel good, since this fan base can't hang with the best programs in NCAA with out falling apart!
A lot of what you write about has been discussed on this board over and over. For instance, the lack of clutch hitting results in a large number of RLOB. Frequent bases-empty HR, such as v. St. Thomas when the Gophers had 4 bases-empty HR and only 3 singles; with a few singles and doubles with ROB, they could have scored 15 runs or more. As for winning being a matter of outscoring the opponents, that's hard to do if your own pitchers alllow more runs than the Gophers score. It's a rare elite team anymore without stellar pitching and with depth in the circle. With the right combination of offense & defense, the Gophers imo are on the verge of climbing back in the top 20. Without the right combination, they'll just as swiftly fall into mediocrity. A delicate balance. It doesn't require one otherworldly talent, but a handful of really good players, who're also really good team leaders.

…It appears that the love of past Pitching Queens that played weak schedules and only arrived to the dance once is huge disadvantage. Time for this board to be real about what needs to be done to have a great a softball program at this school. If you have the hope that this program can rest on the shoulders of 1 or 2 pitchers you have no softball IQ. I have never seen a game won when you don't score more then the other team! It takes runs to win games, very simple score more runs then you give up!…

GophersSBfan ate his/her Wheaties this morning… and is ready to rumble!!!

Let me start by declaring that I like our 2022 roster. I would prefer each and every student athlete on this roster achieves her highest possible success as a Gopher and University if Minnesota student.

However, I find it important to defend what needs defending. Sara Moultan, Amber Fiser, and especially Sara Groenewagen were top-of-the-Big Ten type pitchers. They just were - the Big Ten softball record book on its website will show that - go look it up. With Sara Groenewagen, you can easily tell just how good she was by her post Gopher successes in the diamond - especially as the best pitcher on Silver medalist Team Canada. Beating weak teams is just so clearly not all those pitchers did.

I feel like the members of this board are quite aware of the strengths and weaknesses of this team… both this year and what could happen next year. Many of us believe Jessica Oakland and Addison Leaschber (among others - those two are just having particularly strong starts to their Senior years in California and Texas respectively) are going to further strengthen a quite strong roster of batters. Many of us see pitching as the area of more concern - now and in the future.

Finally, while the Maryland series really, really hurt - I am going to do my best to cheer on the Gophers (from my couch her in Nashville, TN) during these final 10 or so games remaining this season. They can get some wins that will be fun to watch. They have that potential.

Last edited:

Let me start by declaring that I like our 2022 roster. I would prefer each and every student athlete on this roster achieves her highest possible success as a Gopher and University if Minnesota student.

However, I find it important to defend what needs defending. Sara Moultan, Amber Fiser, and especially Sara Groenewagen were top-of-the-Big Ten type pitchers. They just were - the Big Ten softball record book on its website will show that - go look it up. With Sara Groenewagen, you can easily tell just how good she was by her post Gopher successes in the diamond - especially as the best pitcher on Silver medalist Team Canada. Beating weak teams is just so clearly not all those pitchers did.

I feel like the members of this board are quite aware of the strengths and weaknesses of this team… both this year and what could happen next year. Many of us believe Jessica Oakland and Addison Leaschber (among others - those two are just having particularly strong starts to their Senior years in California and Texas respectively) are going to further strengthen a quite strong roster of batters. Many of us see pitching as the area of more concern - now and in the future.

Finally, while the Maryland series really, really hurt - I am going to do my best to cheer on the Gophers (from my couch her in Nashville, TN) during these final 10 or so games remaining this season. They can get some wins that will be fun to watch. They have that potential.
Gopher pitching is problematic bec. they failed to bolster the staff. Between 2016 (when Fiser finished hs) & 2022 they've recruited no Moulton, Groenewegen, or Fiser caliber pitcher. Thankfully, Pease transferred in or there'd be a real gap.

I’m not in agreement on the theory that a team with little power that scores by stringing together hits will be more successful against top pitching than a team that has home run potential throughout its lineup. In modern softball, you need to be able to hit home runs. However, you need to be efficient on offense, too. This is where having an approach at the plate based on the situation is important. At bats following a lead off double or triple beg for a different approach than an at bat with two out and a runner on first.

