Gopher Softball 2022

I am not watching the game today. However, when I have, I noticed that Denhartog has mis-judged a few balls this season. I see by the Live Stats today, she was tagged with an Error eventually allowing an unearned run.

Of course weather elements can play a role in a lot of balls hit to the outfielders. Again I feel this team's FOCUS just isn't there all the time like it needs to be and I am using this as an example of my point.
The fly DenHartog missed was very wind-blown. Coulda/shoulda (?) been caught but not an easy play at all. The day's biggest error won't appear on the box score. With runners on 1st & 2n
Thanks. I think we are bringing in pitchers and I would bet money that we are offering money so it has to be something else IMO. We have a solid program with a fairly long run of winning so it does not make sense that we have struck out with pitchers since Fiser.

d Chavez fielded a grounder and threw to first, too late, when she could've just taken a force out at 3rd.

The fly DenHartog missed was very wind-blown. Coulda/shoulda (?) been caught but not an easy play at all. The day's biggest error won't appear on the box score. With runners on 1st & 2n

d Chavez fielded a grounder and threw to first, too late, when she could've just taken a force out at 3rd.
As for pitching, if Pease and Leavitt come back next year and they get Oakland and Schwartz and they're as good as touted, maybe there's the solution to the pitching situation.

As for pitching, if Pease and Leavitt come back next year and they get Oakland and Schwartz and they're as good as touted, maybe there's the solution to the pitching situation.
While I am excited for those new players, the best way for us to be good next year is to finish strong this year.

The last third of the 2022 season through Big ten championship week is so important for the program’s present and future.

What are the chances Wednesday's SDSU/MN DH will be played? Snowed out?

Well, like I already stated, I was not watching the game. But this is a perfect example of a player at the Division 1 level not focused....yes a HUGE MENTAL ERROR. All I can do is shake my head after reading something like this. We are talking a Basic Softball play.

It isn't only in this sport, I personally feel you see a lot of Basic 101 skills missing in today's athletes in all sports......just my opinion.

Well, like I already stated, I was not watching the game. But this is a perfect example of a player at the Division 1 level not focused....yes a HUGE MENTAL ERROR. All I can do is shake my head after reading something like this. We are talking a Basic Softball play.

It isn't only in this sport, I personally feel you see a lot of Basic 101 skills missing in today's athletes in all sports......just my opinion.
Teaching undergraduates in the classroom, an instructor soon discovers that inconsistent performance is a pretty consistent aspect of the age group; oftentimes brilliant today, lackadaisical tomorrow. The same pattern is prettty evident on the athletic fields, too.

It was great to see the Gophers come back and win today v SDSU, but also clear that a strong pitching staff would've made it a routine win. The Gophers' team on the field can play with & often beat most all the top 25-ranked teams. Sad to see them at only 19-15. Hopefully next year they can keep the core of this team & add to it, but it won't help with the W-L stats without more pitching depth and strength. There's no reason for this program to be outside the top 25, but without superior pitching the downward slide will continue.

It was great to see the Gophers come back and win today v SDSU, but also clear that a strong pitching staff would've made it a routine win. The Gophers' team on the field can play with & often beat most all the top 25-ranked teams. Sad to see them at only 19-15. Hopefully next year they can keep the core of this team & add to it, but it won't help with the W-L stats without more pitching depth and strength. There's no reason for this program to be outside the top 25, but without superior pitching the downward slide will continue.
SDSU is a really good team. Look at their record this year and they have been kicking lots of butts and kicking them hard.

Another strong RPI strength of schedule win for the Gophers.

Maybe someone's asked this, but why are there no 2022 stats on the Gophers' website? I could only find stats for 2021 and earlier. (At random, I looked at seven other Big Ten softball websites, and 2022 stats were easily accessible.)

SDSU is a really good team. Look at their record this year and they have been kicking lots of butts and kicking them hard.

Another strong RPI strength of schedule win for the Gophers.
Agree great win! Why do you think they chose to go with Valencia in the 8th? Obviously it worked out for them but I just found it a little strange with her limited innings pitched.

Maybe someone's asked this, but why are there no 2022 stats on the Gophers' website? I could only find stats for 2021 and earlier. (At random, I looked at seven other Big Ten softball websites, and 2022 stats were easily accessible.)
I have posted this as an angry inquiry several weeks ago and I find this maddening. There is no reason that they should not have 2022 stats that are easy to navigate to on the drop down menu.

I find it unforgivable that the athletic department can’t get this posted correctly. 200 plus other universities can do it just fine. The U of M is the only softball team I have encountered that don’t have their stats east to get to on their website.

A fan should not have to save the 2022 stats page as a favorite or get to it by google search. It should be right there on the drop down menu.

Agree great win! Why do you think they chose to go with Valencia in the 8th? Obviously it worked out for them but I just found it a little strange with her limited innings pitched.
I believe Gophers twitter and the BTN+ announcer both mentioned that Pease was tiring and pitched the 7th inning mainly on guts.

