Gopher Softball 2022

AZGopher8

Reaction score
Good that the Gophers aren't having to deal with that
Agreed! Clearly, Coyle knew what he was doing when Jamie got an offer from Ole Miss and he let her go. I am sure he was relieved to be getting rid of a serious headache without having to destroy the Gophers program in the process.

Many on here obviously had some inside knowledge of what was going on. I was also a fan of the on field results that Jamie produced, but I am not willing to sell my character to do so. I would have been in support of the players on this fully. I know some players are entitled and some are prima donnas but this falls well into the category of abuse and manipulation that is unhealthy for all involved. I really feel for the players that had to go through it.

Hopefully, Jamie will receive what she has coming for the abusive treatment of her players.

Reactions: MRJ

mngolf

Reaction score
And I'm thankful that it seems Coyle responded in the best way that he could.

4EverAGopher

Reaction score
Is there an Athlete's Unlimited Softball thread started I am missing?

I see Sara G and Fiser are among the players available in their weekly draft system.

I tuned in today on FS1 and see neither are pitching.

MRJ

Reaction score
Not at all surprising for those who have followed the team closely.

It's also not surprising that Coyle didn't do much about it until the Ole Miss opening became available. Most athletic administrators will stick it out with their hires until the bitter end, regardless of circumstances. It's a difficult line to toe, but most ADs are reactionary rather than pro-active when it comes to issues of mental health imo.

rowdaboat

Reaction score
The Division I Competition Oversight Committee on Wednesday approved expanding the Women’s College World Series to a nine-day event, beginning with the 2022 championship.

📰 https://on.ncaa.com/mzwkce

#WCWS

The change to the format will eliminate the doubleheader for teams that lose on Day 1 of the event, and it will also add a day of rest for the two teams that advance to the finals

Hrothgar

Reaction score
Anybody go to the scrimmage today? Who looks like they will play short?
Defensively I'd say newcomers Chavez, Dowell, & Valencia all looked like extremely accomplished infielders. Then there are Costa, Dray, and Strelow returning. (They all had a great day hitting but the pitching by Wesleyan was mediocre at best; so hard to judge.) I'd say, from what was evident on defense today: Dowell (3rd); Strelow (SS), Chavez (2nd), Valencia or Dray or Costa (1st). In the circle, newcomers Leavitt & Hostettler looked really good to me. Of course, there were some on the roster who had only brief appearances.

Gopher68

Reaction score
Defensively I'd say newcomers Chavez, Dowell, & Valencia all looked like extremely accomplished infielders. Then there are Costa, Dray, and Strelow returning. (They all had a great day hitting but the pitching by Wesleyan was mediocre at best; so hard to judge.) I'd say, from what was evident on defense today: Dowell (3rd); Strelow (SS), Chavez (2nd), Valencia or Dray or Costa (1st). In the circle, newcomers Leavitt & Hostettler looked really good to me. Of course, there were some on the roster who had only brief appearances.
I attended the first game and stayed for 1 1/2 of the second. My impressions, like yours are somewhat tainted by the competition level.
Chavez looked really good made a nice play diving to the hole between 2nd and 1st getting the out with the bases loaded. 1 run scored but it could have been worse. She hit well and has serious speed.
Ava Dueck seemed to have a smoother delivery than I remember from last spring. Other than the bases loaded jam with nobody out that she got into (and worked her way out of), there wasn't much of a threat while she was pitching.
Leavitt also looked good. She has a very good rise ball and a change up to go with it. She seemed very poised on the mound.
Chloe Evans has the sweetest swing on the team.
Espalin, Valencia, and Dowell are going to add depth tht will be very helpful.

Hrothgar

Reaction score
I attended the first game and stayed for 1 1/2 of the second. My impressions, like yours are somewhat tainted by the competition level.
Chavez looked really good made a nice play diving to the hole between 2nd and 1st getting the out with the bases loaded. 1 run scored but it could have been worse. She hit well and has serious speed.
Ava Dueck seemed to have a smoother delivery than I remember from last spring. Other than the bases loaded jam with nobody out that she got into (and worked her way out of), there wasn't much of a threat while she was pitching.
Leavitt also looked good. She has a very good rise ball and a change up to go with it. She seemed very poised on the mound.
Chloe Evans has the sweetest swing on the team.
Espalin, Valencia, and Dowell are going to add depth tht will be very helpful.
I agree about Chavez. Very impressive; great fielding, speed to burn; sizewise she looked like a waif, but she hit a homerun that left the park in a huge hurry. Another Partain? If the opponents' pitching had been better, Evans' performance at the plate would've gone down as a career day. Hostettler came on to pitch the very last inning of the 2nd game; surprising to see how tall, strong she is and no nibbling around the plate, just threw strike after strike. Dowell looked every bit as good at third base as Kemmetmueller, maybe better --- a really quick release on the throw. Classof 98's original question was about SS; with her throwing arm, I'm be ok with Strelow at SS (hope she can hit .300 or so).

Top Bottom