I’m not in agreement on the theory that a team with little power that scores by stringing together hits will be more successful against top pitching than a team that has home run potential throughout its lineup. In modern softball, you need to be able to hit home runs. However, you need to be efficient on offense, too. This is where having an approach at the plate based on the situation is important. At bats following a lead off double or triple beg for a different approach than an at bat with two out and a runner on first.

I may be in the minority but it does not hurt to have the ability to pinch run and steal some bases.

Gopher pitching is problematic bec. they failed to bolster the staff. Between 2016 (when Fiser finished hs) & 2022 they've recruited no Moulton, Groenewegen, or Fiser caliber pitcher. Thankfully, Pease transferred in or there'd be a real gap.
I agree strongly with sentence 1 and 3 if this post. Regarding sentence 1, I wish Kiana Jones was still an option on our pitching staff.

My nit-pik on this post is regarding the second sentence and my argument is that Leavitt was quite a bit higher on the pitcher recruiting rankings (such that they are worth anything - debatable!) than any pitcher ever coming out of high school and becoming a Gopher. I think she will get a lot of wins in the Gopher uniform… but obviously she needs help from the team both in timely run production and supportive relief pitchers that throw regular strikes that sometimes miss the bats.

I looked it up..

Here is what I found ....correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't see that Pease's numbers are far off in her first 2 seasons as a Gopher then the others you quoted. Anybody know how you can compare RPI for each season? In 2017 Groenewegen's ERA was amazing at .63 while Fiser's was an impressive 1.68. In both seasons with Pease and Fiser it appears Pease's ERA is slightly lower that Fiser's. Then again in 2021 we only played BIG10 teams and I'm not sure the RPI on that season of only BIGTEN. The BIGTEN is kinda weak right?

The big issue is this season...wow. I guess having surgery on your arm can have a big impact on your control. Not sure how many pitchers would be pitching in the same season as a surgery but I guess they had no choice since they obliterated the back up pitching staff. Maybe Pease should have taken a RED SHIRT year instead of pitching this year. I think we saw early on in the season that her control was not what it was before, but the team needed her even if she is not healthy. Should have shut her down and let her recover. In any case we need our little MONKEYS to go out and entertain us. Let's all just keep turning the handle of music box cause I would hate to see them stop dancing for us.

"Dance Dance I'm falling apart at the seams"

Last edited:

A lot of what you write about has been discussed on this board over and over. For instance, the lack of clutch hitting results in a large number of RLOB. Frequent bases-empty HR, such as v. St. Thomas when the Gophers had 4 bases-empty HR and only 3 singles; with a few singles and doubles with ROB, they could have scored 15 runs or more. As for winning being a matter of outscoring the opponents, that's hard to do if your own pitchers alllow more runs than the Gophers score. It's a rare elite team anymore without stellar pitching and with depth in the circle. With the right combination of offense & defense, the Gophers imo are on the verge of climbing back in the top 20. Without the right combination, they'll just as swiftly fall into mediocrity. A delicate balance. It doesn't require one otherworldly talent, but a handful of really good players, who're also really good team leaders.
Mediocrity? A little melodramatic for my taste.

"GophersSBfan ate his/her Wheaties this morning… and is ready to rumble!!!"

Wheaties...A great Minnesota Classic! Amazing that they were invented right near the U!

Well that get's me thinking!!! Is this team eating their Wheaties? For that matter do they even get Wheaties? I don't think the University is using the same standards of nutrition guidance as they did pre-pandemic. I know how important it is to make sure the FOOTBALL team gets access to good quality food, just wonder if it's the same for Softball and other sports?

Gen Mills if you are listening ....send some Endorsements to the locker room!

Speaking of Locker Rooms! - shout-out to the donor that hooked the team up! Nice Nice Nice!
That's the fan base this team needs! Thank you! When I find out who you are you need big props!

Big thumbs down to the see thru pants they have to wear! I was always told in softball that girls needed to look good to play good! Embarrassing for the players to wear. I know we are a Nike School but let's be honest, Nike you can do better then that!