It appears clear to me that there has been a noticeable change in how the pitchers are pitched since Big Ten play started. Games are shared now between the pitchers with Leavitt and Pease each getting 3-4 innings… tops.

I have posted this as an angry inquiry several weeks ago and I find this maddening. There is no reason that they should not have 2022 stats that are easy to navigate to on the drop down menu.

I find it unforgivable that the athletic department can’t get this posted correctly. 200 plus other universities can do it just fine. The U of M is the only softball team I have encountered that don’t have their stats east to get to on their website.

A fan should not have to save the 2022 stats page as a favorite or get to it by google search. It should be right there on the drop down menu.
Exactly.......so here it is again up to date.

I was not at the game and I see Strelow had a recorded error. What exactly happened that inning? Gophers gave up several unearned runs after that.

Nice to see Strelow came back in the 8th for the winning run.

I was not at the game and I see Strelow had a recorded error. What exactly happened that inning? Gophers gave up several unearned runs after that.

Nice to see Strelow came back in the 8th for the winning run.
She dropped a throw from Dowell on a force out play.

She dropped a throw from Dowell on a force out play.
I watched the game on BTN+. SDSU seemed to score a run in the second inning on a double to left field that was taken away from them --- or something happened that the announcers never explained. Can anyone describe what the announcers' confusion was about?

The batter was out of the box on c.ontact with the pitch. By rule, she was assessed a strike. It was her third strike so she was called out and runners returned to their bases

The batter was out of the box on c.ontact with the pitch. By rule, she was assessed a strike. It was her third strike so she was called out and runners returned to their bases
New rule this year with it being a strike instead of out, not really a fan of it as that

New rule this year with it being a strike instead of out, not really a fan of it as that
I like the change. I think umpires may be more inclined to make the call with result being a strike rather than an out. An illegal pitch is a ball, not a walk. Seems to level the penalty for being out of the box.

Exactly.......so here it is again up to date.

Thanks. These obviously should be available if you click on "Stats" on the Gophers' softball website, as they seemingly are at every other college's website. So I called the contact number given on that site. And I got a "mailbox is full" recording, so I couldn't even leave a message there. That led me to write the team's "Assistant Director/Communications." I'll let you know if that gets any results. How you build a fan base like this is beyond me.

Thanks. These obviously should be available if you click on "Stats" on the Gophers' softball website, as they seemingly are at every other college's website. So I called the contact number given on that site. And I got a "mailbox is full" recording, so I couldn't even leave a message there. That led me to write the team's "Assistant Director/Communications." I'll let you know if that gets any results. How you build a fan base like this is beyond me.
Well, back on February 28th I posted the following:

We are having some difficulties with the website at the moment and stats are not displaying properly as you'll be able to see at the link. They are always available here: https://gophersports.com/sports/softball/stats/2022 but have not created a landing spot for them until we get it sorted out.

I am blindsided by Pease’s performance this year. It really has had huge ramifications for the team. Is it injury related?

It’s a bummer. I feel bad for her.
Her pitching arm was all taped up last year and then someone on this board has posted at least two times within the last 6 months that she had shoulder surgery in the off-season.

Years and years of athletic competition can be hard on people’s bodies, I guess.

As someone stated earlier, is it fair that Valencia has to pitch innings for us this season? Has a team in the history of the sport ever had to forfeit games because they don't have available pitching? Just curious............

Pease back in and is out there just shaking her head, like in disbelief about something.

As someone stated earlier, is it fair that Valencia has to pitch innings for us this season? Has a team in the history of the sport ever had to forfeit games because they don't have available pitching? Just curious............

Pease back in and is out there just shaking her head, like in disbelief about something.
I noticed that too.

The bats are letting us down this game.

Dray has 12 RBI's so far this season and I have a very strong feeling most of those are from not being UNDER PRESSURE when at the plate. Hanson not playing/batting this season is a huge loss for us.

Last edited:

Thanks for the info.
It appears clear to me that there has been a noticeable change in how the pitchers are pitched since Big Ten play started. Games are shared now between the pitchers with Leavitt and Pease each getting 3-4 innings… tops.
It must be a strategy to save their energy, if possible. I think the Gophers on-field team is competitive with anyone, except of course Oklahoma; they play defense & can score runs. But the pitching is a shambles....they haven't recruited an elite pitcher since Fiser was a senior in hs & that was 2016. (Lucky that Pease transferred in.) Taking Pease out of today's game after 2 innings was pretty much an admission of defeat; it she was injured, why put her back in to start the 7th in a game that was already decided?

There's a decent amount of pitchers on ERA leaderboard with eligibility left at mid-majors that would be good transfer targets, but also a lot of graduating seniors making openings at higher caliber programs to compete against for them

I think a transfer is inevitable but would prefer if Hollifield just threw lots of strikes and Schwartz came in next year ready to play college level softball with Snippes ready to pitch well at D1 level the year after. But I assume a transfer is extremely likely.

Top Bottom