Now my most important rant of the evening.....Maybe it is time to throw some shirts out when the team gets hit's. Maybe One for a single and two for a double and so on....might get the crowd excited for hit's. Maybe then at the final game we could see all the highlights of fan's errors trying to catch T-Shirts....fun stuff I tell you!

YAY GOPHERS! I will be honest with you the spelling out thing is a bit hard and long maybe that's why you all are so quite. Got to save your voice for the spelling cheer!

Big thumbs down to the see thru pants they have to wear! I was always told in softball that girls needed to look good to play good! Embarrassing for the players to wear. I know we are a Nike School but let's be honest, Nike you can do better then that!
Agreed! The see through pants are awful. They stretch as the players move and look white. They look cheap.

As for the pitching, I think most agree that we should be deeper on the pitching staff. That has been the discussion for some time. I have seen most posters lamenting the fact that we do not have more options to turn to as the grind of season has progressed. No one has been critical of the players and their efforts to compete in the circle. Just an honest discussion of what has transpired to get us into this situation.

Most have been questioning this coaching staff (myself included) on their philosophy as it pertains to both hitting and pitching. I have been critical of the hitting coaches and the unwillingness to use the full roster in game day situations. I agree that having a staff of pitchers is necessary to be successful at the top of collegiate softball. However, to be truly elite you do need elite pitching to compete for Super Regionals and WCWS apperances.

Can't say I've ever paid any attention to what players are wearing. Didn't know it was a fashion show. My crude sandlot mentality probably. What I pay attention to, though, is my bias --- pitching. The pitcher is the focal point, in the circle in the middle of the field. You don't find elite teams without elite pitching. Hopefully Piper can build a strong staff in the circle. Will be interesting to see....

"GophersSBfan ate his/her Wheaties this morning… and is ready to rumble!!!"

Wheaties...A great Minnesota Classic! Amazing that they were invented right near the U!

Well that get's me thinking!!! Is this team eating their Wheaties? For that matter do they even get Wheaties? I don't think the University is using the same standards of nutrition guidance as they did pre-pandemic. I know how important it is to make sure the FOOTBALL team gets access to good quality food, just wonder if it's the same for Softball and other sports?

Gen Mills if you are listening ....send some Endorsements to the locker room!

Speaking of Locker Rooms! - shout-out to the donor that hooked the team up! Nice Nice Nice!
That's the fan base this team needs! Thank you! When I find out who you are you need big props!

Now my most important rant of the evening.....Maybe it is time to throw some shirts out when the team gets hit's. Maybe One for a single and two for a double and so on....might get the crowd excited for hit's. Maybe then at the final game we could see all the highlights of fan's errors trying to catch T-Shirts....fun stuff I tell you!

YAY GOPHERS! I will be honest with you the spelling out thing is a bit hard and long maybe that's why you all are so quite. Got to save your voice for the spelling cheer!
I'm trying to understand your posts and will do my best.

I've got to believe all sports have access to the athletes village and therefore can eat just as well. (Thank you land o lakes).
If you're expecting non-revenue sports to have as good of facilities etc as the revenue sports, that is bad business and ultimately bad for all sports at the university.

As far as the pants go, while many agree with you there are just as many that don't so I don't know if that will change.

I can't comment on your complaints about fans as I live in Illinois and go to games here. But fans are allowed to have opinions, are the reason softball is as big as it is, and the more fans the more "discussions" are going to take place.

Can't say I've ever paid any attention to what players are wearing. Didn't know it was a fashion show. My crude sandlot mentality probably. What I pay attention to, though, is my bias --- pitching. The pitcher is the focal point, in the circle in the middle of the field. You don't find elite teams without elite pitching. Hopefully Piper can build a strong staff in the circle. Will be interesting to see....
Might be time to pay attention to the small stuff in the Gopher program to be able to attract and retain great players. I know it seems strange to most male fan's but when you are recruiting new players (ACE's) you need to appeal as a well run program. Awesome locker rooms, uniforms , great support staff (nutritionist), nice stadium and a supportive fan base. The Gopher's are starting to check off some of those boxes, but don't underestimate appearance and how it plays to recruits. I understand that pulling from the local states and the even colder Canada is no problem, but in the end you need the warm weather state recruits if you want to be a ELITE program. Even Amber decided to head south after for a GA position and the last few coaches bailed to warmer homes. So understand if you really want to be ELITE then you have to do it every thing better!

Might be time to pay attention to the small stuff in the Gopher program to be able to attract and retain great players. I know it seems strange to most male fan's but when you are recruiting new players (ACE's) you need to appeal as a well run program. Awesome locker rooms, uniforms , great support staff (nutritionist), nice stadium and a supportive fan base. The Gopher's are starting to check off some of those boxes, but don't underestimate appearance and how it plays to recruits. I understand that pulling from the local states and the even colder Canada is no problem, but in the end you need the warm weather state recruits if you want to be a ELITE program. Even Amber decided to head south after for a GA position and the last few coaches bailed to warmer homes. So understand if you really want to be ELITE then you have to do it every thing better!
Allister went to her Alma mater and the other went for a big payday. The "other" will find that comes with expectations she might not be able to meet and probably had the door held open for her to leave mn.

I'm actually in the position of having a daughter being recruited right now so I'll have first hand knowledge of the things you talked about.

GophersSBfan - I assumed for some reason that you were a Gophers softball fan? I don’t know what gave me that impression? Oh well, my mistake.

Last edited:

I'm trying to understand your posts and will do my best.

I've got to believe all sports have access to the athletes village and therefore can eat just as well. (Thank you land o lakes).
If you're expecting non-revenue sports to have as good of facilities etc as the revenue sports, that is bad business and ultimately bad for all sports at the university.

As far as the pants go, while many agree with you there are just as many that don't so I don't know if that will change.

I can't comment on your complaints about fans as I live in Illinois and go to games here. But fans are allowed to have opinions, are the reason softball is as big as it is, and the more fans the more "discussions" are going to take place.

GophersSBfan - I assumed for some reason that you were a Gophers softball fan? I don’t know what gave me that impression? Oh well, my mistake.
BiG Gophers Fan....just don't keep my head in the hole!

First time poster here, but I just am perplexed at how inconsistent the Gophers have been this year. I've always enjoyed watching the Gophers play, but this year has been somewhat unbearable to see unfold. I really hope they can get this win over Michigan, if not their NCAA chances are pretty much over. I think they still have a shot with a victory tonight

It's a miracle... Minnesota takes down Michigan 3-2 behind a decent outing split between Leavitt and Pease. If they could just pick up one more win against Michigan and then a win against Wisconsin in their DH and 1 win against NW in their 3 game set I think Minnesota has a shot to make it to the tournament.

Interesting comments!

That was a fun win to watch as a fan. But what I particular think is fun at this crucial time of the season is… it looked like the team really enjoyed that win. They looked good out there after the last out; like they really were happy about this one.

I don’t know if the members of the team have had a whole lot of fun this year. Maybe they have but it hasn’t well penetrated through the video screen to the viewer. But tonight, at the end of the game, the team seemed different and truly happy. Now I just hope they can carry that attitude over through the next 7 or so games as we close out the year leading into the best weekend of the year: the Big Ten Softball tournament.

That was a fun win to watch as a fan. But what I particular think is fun at this crucial time of the season is… it looked like the team really enjoyed that win. They looked good out there after the last out; like they really were happy about this one.

I don’t know if the members of the team have had a whole lot of fun this year. Maybe they have but it hasn’t well penetrated through the video screen to the viewer. But tonight, at the end of the game, the team seemed different and truly happy. Now I just hope they can carry that attitude over through the next 7 or so games as we close out the year leading into the best weekend of the year: the Big Ten Softball tournament.
would be great for their confidence to go on a tear from here and knock off some big wins.

So we still think pitching is the problem? Two runs allowed in two games against Michigan and if it weren’t for the HR Queen we would have lost both. Time to shuffle up the lineup and build for next year!

Top Bottom